How many RAYAS ....

In connection with the SQN-thread:

How many bottles of Chateau Rayas are in your cellar (incl. Pignan and Fonsalette - but NOT Chateau des Tours) ?

No poll, just post the number(s) … and maybe vintages …

[cheers.gif]

(will be back only in 5 days)

Precisely 1 ('00 CNdP). It’s not easy to get here…

26 total. 2 Pignan, 5 Rayas , the rest Fonsalette with about 1/4 of those syrah. Various vintages mostly from 2003-2005. Can’t find them/afford them now!

Only 2 bottles of Rayas reserve. I wish I had lots.

About 2 dozen Rayas Reserve, back to 1979.

Had more, but I tend to drink these regularly as they are sooooo good.

Fonsalette '95,'96,and '96 Syrah. 1 bt. each.

Russell, you don’t need to own any Rayas. Fancy trying a bottle one day? [cheers.gif]

190, including a 1955 Vin Liquoureux

Zero. Have enjoyed the few I have tried but for me they are not worth the price. Too many other wines I would rather have. I should note that I have zero Chateauneuffs in my cellar.

Hey Rauno, I have twice as many as you (2!). Same issue, hard to get in NZ

Brodie

Also 0. Zilch. Not for lack of desire to have some, but for the stark realization that many others produce decidedly gorgeous Grenache from these beautiful eastern sector sandy-clay soils for a much cheaper tariff. Giraud’s Grenaches de Pierre, Barroche’s Pure, Cristia’s Vieilles Vignes, and not a few others come to mind. Having said all that, I’d say many of these fall into a somewhat modernist vein–a nice SQN foil, perhaps??–whereas the allure of Rayas (IMHO) hinges on an arch-traditionalist’s legacy, ala Bonneau/J.P. Daumen/et al, allied to the grace of Grenache before GW and the seismic impact of Monsieur Parkér.

Zero. Just too damn expensive.

1. Which is really not enough.

I found a cache of Fonsalette a little while ago which I scooped up but drank my last bottle just over a month ago.

Love the stuff. What I try to open when people ask about purity in wine.

I thought I had a Pignan in the cellar but just checked CT and looks like I drank it…

Never had or bought the full fledged Rayas. It’s certainly on my bucket list.

1. I have a lot more SQN. Rayas costs more, after all.

Ha sounds good. I know a certain 6ft4 Aussie who has a decent amount too.

I would go for a New York Rayas vs SQN Grenache throw down just for fun but my Rayas is a 2001 and my SQNs are much younger.

Jay,

I had the 2001 last winter and it was probably one of my top three wines ever. Really astonishingly good. Got it from Acker retail, I think, back in the mid-2000s.

But I only have a single bottle, the 1999. I wish prices were more in line with my comfort level.