Is there a market for custom racking i no longer need?

I put in a new cellar and am taking down my old one (different location). It had custom mostly single bottle double deep racking by Apex. Is this something anyone would be interested in buying? Trying to figure out whether to try to sell it or just tear it out and trash/recycle it.

I would think there is! Can use some wine racks for my offshore storage.

Location can be a problem. Somebody offered up a new custom cellar because it wouldn’t fit as ordered. Price was more than reasonable but nobody in his area was interested. Shipping costs to the opposite coast offset any savings and I don’t know if he ever got it sold.

Pics, price and location would be the next step to see if there is any interest here.

Put it on Craigslist, there’s old racking on there all the time. Usually it’s people who buy houses that don’t want cellars etc.
Look around at different listings for an idea on the going price.

…and post some photos of your new cellar Maureen…blur out all those Truchot, we’ll get jealous.

-mark

…said the man with Overnoy as an avatar…

Just guessing - having no D.C. Craigslist experience at all - but I’d imagine that traffic & parking would be the big stumbling blocks to a D.C. sale.

You’re going to have to find a buyer who is either nearby, or for whom being stuck in [potentially] several hours of traffic is not that big of a deal.

And on your end, you will have to be able to guarantee a time to meet them, and also guarantee that there will be a parking place for the van or pickup truck which they will bring to haul off the racking.

[Also: In most instances, it’s just about impossible to do this in the rain, so it will need to be a sunny day when you meet, which means that you have to keep an eye on the weather.]

More generally, something I’ve noticed about Craigslist is that [in many cases] it almost serves as a con game, to lure other people into hauling off your unwanted “junque” for you - where the con is that, instead of paying them for their junk-hauling services, you’ve flipped the script, and they’re now paying you for the privilege of doing it.

you might start by putting some pics in commerce corner

Put a “FREE” sign on it curbside and you’ll have people fighting for it!

Maureen,

I don’t think we have room to store the materials at the Domaine DC warehouse, but I would be happy to send an email to storage clients. That might be a more narrow, but targeted pool of folks as compared to Craigslist, etc.

Happy to help if we can.

Thanks,
Marc

A friend sold about a dozen Apex racks by listing on Craig’s List. Even an island, which the buyer cut in half so each side would fit against a wall. Never know who might have a need, a pickup truck, and the skill to make some alterations.

Sometimes selling cheaply is better than listing for free. People tend to blow off appointments to pick up free stuff.

P Hickner

Thanks Mark mwhat info do you need?

just email me a few pics if you have them, and the approximate bottle capacity. marc@domainestorage.com

thx

Ok i posted info and pics on CC. cellar racking for sale - Commerce Corner - Wine Classifieds - WineBerserkers