TN: Ojai Syrah RollRanch '95....(short/boring)

Casting about last night for something interesting, I cracked:

1. OjaiVnyd Syrah RollRanchVnyd/Calif (13%) Oakview 1995: Med.dark color w/ slight bricking; strong plummy/boysenberry/ripe/blackberry/Syrah some smokey/toasty/oak bit peppery/pungent some bretty complex very interesting nose; soft some boysenberry/blackberry/Syrah/plummy/ripe/spicy rather toasty/smokey/oak quite bretty/barnyardy/horsecollar complex flavor w/ light smooth tannins; very long quite bretty/barnyardy/unclean some plummy/blackberry/spicy/boysenberry/ripe/Syrah light smokey/toasty/charred/oak complex finish w/ light gentle tannins; fully rsolved and plenty of Syrah fruit but way too bretty/unclean for my taste.

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Adam’s RollRanch Syrah has always been one of my favorites, though it’s often on the ripe side. I expected this one to still be fully alive, and it was. But just too unclean/bretty for me to enjoy.
    Tom

Interesting. Would this be too ‘crap*y’ for those who don’t mind a little brett or was it overkill for 99% of people IYO?

Well, Blake…I think it would be too much for most people. Just way too barnyardy.
Tom

Too bad, it sounds like it would be a killer without that unfortunate flaw. I might have to track it down for curiosity’s sake…

Well, 21 years is a very long time.

I have a few bottles from 1998, 2000, and 2001. I find that they age very well and have found no flaws so far. Ojai’s syrahs from Thompson also hold up very well and improve with long bottle times.

I would agree with you, but I guess it’s a matter of perspective. I think that many hope that their wines will last this long and Beyond, but my guess is that many wines created today will not even make it two decades. Time will tell.