Schrader "heat recall"

I received a phone call from Frank at Schrader to let me know that my wine was delivered during the heat wave we had, and they would be happy to replace it. Sending a courier to pick up the potentially-damaged bottles. I applaud their proactivity. [welldone.gif]

Wow! Amazing! Bravo!

Yep, well done indeed. Somebody, I imagine, is in the hot seat on this too for having shipped the wines in the first place and assuming the heat wave was predictable…

That is an interesting observation. I spoke with one of my friends about this and we remarked that Saxum delayed shipping not just once but twice, and at the last minute. I have no idea the ins and outs of the logistics process, but apparently there is some ability to be able to make last-minute decisions not to ship, then restart the process a day or two later.

I have my own pic-n-pak facility so I can’t comment intelligently on the inner workings of third party logistics centers. However, why should that stop me? We pretty much know our weather here (at least projected temps) with relative accuracy 7-10 days out…that should be plenty of time, I would think, to move things around. However, I do note that October DTC shipments were up 30%!!! over last year so maybe changing things around in a week window is no longer easily done if you don’t control your pic-n-pak?

This is a major and avoidable mistake on Schrader’s behalf. When shipping to Southern California anytime of the year, check the three day forecast! Even in the middle of Winter, Santa Ana winds can cause temperatures to spike into the mid 80’s. Last week in So Cal some areas broke 90 degrees, while in the Napa Valley it was only in the mid 70’s. I wonder how much $ they lost on this?

Vinfolio handles the shipping and packaging for them. Based on the huge shipping costs they charge, this should never happen.
Glad Schrader seen the error and offered to replace.