"Sabering" Champagne with a Wine Glass!

And you thought sabering with a saber was cool?

This is Alessio Cighetti, owner of Vinoteca Centro Storico, my favorite restaurant during my recent trip to the Langhe.

Super cool!

Super cool indeed!

Highlights from your visit to the restaurant, Ken?

(I imagine you do pretty well in the Langhe.) Or are they already up on your site?

Josh

No, not my video, and no Champagne was opened during my 2 meals there. A lovely Lambrusco was, but by more conventional means.

I did alright. I am working on writing up my notes and pix from the trip, but there’s a lot. A lot of great wines, a lot of great food, a lot of great scenery, a lot of great people, and a lot of pix (maybe a few great ones?).

Unbelievable!

Incredible!

Physics!

Damn, and it looks like he didn’t even spill a drop! Must be a pretty sturdy wine glass but it hardly looks like a big clunky restaurant version. I am super impressed…

Awesome! What`s the secret?

On my mobile, so this may not work…
Try that with Krug!

Looks like there are a few videos on youtube. Same technique as with a saber… take the cage off, run the glass up the seam, and voila! Doesn’t seem like you need a special glass either. But then again, I’m sure nobody’s posting videos of the wine glass shattering in their hand and needing a trip to the emergency room [berserker.gif]

Hmmm, looks pretty easy. Famous last words?

need a super cold bottle neck by soaking it in ice water for 10 minutes first.

I’m waiting for the Berserker version of sabering.
WITH A BATTLE AXE!

Makes it look easy, but I’m not about to try it. I value my pretty face and both eyes far too much.

I feel certain I’d break the stem on my glass. I guess I’d only try this with a cheap glass.

I’ve seen it done on the island of Madeira last year. Used a champagne glass.

That’s pretty awesome, but I love my champagne saber.

The trick is in how you hold the glass. Don’t hold it by the stem!

Even better, hold it with someone else’s hand.