Where to look for a savory domestic Syrah

We are typically California Syrah drinkers but our palates have shifted from wanting big fruit with some savory elements to wanting savory elements with some fruit. We have tried a few aged N. Rhones that have given us exactly that. Is there a producer in the US that has been able to make a meaty, herbal Syrah? Cayuse and company (No Girls, Horsepower, etc) have proven to be a little too funky for us so that might limit some recommendations…

Copain’s bottlings from Mendocino County fruit come immediately to mind. Also Edmunds St. John’s syrahs. Others will have more suggestions, I’m sure.

La Clarine Sumu Kaw is always very savory. ESJ is a great choice also

From Washington state you should try Gramercy and Rotie Cellars.
A little lighter are Deux Vert Syrahs from the Willamette Valley- Biggio Hamina, Matello. Definitely Northern Rhone character.

P Hickner

Bedrock

Not sure about current vintages, but a 2007 Amapola Creek Syrah that I had recently checked many of those Northern Rhone boxes. Smoky, charred meats, a bit herby, but balanced with dark fruit and plum. On the bigger side of Syrah.

What Matt said, ESJ and La Clarine Farm (Sumu Kaw) hit that note for me. Both great values to boot.

Arnot-Roberts SV Syrahs are definitely savory. Maybe stay away from Clary Ranch in warm vintages, that can be fruit-expressive Syrah.

Can I back you up a bit and find out which CA syrahs you’ve had in the past or recently that were of a bigger, riper style to calibrate things?

Cheers.

+1 for Copain & Edmunds St. John.

Cowan Cellars.

Cabot

Would also second, Matello. The 2012 Fools Journey is still available for $25. Hard to imagine anything in California competing with this wine at that price.

Jason

Let’s see:

Bedrock
Myriad
Quivet
Bevan
Riverain
Nicora
Torrin
Carlisle
Herman Story

Top Syrah’s that have been closest to what we’re looking for are Myriad with some age on them and the Riverain. Still very fruit forward but definitely more interesting (imo) than the rest.

Was tempted to order some Sandler Syrah since we love Ed’s pinots, if anyone has any experience with those…

I like the Sandler Syrahs a lot although it has been a few years since I have had one. Not sure it fits your original post but you should check Dehlinger and Arcadian based on the above post.

jason

Failla Hudson

Whoa …just saw this. Maintenance Syrah - Commerce Corner - Wine Classifieds - WineBerserkers Pretty tough to find a better deal to jump to syrah!

J

Halcon
Wind Gap

I second the suggestion of Arnot Roberts.

Cheers,

Hal

Second Cabot

Campesino and Halcon from Berserker Days.

Sean Thackrey’s Orion may be a syrah, we don’t know for sure, but it may fit your bill! It is a very fun taste.

I am fond of Qupe, as well.

Kamen is good, too.

I am trying to lean more toward AFWE for the savory part.

Rhys!!!

I can see the future…"+1 on Rhys, Anton."

Not a pure syrah, but I do enjoy Tablas Creek a lot.