Premoxed 2008 Dauvissat

I’ve been on the record as saying I’ve had very little premox in Dauvissat wines, but tonight opened a 2008 Dauvissat-Camus Forest–dark deep gold with baked/cooked apple. no change over 2hours–worse. Then opened a 2008 AC Daivissat Chablis which was fine. Have had a premoxed Dauv-Camus les Clos from 2008 late last year. Holding up another 2008 D-C forest in the cellar, it’s much darker than a 2008 Dauv Sechet. Despite a pretty good track record for Dauvissat, I’m concerned about 2008.

I opened a 2007 Dauvissat Forest last week which looked a little darker than I liked. However, it was simply perfect-best white wine of the year so far by a large margin. Sorry about the 2008. I have a few various bottle so if I can find one I’ll put it in the queue.

Yep. We had a premoxed 2008 Dauvissat Clos at the 2008 vintage assessment dinner where we were all convinced it was a Fevre.

That botrytis makes it very hard to distinguish oxidized from over honeyed sometimes. I’m not a fan of the 08s based on the vintage assessment dinners. The exception being the stellar 2008 PYCMs.

Fred–I buy mostly chablis these days, but also not a huge fan of the 2008’s as you say. Pretty ripe for chablis and the botrytis detracts some from typical ‘chablicity’. Both of my recent premoxed dauvissats were Dauv-Camus, although I’m not expecting there will be much of a difference in rates.

Only thing I can offer (and I have no explanation for it) is that I noticed Dauvissat’s wine go through a rather strong “honeyed” phase (I’d say between age 4 and 10, roughly), sandwiched between a “citrusy” phase early, and a “mineral” phase later. I’m trying to avoid drinking them when they’re 6-8 years old. But of course I have 2009 Forests last week that didn’t show that character at all…

Right–I think the 4-6or 7year stretch for the PC’s and 4-8-10 for Grand Cru (well, primarily Clos) can be a dull phase. I hadn’t really thought about the honeyed component being heightened, but I think the 08’s do have more of that than average. I pulled the 08 because they seemed to be maturing more quickly and thought it would be ok maturity wise. Of course this one was out and out oxidized. (interesting–today the wine has lightened considerably in color but still has the overwhelming baked apple/apple cider thing)

I noticed it as well in the past and that’s what gives me hope, to be honest.

This is interesting…almost all my Dauvissat enjoyment has shown improvement in the wines the next day when left in an open decanter to suck up the air.

It does sound somewhat off.

FWIW, I try to never open a Dauvissat wine before 10 years after the vintage. It takes discipline, but I think it is worth it.

I wonder if he wine was oxidized or reduced. Either way it souds like 2008 there could be dicey.

Stuart–I have a lot of experience with reduced whites and the behavior of Dauvissat. I routinely leave my questionable whites around till the next day, not that I don’t trust my assessment, but just to observe what happens. But this wine and the Clos in Dec. were clearly oxidized/advanced. Baked apple/burnt caramel aren’t typical reduced Dauvissat flavors.

It is interesting that with reduced wines, I’ve often noticed the darker color clearing dramatically with air, a phenomenon I don’t see discussed much. Interestingly, the above oxidized wine also lightened up considerably with air–in about two hors after opening, and 24 hours later as well. It makes me wonder if the color change with air is separate from the oxidation/reduction issue.

I think the last thought it a good question…as I’ve have had my weirdest WB experiences with Dauvissat, and really never figure out exactly what’s going on.

OK–next bottle of 2008 Dauvissat-Camus la Forest–pristine, slightly young, a little richer than average, delicious. I guess this is the way things will go. hopefully most all of my remaining bottles will go this direction.