New Parker Kapcsandy 2013 - 100, 100, 99 and 97 pts

Congratulations to Kapcsandy Family Winery,
the new Parker ratings have been released,

2013 Cabernet Sauvignon-Grand Vin = 100 pts
2013 Roberta’s Reserve = 100 pts (1st 100 pt rating on this Cuveé)
2013 Rapszodia = 99 points
2013 Estate Cuvee = 97 pts

Really great…
Nice Homage to Denis Malbec - who is now gone.

Vino Veritas

The State Lane Cuvee’ (I thought) was a 94 pt (from last October publication). It appears that Parker re-tasted (?) but didn’t use the word “Cuvee” in the description of this tasting (Oct 2016). It threw me at first, but it was a pleasant surprise. I have both the 2012 and 2013 bottles. Have only had the 2012 and it definitely comes across as a bordeaux feel. Took a bit to open (late spring earlier this year), but hit its stride at the 3 hour mark. So, long story short, it appears that the 2013 State Lane Cuvee’ went from 94 to 97 pts?

Hi
I hear several questions in your comments, however as you say, long story short, October, 2015, Mr. Parker tasted and scored the 2013 ‘Estate Cuvee’, 94 pts, and today the new score is 97 pts. Which happens every vintage that after 1 year, Parker has raised the score of many of the Kapcsandy Cuvees.

Also, if I can be of any help, you mention ‘The State Lane Cuvee’ which is a mistake so commonly made. The vineyard name is State Lane, The Cuvee name is ‘Estate Cuvee’. If I lift the words directly from the web site…
The State Lane Vineyard was made famous by Beringer Estate as one of the original components of their Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon program. In 1976 they signed a 30-year lease and planted a 16-acre vineyard with Roy Raymond (later of Raymond Cellars). In 1999 Phylloxera destroyed the vineyard and it had to be ripped out. In 2000, the Kapcsandy family purchased the property. Upon taking ownership of the vineyard, we conducted extensive soil and microclimate tests, discovering in the process how extraordinary the vineyard site is. In 2002, the entire vineyard was replanted to 5 blocks of Merlot, 7 blocks of Cabernet Sauvignon, and 1 block each of Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot, utilizing specific rootstocks and varietal clones to optimize the terroir. These blocks range from as small as 0.2 acres to as large as 1.73 acres, and are very tightly spaced. We are planted on 16-acres to 57% Cabernet Sauvignon 35% Merlot, 6% Cabernet Franc and 2% Petit Verdot.

All of our wines are Estate Grown & Bottled and all carry the vineyard designation of State Lane Vineyard. Our first commercial vintage (2004), was produced by Helen Turley. For the 2005/6 vintages, Helen’s protege Rob Lawson (Napa Wine Company), was hired, along with Denis Malbec, from Chateau Latour, Pauillac, to oversee winemaking duties. As of 2007, Denis Malbec became our sole winemaking consultant. Denis along with Lou Sr. and Louis Jr., by virtue of extensive blending trials and redevelopment of the vineyard, are the driving forces behind Kapcsandy Family’s rise to prominence in the world of fine wines.

So, I mention this as so many people refer to many of the Cuvees as State Lane, or other misnomers.

BTW, the original 2 vintages, 2004 & 2005, (Cabernet Grand Vin) when the 10 year Robert Parker retrospective tasting review and new scores were released those wines had filled out to something ethereal, with the outer Purple ring along the glass and the flavors we seek as wine lovers, and those scores also rose from 95 to 98+ and are amazing.

if that is of any help…

When the 2016 vintage hits the market in a few years, I predict that Parker’s grossly inflated scoring will reach its pinnacle. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see 50 separate Napa Cabs hit 100 points.

I predict if your prediction is accurate, you will be credited with the ability to see the future, as your prediction will be documented right here on this site and millions of people will seek your advice, which you could profit from or help others . Your name will be spoken of by people whom you do not know.

I wish you good luck with that.

BTW, Your question "It appears that Parker re-tasted (?),
yes, he comes to the winery every year in the fall and generally tastes 3 vintages. This most recent visit he tasted all of the Cuvees, 2013, 2014, 2015.
So that he is constantly tasting, for the first time, and prior to bottling, and for the 2nd time in a bottle after some aging.
And then he does the 10 year retrospective.
And his views and scores are frequently changing, which leads to my constant belief that ‘today’ is a view of a wine only today. Based on so many factors, including today’s weather, my mood, who I am sharing the wine with, my palette today, and bottle variance. Fine wines are a constant changing picture, as is everything in nature, - my humble view, .
And how crazy is it that certain wines close down, some times for years, and then years later open.

I remember when I read that wonderful book on Veuve Clicquot and the wine industry was just developing with so much we now take for granted,.
She shipped the annual order to Russia (1850s) and there was so me problem so it did not get through. She went to visit the shipment which was stuck some where. And what she discovered is by sending Champagne on a long journey it helped age her Cuvees in a pleasing manner. So she started shipping her finer Cuvees to spend some time traveling and then return back to Champagne. We import Drappier Champagne and I had the family visiting us in Hawaii this past summer holiday. They seemed impressed how well the wines tasted after the long journey , storage and time.
I digress, sorry.

