Need board assistance: who shipped to me?

I received a UPS notice via email a couple days ago for a pending shipment to be delivered today to my home address…figured it was something my wife ordered as I always have wine shipments sent to work address. Arrived home today and we had a UPS notice requiring the signature of someone 21 or older…no exceptions and can’t be delivered to a neighbor…PITA. So tomorrow I will head over to UPS depot to pick up…located 30 minutes away in the middle of nowhere, but have no choice.

The shipper is “FL DIST CR 4” and the package weighs 36lbs…tracking says the package originated in Sarasota, FL. I know Turley does cold chain via Florida, but I don’t have anything pending from Turley not to mention what winery in their right mind would ship this time of year…next three days are forecast to be the three hottest days of the year…approaching 100 degrees.

Did anyone else happen to receive notice of a shipment from “FL DIST CR 4?”

Thanks in advance…

Adam

36lbs certainly sounds like a case of wine, but it could be anything heavy (a computer or accessories, books, bricks,…). What does your wife say, is she expecting anything on the large side?

If it is wine, I agree about wondering who in their right mind would ship in the middle of July unless it’s iron clad, door-to-door cold chain. What state are you in?

Maybe repost on the wine forum??

i don’t know OP, but i doubt it.

Hey, FREE WINE, sounds pretty good!

Frank…I live in Nashville…literally the hottest week of the year.

I am hoping to make it to UPS this afternoon…will post.

Once, Max Marinucci sent some Barolos for Bill Klapp…to my home.
After several phone calls, e-mails, or PMs to both persons went
unanswered for two weeks, I chose to dispose of them as organically
as possible.

what?! lol. What barolos you end up drinking? :smiley:

Giacosa 2005, if I recall.

36lbs is a little bit light for a 12btl case + packaging. Those are closer to 48lbs depending on producer. The bottles we sell range from 3.4 to 4.4lbs each in most instances

“Mystery” solved. It is a case of wine from Plonk Wine Club. Never heard of them. A local real estate guy sent it to me as a thank you for introducing him to a prospect that led to an investment.

I called him immediately to say thank you…he probably didn’t think twice about ordering from a wine club in the summer, though I did ask him if I should expect more…the paperwork inside made a reference to enjoying my monthly mixed case. Really the last thing I need at home…already have trouble hiding the purchases.

The bottles are all warm to the touch, but no leakage or pushed corks…three bottles each of a Paso Cab, a Central Coast Pinot, Chilean Riesling and Spanish Rose Brut. Probably set him back $150 or more with shipping.

Will share with a couple colleagues and the rest for short-term daily drinkers…will post impressions.

Interestingly, the UPS lady at the depot said that she had four other boxes of wine and that was just what she had in her area…that there were many other boxes in other parts of the facility. I asked her if this week was an anomaly or typical during the summer…she said the latter, and mentioned one customer who routinely comes in on Friday to pick up everything delivered that week…I just don’t get it.

Hey Adam
From their website:

The Plonk Wine Club is the brainchild of Etty Lewensztain, a food and wine expert and Los Angeles native who is certified by the esteemed Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET) and the American Sommelier Association. Etty was honored in Wine & Spirits magazine’s “30 Under 30” list of top young talent in the wine world and was named an “Online Impresario” by Food & Wine magazine. She has also been featured on Forbes.com, on the DETAILS magazine blog: The Daily Details, on Snooth.com, in Daily Candy, Thrillist, Tasting Table, The Huffington Post, and many other food, wine, and lifestyle publications and websites

Holy cow. I thought you were making a sarcastic joke when you said “Plonk Wine Club”, but that’s really its name?!

Some “certifications”. She either didn’t learn a damn thing from them or doesn’t give a crap about customer service.

or 3 bottles of P-Y C-M.

My wife received a notice today for an adult sign package from UPS weighing 3lbs.No idea who from.Good luck, we are gone for the next month.

I made that mistake once. I found a Fedex note on my door that they needed a signature to leave the box. I called them to complain that I had requested a shipping hold, and couldn’t believe they had shipped to my home instead of my office, and had shipped in the summer. It turns out this too was an unexpected gift from someone else, and I felt like an ass for assuming they had screwed things up.

Oh well…

[shock.gif]

I thought perhaps ‘plonk’ doesn’t have the same meaning in the US but this seems to suggest it does!

Truth in advertising

There was a wine venue in Redlands, CA called The Dregs. Not quite as bad as Plonk Wine, but close.