TN: 2014 Baudry La Croix Boissee Chinon Blanc

2014 Baudry Croix Boissee Chinon Blanc

It is not painfully young to the palate and there are sufficient tastiness that provides the signs of the components and potentials of this wine. The color showed a tired golden tint, rather than a lively, glistening one. The overall flavor is that of refreshing freshness, even though the presence of wood is obvious, although to me it came across more as barrels that are used. The complexity of the components is enjoyably evident with suggestions of slate, ripe white fruit, and even some spices.
I’ve not had many aged Chenin Blanc, but this is one that I anticipate with excitement that will get to the next tier of complexity when properly stored for 10 to 15 years. B+/A-

Drank with some Spanish/Menorcan tapas at El Quinto Pino in NYC.

edited: subject title

4 years later, with bottle from the same purchased lot …

2014 Domaine Bernard Baudry La Croix Boissee Chinon Blanc, Val de Loire.

Pretty, shiny, golden hue. Non-stop subconscious sniffing at the crazy good aromatics, a bit of wood and fresh cut pineapple.

Dry with a refreshing touch of tropical fruit. Slate, mineral, and acidity from ripe white fruit, all within restrained levels. Rich, but smooth. A relaxing, contemplative Chenin. Candied fruit in the lengthy, chewy finish.

Bottle was drank over 3 nightly dinners and retained the same characters each time.

A-

338EC538-5238-40A0-AC14-21EA99EE86AD.jpeg

Thanks for the update! What’s your take on it now regarding ageing, still looking forward to further development? When I had the 2015 a while ago I sensed it was young but lacking the experience I really can’t say that I can confidently predict what these are going to be like at 10 or 15 years old.

Yw with the update.

Btw, lacking experience may be the norm with Baudry’s Croix Boissee blanc, given the very miniscule production and with it being not as heavily conversed about in winegeek boards and circles as compared to his stellar reds. It doesn’t even surprise me that you’re the only one that added a post to my 4 y-o thread here.

In any case, as far as I can remember, I’ve only experienced 10 y-o vintages (2005 in 2015 @ Racines; 2009/2010 in 2019; all TNs posted in this board) that held up and drank well then and definitely more complex than the 6 y-o bottle I posted a TN on above. But the bottles didn’t seem to be worth cellaring any longer if looking for more complexity or further positive development. In those examples, hints of oxidative notes showed which I thought positively added to the complexity. Perhaps, Baudry designed them to be drunk within 10-15 years but not any longer? Hoping others with more experiences on aged Baudry blanc would chime in.

Had the 2016 a few hours ago, coincidentally. Thought it was big yet fresh: a Winter white, fatty and dense yet appropriately acidic and mineral, pairing wonderfully with tuna. However I did not find it nearly as interesting and complex as 2011 Chidaine Les Bournais, which was the last Chenin Blanc I had.

I’ve heard a lot about Baudry’s reds and I’m thinking of ordering them.

Also had the 16 recently. I think it is on the fatter side for chenin but really a very appealing wine that finds its own balance. Plenty of acid and minerality to support the weight.

What is the oldest vintage of Boisee Blanc?

Bernard started the winery in 1975. The current vines if I recall correctly were planted 20-25 years ago?

My general sense (having only tasted recent vintages) is the wine is one which will gain in expression for 10-15 years and then tail off but of course who knows.

Maybe I’ll keep some longer and check back in 20 years.

My guess would be still drinkable but not as penetrating, clearly defined, or as delicious as in the first 15 year window.

Would certainly be glad to be proven wrong.

Wow! Talk about a few others here who have come out of the Baudry Chenin closet, and engage. Appreciate it, guys, there’s not many of us here! All added good information, too.

I like the “winter white” descriptor because that is how I would have preferred to describe my at-release experience with the 2014. I did note that today’s version is still quite rich, but now much smoother, relaxing and refreshing to drink.

The early 2014 version was also definitely “fatter” and also showed good mineral level. But my recent bottle had noticeably shed quite a good amount of the baby fat and is getting ready for prime time.

4 years in the cellar clearly made a difference with the 2014, obvious enough to me to upgrade my rating by 1 notch, plus the fact that it did not change character over 3 nights of consumption. I don’t know if my 2014 experience is typical, but it could provide a glimpse of things to come if you’re holding 2016s.

That’s a good point on the oldest vintage. I looked up their website, was surprised to discover that they now have one, and the first Chenin vines for L-C-B were planted in 1994. I don’t know how the math works for potential first vintage, but can speculate on the earliest bottling that may have been available and it won’t be relatively that long ago.

I have 8 more of the 2014s and will also look to study evolution over a considerable period.

Final thought:

For now, I’ll admit that I consider this discussion to be more inquisitively academic than anything else as I have no impetus to buy, or keep buying, more of the L-C-B Blanc, maybe a bottle here-and-there, ONLY because I think the going prices that I’ve seen in my market at mid to high 40s is quite much for an unproven wine. I happen to have loaded up on the 2014s only because 4 years ago, a local merchant (surprisingly) priced all his bottles at ~$27 and I then went for the clean-up.

For my money, I’ve maintained that the Domaine’s consistently fine-drinking regular Chinon Blanc had been the better value at $20 or less.

Coincidentally, I opened one of these 2-3 weeks ago (time is a blur) and had similar thoughts. I really enjoy it and at the same upper 20s/lower 30s price point, happy with the purchase. I just wish the bottles weren’t so heavy!

Very cool thread, and nice work in calling up your original note and recent note Ramon.

I have purchased some of the 17 Boisse and their regular 18 cuvee, never have tried either, and await delivery.

Thanks. Hope to read about your experiences with those vintages.

Same big and heavy bottles as the red L-C-Bs, btw.