William,

Do you represent Kapcsandy? If so perhaps you can mention that in your post.

Aloha!

Thank you, you are correct - I can explain and hope for your understanding, I’ve no wish to deceive, ‘Wine Berserkers’ is the extent of my Social on line experience, besides once a year using YELP.
Yes, I should have… Mr. Kapcsandy shared with me the pleasure of the new reviews and I am very involved with the winery and wanted to share my excitement.
I was not seeking sales, we do not offer or sell Kapcsandy on line or through this site.
I was just very proud and we sent a congratulations of the New Parker scores to our world wide customer base as well - with no intention of seeking orders as well.

In that same thread I think I told a story about Veuve Clicquot, and some history and learning she experienced in the 1850s and tied it in to Drappier who I think I mentioned we represent. if not, then I am mentioning that fact now.
thank you for making me aware.
However, I do not think there is any mention to solicit sales or anything of that nature in my post, certainly not in my intention and think that came across.
I am very tied to those 2 families so my connection goes far beyond a commercial relationship which prompts a lot of my actions in relation to those 2.

Aloha
William

Unfortunately, this is true. It used to be a recent joke, but the reality is on Parker’s scores is to subtract 3-5 points off all wines. These current scores are meaningless in historical context.

Lots of people who sell wine post about those wines but typically with a rather large disclaimer.

Try:
DISCLAIMER: I sell/market these wines. Or I am a personal friend of the winemaker.

The more explicit you are here, the less likely you are to be called out. We all have our favorites. Disclosure is still no absolution, but it at least allows us to put your statements in proper context.

Thanks, however, I am not seeking to sell Kapcsandy or Drappier wines through this site.
I am merely sharing my passion,
So, lacking any interest in selling wines through Wine Berserker, I feel fine mentioning as I have.

I am not a retailer, nor do I engage in business of selling wines - that would be conducted through this site.

Let’s see if this continues to be unpleasant that I was seeking to share my joy about a winery.

Bill,

I too have passions. Share them with reckless abandon.

Whether you sell, import, distribute, market a wine; make the wine; invest in the winery; or have a close personal relationship with a winemaker, you have a relationship that should be clearly disclosed.

To fail to do so sets you up to be called a shill. And I’’ not calling you one, and I don’t think you are one. All the more reason for you to be even more explicit about it in the future. Mark called you out, and now you’re on the defensive. That’s unpleasant. To avoid it, make sure everyone is painfully aware of your relationships. It’s the rule that everyone else seems to follow.

We are all passionate about wine. It’s different when you sell the wine.

Hi William
Noah’s advice is excellent.

It is great to have the involvement of ITB’ers and the additional insight they often have. That is always balanced by a desire for ITB’ers to be open in *disclosure where a conflict of interest might exist.

So please continue to post, with disclosure where there is a personal/professional relationship/interest.

regards
Ian

• Unrelated to these posts, but IMO this also is appropriate if someone is rubbishing a wine/winery/shop when coincidentally they might be considered a competitor.

When so many of your peers score 100, how do you stand out? Of course you try to make the best wine you can, and I have no reason to doubt the Kapcsandy’s quality. Parker has awarded a lot of perfect scores in 2013, lets see where they all are in 2025. I know one thing, I am not sure what he gave the Dunn Howell Mountain or Corison, but these two wines will be very serious competition to anything produced in Napa, before and after 2025!

Bill’s passion is commendable.

I wish I knew more about California wines as I taste some outstanding wines from time to time, to say I am lacking a breath of knowledge on Napa or Washington is an understatement.
Mr. Kapcsandy told me 13 wines were given 100 pts in 2013.
And remember Parker says the vintage is the great vintage…
I do not know Corison, I’ve tasted Dunn Howell, that is excellence…
if only all of these prices were not so high

Dear Bill,

Never apologize for passion.

In fact Bill, I was at the Drappier wine dinner at 3660 on the Rise last year and had a wonderful time with great food and wine. I have been a purchaser of Drappier wines and enjoyed the NV Rose this weekend. I am aware of your wines in the Hawaii market and would be interested in hearing more about some of your Loire offerings.

Didn’t mean to be contentious, just thought I would alert you to the Berserker protocol.

Aloha!

Hi Mark
Are you the gentlemen who asked me at the dinner about our Loire stock?
That has been on my mind since then… I’ve felt terrible that I forgot how to reach you.
please send me an email, and I can give you our list, which we will give you on a closeout basis,
of course we have to offer through the local retail store - Marvin, but we’ll arrange a very low pass through with Marvin…
please write to me directly
william@williamgladstoneimports.com

that Drappier dinner was so special… the love in the air…
Thank you for contacting me and reminding me, I’m not uncomfortable at all with your comments or desire to be helpful…