PSA:2013 Forman

Just received this. Last chance to buy before price increase (modest compared to most). This wine has been a bargain for a loooong time, by California standards and it ages quite well.

Dear Friends,

Vintage 2013 produced one of the finest reds that has come from this property in its 32 year history. The season was harsh, however the unusual sustainability of the incredible soil and our experience for the last 3 decades tending the land proved invaluable, and the wine is utterly incredible.

For those of you who respond to this 2013 Forman Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon release letter we will honor our loyal customers with our current $95 price. I am compelled thereafter to raise the price to $115, however, we will continue to pay shipping. I don’t raise prices often and have throughout my career been, I feel, very conservative on price vs quality and how we measure up to the world’s finest wines, which I try to emulate. I hope you all understand my reasoning.

Thank you for your continued enthusiasm over Forman wines.

Sincerely,
Ric Forman

View the tasting notes for the 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon.

97+ “A totally dazzling wine, Ric Forman’s 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon is easily one of the wines of the vintage. The 2013 is dense, powerful and explosive, with fabulous energy and tons of sheer intensity. Graphite, smoke, tobacco and layers of dark-fleshed fruit all open up in the glass. I will not be surprised at all if it merits a higher rating at some point in the future. This 2013 is a super-classic, old-school Napa Cabernet to treasure for the next three decades. Best of all, Forman’s Cabernet is probably the single greatest value in Napa Valley Cabernet.”

• ANTONIO GALLONI

Thank you for this call to action. I responded admirably IMO.

The 1991 was a classic. This sounds like one also.

Likewise, 2010.

Looks like one can only buy these by the case? Or am I missing something?

Pretty sure that is the case (no pun intended) with Forman picking up the cost of ground shipping. As an aside, I had the 2014 Chardonnay over the weekend and it’s a stunner.

Thanks for the heads-up. Great wine and great people!

Thanks,
Ed

In the first few years of the whole cult cab thing and they were all under $125 it was generally by the case except for Screaming Eagle. It’s a good thing that it’s offered by the case. It means they aren’t charging $200-750 a bottle so that no one can afford a case. It also forces us to drink the wine the right way, open a bottle every 18 months or so and track its development, the way castle owners tracked Bordeaux in the olden days when they weren’t setting hounds on trespassers or throwing vassals in the oubliette.

No malo? Or is that my imagination?

Did anyone tip-off Chris Atkins about this?
:slight_smile:

No malo.

I’m in for first time as mailing list buyer. Not wild about case buy minimum but 2013 seems like the logical year to take the plunge, and the relative value versus the peer group is compelling. Plus reality is setting in that a couple of my Napa buys will soon cross my $200 Maginot Line and I will be looking to purge and replace anyway.

FYI, anyone interested should download Ric Forman’s podcast interview with Levi Dalton on I’ll Drink To That. Interesting stuff from a Napa pioneer. Really, all of Levi’s interviews are well done.

Anyone looking for help filling the case purchase message me I would take a few.

Anyone try Forman’s Château La Grande Roche '13?

I’ve never tried the wine, and would like 4-6 of these. Anyone want to split a case, especially in Chicago area (I’m on North Shore burbs), please let me know by PM. Thanks!

If anyone is interested in splitting a case 6/6, I live in Atlanta, but can ship 2 day at amazing rates ($15 for 6 bottles) with my company discount. Of course, no guarantees when they can ship to me

Yeah Mike, I was tipped off, and a case of 2013 now rests in my cellar. If it’s as good as the 2010 we had a couple of weeks ago, which I suspect it may indeed, then I will be one happy connoisseur!

It’s way too hot at this point to ship ground to southeast Louisiana whether or not Forman is picking up the tab. The website doesn’t seem to offer any other options.

JF- Your going to love this wine. As for dropping top $ cabs I’m in the same boat.

Chris- good to hear about the comparison to 2010. That is a stunner of a wine and my favorite post 2000 Forman.

Good reminder on the chard too. One of my favorites and a great qpr at $40