76` Taitt, 70` d`Quem, 89` La Chapelle, 90` Pichon, 92` Shafer HSS, Ramonet and Mongeard

Dinner with a few good friends at the classy Stonehouse Restaurant In Montecito included the following wines:

1976 TAITTINGER MILLESIME BRUT RESERVE- this bottle was amazingly giving and still viable; it was such a treat that was even more appreciated after observing the strange gray- yellowish gold color and wondering what would follow; it was beautifully balanced with some fine acidity and delicious creamy rich and unexpected very ripe peach and butterscotch notes with a touch of buttered toast and even some ripe pineapple coming in late; certainly this was mature bubbly in a good place.

2005 DOMAINE RAMONET MORGEOT CHASSAGNE-MONTRACHET 1ER CRU- steely, mineral, flint aromatics along with nice citrus, pear and green apple notes supported by good acidity, great mouthfeel and a long finish; in a good place now and no pre-mox issues.

2002 DOMAINE MONGEARD-MUGNERET GRANDS ECHEZEAUX GRAND CRU- stunning! Amazingly still young and vibrant fresh fruit notes of black raspberry, strawberry and red and black cherry all enhanced with Asian spices, a silky texture and a hit of cranberry coming in by mid palate; the tannins are easy and evident and along with good acidity, this promises to evolve into an even greater wine.

1989 JABOULET HERMITAGE LA CHAPELLE- one of the best bottles I`ve had from this vintage and most have been pretty stellar; pepper, cinnamon, spice and everything nice accentuates the plum, blueberry and black currant fruit; it is full on, has wonderful unfolding layers of depth, a soft texture and LONG finish. WOW!

1992 SHAFER HILLSIDE SELECT CABERNET SAUVIGNON NAPA- decanted; on an night where every wine is showing up to be counted, this fell right into place and shined big time; showing a dark purple color, this was very complex with concentrated milk chocolate, vanilla and cedar laced blackberry and black currant notes abounding; it was silky smooth, had a long finish and demonstrated consistent notes much later on in the evening during a re-visit.

1990 PICHON-LALANDE LONGUEVILLE COMTESSE de LALANDE PAUILLAC- and one more bottle coming up as good as any I`ve had over many years, this still is young, vibrant, evolving and an eye opener as all at our table took a look around the table after it was first poured and tasted; the nose had some cedar, leather and licorice that melded into the tasty black cherry, black currant and blueberry fruit; all was bundled up and delivered in a smooth, lush texture which carried on to extend the climaxing finish; this was full bodied, seamless and a sensory treat in every way.

1970 CHATEAU dYQUEM SAUTERNES- 750 ml; my goodness, this came out of the ice bucket on another table as a surprise and it was definitely so; as with some of the other bottles on this night, this was a the top of any 70 dYquem Ive had; bright golden color; strong aromatics waft out of the glass with suggestive pleasure forthcoming; loaded and full on, it had honeyed vanilla butterscotch, stone fruit notes of peach, apricot and nectarine, hints of toasted almonds and a thick almost chewy texture that coated the palate for early next day pleasure; having already been satiated, we did not drink a major portion of the bottle.

This was the kind of evening I dream about where all wines show up and there were no flaws. It was the epitome of the cliché, “more pleasure leads to more pleasure”.

Cheers,
Blake

Musta been a fruit day!

Been holding on to my singleton of La Chapelle. Can you give an idea of where this is in its aging curve?

MTIA

BTW, Great notes and I always enjoy reading your notes on what seems like consistently wonderful wines.

We too tasted a surprisingly good bottle of 1990 Pichon Lalande at your wine offline few years ago. I would not say it was as good as the 1996 we tasted last month but it was definitely better than the notes and scores from critics. May be they had few different bottling lines?

Great notes, sounds like an even better event. I have a 70 d’Yquem waiting for that fateful day…

Mark, as Ive experienced over the years, the 89 La Chapelle has had some up and down moments, but of late, all up and ascending to greater heights. I`m inclined to think it is finely arriving and ready to show its grace and charm on a consistent basis. This bottle was exactly that.

Sanjay, this bottle got into the right bottling line. I have a case of the 95 and have been waiting to go there. Perhaps its time to dive in for a sampling.

I wish you as good of an experience as we had. It was stellar and demanded small tastes and then a sit back and enjoy moment with a smily face while licking my chops.