General thoughts on Dehlinger Winery?

(This is a duplicate post from what I posted on the CT Forums). I got an email from Dehlinger Winery earlier this week to keep my eyes open for their mailing list ordering opening on August 18. I must have signed up at some point in the past (can’t remember the motivation, but it’s often based on reading rave reviews on these and other forums I frequent). Regardless, what are your general thoughts on their wines? Your favorite bottlings, or ones to avoid?

Thanks in advance!

Our fearless leader is a big fan. I am not the best source of info but I was on their list for a few years about a decade ago and accumulated a pretty good stash. I still have 10+ bottles of 04, 05, 06 in cellar and the wines are all very well made. They lean towards the modern side and sometimes a bit too much sunshine (ripe fruit) for me.

With that said I really like their cabs/claret with 10+ years of age on them. The syrahs have been hit and miss and the pinots are a bit sweet. I liked their chards on release back then but guzzled them all quickly so not sure about aging those.

Tom, if you want to sell any of that '04, 05, 06, I’m game :slight_smile:

Dehlinger is one of those ‘deserted island/one producer’ producers for me, as I’m a huge fan across the board of their wines (other than Zinfandel, which I haven’t found to like at all). Syrahs with age are tremendous, the Pinots are a little ripe for me (would agree with others on this) so I’d choose other Pinot over theirs, and Jen and I both love the Chardonnay, Claret, and Cabernet Sauvignon.

As our old friend Terence T-Bone Livingston has said to me many times in the past (he’s in the industry), it’s the only wine he pays full retail for, and does so EVERY release.

Killer, in every varietal, and in every way.

Yep, fantastic wines. I love their Pinot and Chard.

Thanks, All. I guess that pretty well sums it up. Credit card: get ready…

2 Likes

I was on the list from ~1999 to ~2009 and bought pretty much everything offered. The Cabernet and Claret were the big upside surprises for me (I joined for the Pinot). I really liked the Syrahs and the Pinot Noirs and found the oak on the Chardonnay to be a bit much at times, but still bought them and drank them early. I still hold Syrah, Pinot Noir, and Cabernet Sauvignon from those years and continue to enjoy them when I open them. I haven’t found the Pinots to get profound with age, but they hold up. I do think they show their best early on if you’re looking for that ripe strawberry/raspberry/mulberry fruit.

I did have a corked bottle of something or another. The winery cut me a check for my original purchase price upon reporting of the problem.

I was a happy customer and sort of sad that I had to let it go. I don’t regret that I traded Dehlinger for Rhys, which is basically what happened.

Cheers,
fred

2 Likes

Hard to beat for quality, consistency, value and service!

My wife saw Dehlinger Chardonnay on a wine list in a Chicago restaurant - texted me a pic - I’ve NEVER seen Dehlinger on a list. Pretty amazing, though, that they sell entirely from their mailing list plus to restaurants - apparently none at retail, but that could have changed, or I could be mistaken.

We sold Dehlinger to retail accounts when I was ITB although mostly Chard as we did not get too many red.

It’s pretty common on N. CA lists.

There is some in stores, mostly Chardonnay. Whole Foods up here has it.

1 Like

Brandon, if you can buy from K&L I suggest trying some of the reds from the 90’s and up through 2002. They very often have it available for prices similar to current list and often lower.

I had a really nice 2001 East Face Syrah over the past few days.

They might have been the first winery I really fell in love with. I joined their list and bought for several years. At some point, the wines just started getting a little too expensive for me. However, it’s been a while.

What are the release prices now?

scott

1 Like

Hey Todd, anything in particular you don’t like about the Zins? Was thinking of purchasing a couple but have never tried one, so would love to hear your/others feedback.

Also, anyone a fan of their Petite Sirah??

I really enjoyed 2011 Zin

I was a huge fan, but through the mid 2000s to present, the pinot has gotten very ripe, at the same time as my taste was probably shifting mildly the other direction. And the prices have risen pretty steadily.

I think they’re a class act and their wines are high quality, and Tom Dehlinger seems like an incredibly decent and sincere guy, but I’ve stopped ordering the last few years. I do have a modest stash of their wines, and they have always aged beautifully (though I’m not as certain if that will be the case for the last 10 or so vintages of pinot with the very high ripeness levels), so I’m going to just see how they go.

I do like their zinfandel, zin / PS blend, and their pinot rose at the sporadic times they offer those.

I agree with Craig G, you can probably buy some mature vintages for less than the new release price at places like winebid, K&L and Hart Davis Hart. That would be a smart way to explore before sinking a lot into new releases, though again be aware that the style has gotten bigger in recent years.

What kind of style are we talking about? Well rounded with solid acidity like a Bedrock or Carlisle, lighter like Scherrer, etc.

Assuming they’re not massive, jammy fruit bombs but would love to hear a general description.

Their pinots are stylistically like Scherrer, except riper and something like 15%+ alcohol. Fred Scherrer was assistant winemaker at Dehlinger before going on his own, so it’s not surprising there is much similarity.

I’d describe their pinot style over the years as velvety and feminine yet ripe at the same time. Oak is not obtrusive, but it provides a richness to the wines. Acids are kind of medium.

The syrah tastes like syrah made by a pinot maker, and they also go for a smooth, pretty style. They definitely aren’t where to look for your lavender and black olive style syrah, but they aren’t giant Aussie import fruit and oak bombs either.

I hope that helps.

Thanks Chris- super helpful

Assuming the zin is similar as well. Lighter, more feminine, but still with plenty of flavor (again, kinda Scherrer-ish)?

Thanks!

That would be how I think of it, yes. Unlike the pinots, I don’t think the zins were a big step higher in ripeness than Scherrer, at least that wasn’t my perception just tasting them.