Global warming...??

Just got an email from my producer friends in Champagne along the Marne. 12 degrees C was the high yesterday and 3 degrees this morning. Gilles just turned 60 and has never seen temps this low in his career…and it has been awfully cold for the time of year in the Santa Cruz Mtns as well.

That’s not how it works.

It only works, when a heat record somewhere is set.

Someone doesn’t understand what climate change actually means.

just ignore it, it will go away.
just as a stray dog so long as you don’t feed it

[popcorn.gif]

Nothing like posting your ignorance for all to see.

100F in NYC today.

so…

The concept of Global warming is a hoax. It was created by the Chinese.
Don’t you people know anything?

Another person for ignore…

Just an observation idiot. It is going to be a tough vintage in Champagne this year. Was there a couple of weeks ago and walked some vineyards around Marne where the crop loss is in the 70% to 80% from hail damage (and like Burgundy there simply won’t be les vendanges this year). The latter part of July and first part of August have been unseasonably cool in the SCM and similarly the growing season in Switzerland has been not kind to producers this year.

Has the weather been off in all of France this year, or just Burg/Champ? Three degrees in Aug is nuts. Hopefully other regions have had better luck.

Yeah OK, but your title is still beyond stupid.

It is never amusing to spread ignorance on the very clear reality of climate change.

What part of town are you in? It’s only low 90s uptown, though it’s a steam bath.

NIX,
55 F in my walk-in !

20 in Epernay yesterday. There must have been a very local system

The post does point to one frustrating thing about the global wanting campaign - it can be proven but not disproven. Any heat wave, dry spell, large storms, or anything else unusual is offered as evidence of it, but no cool weather, normal weather, lack of large storms, or anything else is ever evidence against it.

I’m not arguing the underlying issue here, just that the “there can be evidence for but never evidence against” setup frustrates me. Normally, science can be proven and disproven.

Possibly, but they are only 15 klicks down the Marne and their village is not that far up the hillsides. However the Météo France website does refer to much colder temperatures around Champagne-Ardennes for the time of year. Either way he said this has been one of his toughest growing seasons in quite a while and the harvest is not going to start until the very end of September and push into October. I worked their harvest in '86 which was a bad year in Champagne and did not begin until October. Though as any vigneron will tell you, the wine is made (qualitatively) in September. Fingers crossed.

Chris,
Don’t mention science on the same forum where “Biodynamics” is revered [wink.gif]

This is incorrect. There hasn’t been normal weather, cool weather, a lack of storms, or any other evidence against climate change. The last two years have been the hottest on record dating back to the 1800s. You can’t look at one small region of the world and use that as evidence to what’s happening across the globe.