Help with 2005 Dominus

As a relative newcomer to the wine world, there aren’t too many big purchases I have made, until now. I have recently purchased a bottle of 2005 Dominus for what I thought was a good price ($145 inc tax) compared to what I am seeing these days with the new vintages.

As this was a big purchase, I would like to get the best experience I can, so I figured this would be the best place to find a large number of people who have experience with Dominus. I was wondering how long I should let the wine breathe before drinking, and if I should decant or not. All help is welcomed. Thanks in advance [cheers.gif]

every post will be a different answer. I would stand the bottle up a couple weeks and decant off the sediment before leaving for the restaurant, rinse the bottle and pour back into the bottle (a double decant), then watch the wine evolve over the evening.

2005 was a weird vintage in Napa—high yields but cooler fruit. You might find some green notes too.

You are going to get a range of opinions here. Personally I would decant, but only shortly before drinking and then let the wine evolve over the evening. Extended aeration will soften the wine but I suspect it won’t improve the aromatics.

That is a damn good price. I sold mine for more than that to a reseller.

Decanting for sediment for an hour is a good idea with most American Cab based wines. You’ll have to see how it evolves after that to know the amount of air it needs to be at its best.

Jerome,

I know you didn’t mention taking it to a restaurant, but Alan did. My recommendation would be to enjoy this bottle at home where you have control over the environment. Pushy waiters trying to overfill your glasses, too warm of a temperature, and excessive noise can substantially diminish your fine wine experience. Also at restaurants people tend to consume a bottle more rapidly, and you want to savor every sip and smell of this special wine over an extended period of time. Very important, make sure the temperature in your house, or outside, is in the low to mid sixties for optimal enjoyment.

I will be drinking it at home so I will be able to concentrate on it. I actually wanted to full appreciate the wine, so I wasn’t going to really have a meal, maybe just some bread and cheese. I was just wondering how long to aerate before starting to drink.

Also, as I don’t want to have a meal with it, I was wondering if you had any suggestions for simple cheeses or charcuterie just to help it along.

Well, I actually never ended up drinking that bottle but am getting around to do it soon now after the debacle that was the 1987 Mondavi Reserve. Hopefully this will be a far better experience. I am getting a wild range of answers some even saying up to 6 hours in a decanter… which seems a bit far-fetched.

Jerome, though I’ve never had the pleasure of the '05, I’ve consumed multiple bottles of every Dominus through '02…I now have a self imposed 15 yr rule due to the price and my prior experience. This wine ages extremely well and there should be no hurry. I wouldn’t over aerate though, as you’ll lose more than you’d gain. Personally, I’d open the wine two hours before hand, taste and follow. If it’s not in a good place an hour before it’s to be served, then decant.

Can’t go wrong with that advice… especially if drinking at home where you’re not on anyone else’s timeline or timing a dinner reservation.

I agree but I’d go slightly further. I wrote elsewhere today that a 1995 Dominus, not a great year, was perfect this summer and that I would expect a 2001 to need serious decanting. I can’t imagine a two or three hour decant doing anything but substantially improve a 2005 Dominus.

I had a '01 Dominus over the weekend and it was
Open for business within an hour of decanting. Perfect condition and absolutely gorgeous. Still very much on the young side. It will be fascinating to see how this one evolves.

Also (not really an argument) but I’ve found 95 to be an amazing year in Napa. '94, '95 and '96 provided a tremendous amount of fantastic Napa vino.

Thanks for all your input. I’m thinking of playing it safe and decanting for an hour then doing a quick check to see how far along it is.

I strongly agree about 1995 being great in general. I meant 1995 was not a great year for Dominus supposedly.

I didn’t know that. Now that you’ve pointed that out though, I do recall seeing a lot of mediocore ratings issued at release for a lot of '95 Napa wines that have proven to be far from accurate. Two years ago it was easy to pick up some amazing deals on the '95 vintage but people have wised up and prices have adjusted accordingly.

Pop and pour. All the wine will need is 5 minutes of air or so. And if you get a little of sediment at the end, don’t worry. It won’ kill you.