Where do YOU cut the foil?

Does anyone agree with this? When I’m using a waiter’s key to open a bottle, I always cut the foil above the lip. Of course, this excludes the (majority) of times I just pull the entire capsule off.

Usually, I try to pull the whole thing off.

If I can’t just pull it off, I slice it right down the entire side and peel it off.

Same Same.

+1

Under the lip! It makes it so easy to cut it off quickly and neatly, especially when I’m doing 24 bottles all at once at a big tasting.

I try to pull it off as gently as possible so that I can replace it after I refill the bottle for future auction sale.

I’m with Andrew… pull or peel the whole thing!!

Sabre ! [wow.gif]

Under the lip/collar. Back in the day, the capsule was made of lead foil. You cut it under the collar to avoid having the wine inadvertantly contact lead while while pouring.

A cut foil looks better that way, too. But wiith some of the plasticky capsules these days, it is easier just to tear the thing off.

relevant Seinfeld clip.

I pull off the whole thing too.

Me too.

Below the lip is “proper” and you can get the cleanest line that way. For home consumption, just pull it off.

I cut at “Not Here”. Just easier. Capsules tend to be loose under the lip and the whole thing usually peels off.

• Whatever…

JD

OK, as I noted in my post, pulling the foil, if possible is my most common method. I also understand that many of you savages would gnaw directly through the glass if it would get you to your hooch faster.

HOWEVER, if I do need to cut the foil, I find it’s easier gripping the neck and cutting down against the lip, as opposed to trying to “peel” the foil off by attacking it from the bottom. Am I alone in this?

Citation? Or is this based upon the historical lead content as someone else noted?

95% of the time I pull it off.

Top of the lip for me.

Top of the lip, it acts as a drip guard.