2014 vs 2013 Napa

A couple of weeks ago, we had the opportunity to taste several 2014 Napa/Sonoma cabs from barrel and I was impressed across the board. We tasted all of the Rudius wines, 8 different lots from Hidden Ridge and Turnbull Black Label - not a large sample by any means but a decent cross section of appellations at least.

It reminded me of tasting the 2008s from barrel. I was impressed then and to this day prefer most 2008s to the 2007s. For those who have tasted more 2014s than me, what are your thoughts?

2014 may have some similarities to 2008, but I’m not sure '07 is close to '13 in terms of structure. 2007 needed the hype because it was a huge crop, and so there was a lot of wine to sell, and the wines turned out to lack complexity, at least in comparison to the reviews and hoopla surrounding the vintage.

Always preferred 2008 over 2007 in Napa. Many 2007’s, including ones with strong track records have grossly underperformed.

From those I have talked to, 2013 is nothing like 2007 in Napa.

2014? I am not sure.

I’ve tasted some 2015, which I liked a lot. Saving for that, but maybe it’s just me. I would love to hear about how the 2014 compares to 2013 and 2012 from those in the know.

Back the truck up on the 2013’s. '14 and of course '15 way too soon to tell

So what’s on your shopping list for the 2013’s?

1 Like

2013’s are muscular wines (just big all the way around - big fruit, big tannins, big structure and great mouthfeel) - I love the 2013 vintage and it is one to cellar. Patience will be greatly rewarded with 2013. 2014’s are a combo of 12 and 13 (leaning toward 12 in fruit profile but not as soft in mouthfeel). If they were all in bottle I would drink 12 followed by 14 than 13 in that order. This morning we tasted through our 2015’s and they are showing great promise - I really wish I had more of these wines in barrel (our yields were down quite a bit in 15)

What she said!!! [cheers.gif]

Haven’t had any 14’s yet but I’m very curious. I may be in the minority that doesn’t like the 13s as much (too much fruit for me).

But you do like 2012? I only ask because I find 2013 to have the things '12 is soft on; acid and tannin. Far more overt fruitiness in the 2012, at least at the $150+ price points.

Been loading up on 2013 Odette Cabs, PlumpJack, Nickel and Nickel (especially the Beatty Ranch, Rock Cairn and Sori Bricco), have bought a couple Scarecrow M’Etains (slightly less quality than the first label but the QPR much higher in my opinion), and SLV and Fay from Stags Leap Wine Cellars. Their Cask 23 comes out later in year and I’m sure it will be delicous 5-8 years down the road…

Also, been buying the 2010 Brunello’s (the vintage of a lifetime from everything I’ve read)

To be honest, I haven’t had any $150+ bottles. I’ve had three 2012s: Mondavi Oakville, Freemark Abbey Knights Valley, and Napanook. I liked the Napanook the most by far. Thinking about it… maybe I just don’t have a Cali Cab palate… ?

I was able to talk to a few winemakers during a “Matter of Taste” event in San Francisco last November, and the consensus seemed to be that the '14 Cabs from Napa would have an earlier and shorter drinking window than the '13 vintage, and that the '13 vintage would be especially long-lived. A very small data point.

Thanks,
Ed

This has been pretty easy for me… I don’t need to talk to winemakers or look for RP ratings.

Generalizations
The 2012 overall drinks very well now and has from release.
The 2013 too one dimensional and tannic
The 2014 drinking surprisingly well early.

My 2013’s will spend a long time in the cellar. I will continue with my 2012, 2014, 2013 strategy.

Thanks for the input. I definitely agree on the assessments of the '12s and '13s. Hopefully '14 turns out to the best of both worlds.