Spiegelau glasses

How do spiegelau’s compare to schott zwiesel/riedel?
Putting in an order at restaurant supply store and need some new glasses…$6/spiegelau seems a lot better than $12/schott on amazon/bb&b if the quality is remotely comparable. The “Style” line in particular looks pretty nice. Spiegelau 4678001 Style 21.25 oz. Red Wine Glass / Water Goblet - 12/Case

1 Like

I’ve always liked them. I have a glass from them that I have had for a few years that I like a lot (essentially a Bordeaux or slightly oversized at that).
We have a few at work and I can’t remember breaking any under normal use, even in the dishwasher.

I’ve had great luck with their more rounded Bordeaux glass of the same size. When I break one it’s always my fault – sloppy insertion or removal from the dishwasher or knocking one over in the sink.

We have some of the Spiegelau Hybrid Bordeaux and like them a lot. We have not broken any glasses over the two years that we have been using them.

Doing my best to not ‘talk my own book’ as I sell competitive glasses, and the price point you cite is staggeringly good if you seek ‘a glass’, but I do think for a few more dollars a superior stem exists.

The line appears to be thicker glass restaurant type stems. Not sure how happy you’ll be for daily home use. I agree with Chris, you should be able to find something for a tad more that is a far better glass.

I’ve got some of these and they work very well for a daily use/durable red wine glass, just a little more than the ones you listed.

I can’t look beyond Gabriel Glas (c.$10ea) for everyday drinking and zaltos for special wines/occasions.

BTW, if you need good decanters that are well priced from this store. I bought 6 of these and they work awesome. Only $17.47 each too :slight_smile:

Every now and then Cost Plus World Market runs $20 for six packs of Spiegelaus deals.

Worth loading up when those happen

It has been my understanding that Riedel bought Spiegelau a few years back and continued to make them in the same style without any deviation. That translates into similar shapes, weight and leaded glass at least at the level of Riedel`s Vinum Series.

I`ve always had the idea that Spiegelau and Schott Zwiesel were very similar. I prefer Riedel Vinum or Sommelier stems personally although Zalto is a higher end choice.

You can get nice SZ singles at Sur la Table for cheaper than your posted price. Great ‘white wine’ glasses that I use universally (aside from Pinot Noir and Nebbiolo).

+1

I enjoy the Spiegelau vino grande as a decent home glass that I can abuse and toss in the dishwasher. I think I’m just too cheap to pony up for the Zaltos but they are great and are a full step up in quality which is reasonably justifiable if you get them for a good price. I hear Chris has some great deals on glass if your are considering the Zaltos.

Where can I get Gabriel Glas standards for $10 each? It would be a good everyday/entertaining glass at that price.

I like the Spiegelau vino grand Burg glasses better than I do the equivalent Schott Zwiesel glass; the Schott Zwiesel bowl is shallower. I have both, and I always reach for my last Spiegelau Burg glass when my Zaltos are dirty.

I really like the Spiegelau Authentis series for casual everyday home use. I picked up a bunch about 15 years ago when Amazon had a big sale, and I have used them nearly every day since (although I have had to replace some broken ones recently.)
I like the Riedel Vitis series for special-occasion Cabs, and I use Zalto for Italian wines, but the Spiegelau glasses are my go-to stems most days of the week.

‘Where can I get Gabriel Glas standards for $10 each? It would be a good everyday/entertaining glass at that price.’

I’ll second that. Especially as I sell them.

Very well indeed!

Strange that nobody mentions their best glasses, the Grand Palais series, of which the beautiful, surprisingly sturdy Bordeaux glass for years and years has been my absolute favourite allround drinking- and tasting glass.

Barolo, Bordeaux and Rhône (both South and North) as well most whites, and even Champagne and Burgundy show amazingly well in this most versatile stemware.

Only lately the Zalto Bordeaux has inched its way up the ladder to this lofty status for me.

Almost the size of the Riedel Sommelier Bordeaux glass, but oddly enough much better for allround use, the Spiegelau Pokal Grand Palais Exquisit remains my favourite “serious” high quality glass …and why use anything less in our short lifespans (alone the flat, dull sound of machine made glass impairs my enjoyment of any fine wine)?

https://www.shop-spiegelau.com/spiegelau-rotweinglas-bordeaux-pokal-grand-palais-exquisit.html

Peter

Thanks all.
Picked up a case each of the authentis white and burg stems, arrived in 2 days from the webstaurantstore.com. Certainly not as light as a zalto, but the rim is nice and thin and they look nice. The part where the bowl meets the stem is a bit bulkier and less detailed than the riedels and waterfords. For weight comparison, zalto universal is 3.5 oz, The Spiegelau white glass is 5.75oz, and my riedel white glasses are 5.5oz, though the spiegelau is slightly larger in size. The burg stem is 7.25 oz, as compared to a waterford mondavi bordeaux stem I have that is 7.5oz. For $8/glass I’m pretty happy.

I’m keen on the Stolzle “Experience” Burgundy glasses.
I use them for everything red…

TTT

CostPlus World Market is running a 1 day sale with free shipping on their Spiegelau BDX and Burg stems.

6 packs for $18.

They are not labeled as Spiegelau, but I’m told that’s the producer.

They look/feel exactly like the branded ones.

It’s a good deal, and I use them almost constantly. Dishwasher safe.