Pronunciation Of Cristal?

Most seem to say Crist Owl. Is this correct? If so, why instead of crystal? Thanks.

I’ve never heard anyone pronounce it that way. I think it is kris-TAHL

Okay, I’ll roll with that. Anyone know why it’s pronounced kris-TAHL instead of kris-tal?

We’re on familiar terms so I just go with “kris”

Because that’s how it’s pronounced in French.

$$$

Chris Tall.

(i’m not)

No, not like TALL … [whistle.gif]

Yes, kris-TAHL seems to be a good way to write it in English.

ROEDERER might be more difficult … in German we would write “Röh-derer” - but I cannot think at the moment for an English equivalent for “oe” = “ö” [scratch.gif]

Yes, Roederer stumps most English-speakers who don’t speak German, I think.

I’m hard-pressed to think of an equivalent vowel sound, at least in American English. The U in “butter” as it’s pronounced in the north of England and Scotland comes pretty close to the umlauted U in German, to my ear. So perhaps there’s an equivalent of the umlauted O in some English dialect/accent somewhere.

I thought it was ‘krissy’?

Go to any strip club and wait a few minutes. She’s bound to be called to the stage eventually.

Yes, Gerard I agree. In German, “tall” is not pronounced like it is in English.

That sound is close, John, but if you say u in butter and the ö, your mouth changes shape. The ö is formed with cheeks pinched in and lips forming a tight little circle (cartoonish fish lips?).

Try going back and forth; soft u to ö to see what I mean.

I still call it “Lee-roy.”

I don’t say “Pee-troose,” though.

Anybody call it “Kai-muss?”

“Ow-bert?”

I enjoy these chats.

We don’t bring that up that was Jay Z’s pet name and that got um a little complicated.

Among the best known consumers it’s: Criss-tal. “tal” pronounced like “pal”.

Diddy: “Lost your touch we kept ours, poppin’ Cristals”

Biggie Smalls: “Live happily ever after in laughter - Hah, never seen Cristal pour faster - And to those bastards”

RT

Lol, that’s like Sauvignon Blan-K (the lol is from the fact that in french the C in Blanc is actually silent).

As for the Cristal, I don’t know about France but in Quebec we pronounce it kris-tal (not that Quebec is necessarily the reference).

If you’re supposed to pronounce it in French, wouldn’t it be “crees-tahl”? Doesn’t the letter “i” make an “ee” sound?

Yes. Long “e” sound

Sorry, but “Cree-stahl” just sounds so movie bad guy.

Anton Chigur prolly pronounces it “Cree-stahl.”

“Cree-stahl” sounds like, “Badges? We don’t need no stinkin’ badges. Pass the Cree-stahl.”

champagne.gif