-Bdx blanc
-Gruner
-Albarino
-other

Muscadet

Italian whites came to mind… Verdicchio, Arneis, Greco di Tufo, Fiano

Is this spiced? herbed?

fred

A very timely post as my cucumber plant is going nuts and producing like crazy. I hadn’t thought of soup but will now make some.

If it’s yogurt based, I’d try an Assyrtiko with a couple of years of age. The tangy acids plus textural richness goes will with Greek salad, so might also with Cucumber soup…

Muscadet.

Although Albariño is an interesting idea.

Gruner was the first thing that came to my mind, but I like all the suggestions. And the soup sounds great for a summer day.

dill, parsley, onion, a pinch of dry mustard

Light-bodied Grüner definitely. Once in Budapest I had a Hungarian version (Kertész Családi Pincészet Etyeki Zöld Veltelini, go ahead and grab a bottle at your local shop) which would be perfect. Lots of good options though.

I’d be interested to see Old Red Rioja aged in American oak here.

I’d try Romorantin.

Love this idea.

I will be doing a 1987 Bodegas Riojanas Rioja Viña Albina Gran Reserva with cheeses so I wouldn’t want to bookend the dinner with old Rioja. Interesting possibility with the soup though but I would probably open an even older Rioja.

save a sip for the soup, please. report back. I’m curious.

an icy shot of Hendrick’s Gin

Italian whites are always a good answer…
… in this case, a Kerner. Or maybe Verdicchio.

+1

My mind went straight to the white Kerner blend from Markus/Borra out of Lodi.

However, a well-tempered red Rioja of noble age sounds absolutely captivating…

I really like the suggestions for Muscadet or light-style Gruner. I also think a good Vinho Verde could work (by good I mean one of the all-Alvarinho bottlings). I guess the thing for me is that this dish is probably fairly delicate in flavor, and I wouldn’t want to bowl over the cucumber flavor, so I would want relatively low alcohol. As much as I love Kerner and Assyrtiko and some of the other wines mentioned, they wouldn’t be my first choice.

Dry Riesling

Fino sherry might work well.

Sake would work nicely too