California Merlot

It’s been a while since I thought about or drank a California merlot. I’m a Right Bank Bordeaux kind of guy, so I started thinking about why I don’t look for some merlot from Cali.

What is everyone (anyone?) drinking?

My favorites are Switchback Ridge and Robert Foley… with some age on them.

Not cheap, but Ehlers makes a good one. While even more expensive, Pride has been doing some really nice things.

Matthiasson Red Hen

Recently had an '06 Lewis Cellars that was quite nice.

Korbin Kameron’s Merlot is very nice and tends to remind me of Right Bank Bordeaux of the 1980s and 1990 vintages (1990 La Dominique comes to mind). Not a dead ringer, but it tends more toward the elegant style and has nice acidity, which were features that made those wines so enjoyable.

I like this and Ridge.

I had an excellent 2012 O’Shaughnessy Merlot at a tasting last year. Just purchased some but haven’t revisited one yet.

I also like Shafer Merlot and, from more limited experience, Seavey Merlot.

Had a 2005 Keenan Mailbox reserve recently that was really nice.

Calluna Aux Raynauds

2013 Jonata Fenix. 65% merlot, 30% cab franc, 5% petite verdot. Popped one last night with my fiancee and we both loved it.

+One on both of these. Just had the Ridge Peronne Monte Bello Merlot and it was excellent along with the 11 Red hen. Loved em both.

At lower price points Seavey and Calluna do an excellent job.

Buccella. My fav Cali merlot producer hands down

2013 Rutherford Hill

Mayacamas merlot is great. I think it might be better than the cab in semi-recent vintages, and at half the price.

Good call. Drinking a 2010 Buccella Merlot tonight. Amazing on day 2.

I just has a 2009 Grgich and was amazed by is goodliness.

I would drink it again!

Mayacamas Merlot
Ridge estate Merlot
Calluna Aux Reynauds

Those are the best I’ve had. Everything else I’m always finding a bit overripe and blowsy.

Haven’t had the Pride Merlot in years - how does it compare these days?

At $20 and under it is hard to beat the 2013 Markham Merlot.
Under $40 our favorite is the Keenan.
Over $40, in no particular order, we like the Ridge Estate, Mt. Brave, Pride, Switchback Ridge and Paloma.
And if you can find Beringer Bancroft Ranch Howell Mountain Merlot’s from the early 90’s they can be very good.

Thanks,
Ed

I have had a couple of bottles of Trefethen that were good and reasonably priced.