Zalto Universal vs. Gabriel Gold

I think this warrants a thread. I recently bought a 6-pack of Gabriel Gold (thanks, Chris! buy with confidence) and I’m probably a little too excited about comparing them with my current favorite for most wines, the Zalto Universal. I drink Pinot Noir, Gamay, Nebbiolo, and any really cool climate red out of a Zalto Burgundy, which is probably superior for most of those wines, so I won’t bother with that unless I find an unexpected result. Even if no one else cares to contribute I’ll post my impressions. Maybe some of you can at least tell me why this is pointless or I’m going about it the wrong way.

2015 Anne Amie Cuvee Midnight Saignee Rose is delicious out of the Zalto. Aromatically, it has a broadness from neutral oak fermentation and a delicious, focused red fruit character. Out of the Gabriel, the aromas are more focused and clear. It’s like better quality acoustics. On the palate, even though it makes little sense to me that there would be much of a difference, there is. The Gabriel shows slightly more fruit, which is fresher and more defined vs. the Zalto. The subtle earthy character is still there, but not as prominent. It’s a bit of a different wine in both cases. I’m extremely happy with the Zalto, but on the nose and palate, I do have a clear preference for the Gabriel.

I’ll follow up a few times over the next couple of weeks with comparisons of other wines.

Love this thread as I’ve done the same thing comparing GG to Zalto, and have had the exact same results. GG has consistently been noticeably more expressive aromatically, and thus more enjoyable (for me) on the palate.

This has been my experience so many times over that I pretty much reach for my Gabriel Glasses every time now (say a good 98% unless I’m drinking a killer cab where I’ll use Zalto Bordeaux or Riedel Bordeaux Somm). I’ve even snagged some of the machine blown for larger gatherings and for drinking outside by the pool, as they’re an awesome value and perfect for those occasions IMHO.

And another plug for buying glasses from Chris. Flawless transaction and absolutely stellar customer service.

Aroma plays a HUGE factor in taste perception. While I knew about this, I didn’t know how much of a difference it could make when using different wine glasses until I put Riedel Vinum Bordeaux against a Spiegelau Burgundy Hybrid.

Aroma plays a HUGE factor in taste perception.

Interesting. I’d like to learn more. Do you know the physiological pathways that the glass influences when it comes to our taste perception?

I also bought Zalton (universal and burgundy) and the Gabriel from Chris. I find myself reaching for the Gabriel glasses most often, except when I am drinking pinot noir.

Small world. I bought 6 Zalto Universals late last year and 6 Gabriel Golds last week, all courtesy of Chris. I’m really looking forward to the head to head. The ZU’s are featherweight and the GGGs are not much heavier. I’ll try to compare them soon and post back my impressions.

Thanks for the kind words.

I get this question quite a bit so I’ll throw out the answer I tend to use.

In my own experience the Gabriel stems provide less aromatic focus (intensity) but a broader spectrum of aromas. I’ve found the Gabriel to excel in younger wines (both red and white) and do exceptionally well with bubbles.

I have found no bias in which I grab for and tend to pour wines into both out of curiosity.

My wife happens to prefer, almost universally, wines from the Gabriel. I’ve found Rhone reds to be better in the ZU.

What has really shown to be interesting is pouring Chablis or white Burgundy into the ZU, GG and then the Z Burgundy. The Burgundy is normally the winner here - sometimes by impressive margins.

I was under the impression the GG Golds were lighter…seeing something like 95g…whereas Zalto Universals are 115-116g…

I’ve only tried the GG machine blown…which are nice but a bit too chunky to switch out Zaltos…

Zalto Burgs are crazy proper for elegant Chardonnay.

I stand corrected. I just weighed them on my kitchen scale and the GGGs are lighter. About 90g compared to 115ish.

Can you please share where you bought your Gabriel Golds and the price?

As echoed by most in this thread - I’d highly recommend sending a PM to Chris Freemont (7th poster in this thread).

Best prices I’ve seen, and phenomenal customer service.

thanks!

I find Zalto Bordeaux to be more universal than the Universal.

+1 on both, though I’ve never tried the Zalto Burgundy (on white Burg)…sounds promising!

Last night, a Wittmann 100 Hills Riesling Trocken was, surprisingly, pretty much exactly the same in both glasses.

Tonight, 2013 Brundlmayer Gruner Veltliner Terrassen, a subtle style of Gruner with a good amount of depth, is more savory in the Zalto, while the fruit comes out more and the overall intensity on the nose is greater with the Gabriel, which for this wine is a good thing. There seems to be a bit more fruit on the palate as well on the Gabriel. Overall, it’s really nice in both glasses, but the Gabriel is clearly my preference.

YES, the nose of the Zalto Universal is not the best. BUT nothing beats Zalto Universal regarding Riesling. Also certain GV and Riesling are great in Zalto Bordeaux.

BTW, one of the best german winemaker, Markus Molitor, tested all stemware available on the market. What did he choose at the end?! ZALTO Universal for the tastings at the estate.

http://markusmolitor.com/en/

Cheers,
Martin

P.S. also Schäfer-Fröhlich, Wittmann, Keller etc. use Zalto Universal.

All this talk about Gabe Gold, and the opportunity to send some business Chris’ way, got the best of me so I grabbed a 6-pack. Looking forward to the side by side comparison with the Zalto Universal. Thanks Chris!!