TN: 2001 Edmunds St. John Syrah Bassetti Vineyard

2001 Edmunds St. John Syrah Bassetti Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, San Luis Obispo County (11/24/2016)
Tart blackberries, dusted with iron, rosemary (mom said eucalyptus), the dust from a dry woodland trail and old leather. Then comes rare meat, smoke and mineral. Majestic wine. This was my last bottle of the 2001 Bassetti, but drunk up at a peak of perfection, and shared with family, so no sadness, just the joy that great wine can bring.

Posted from CellarTracker

Love it.
I wish I had more of these.
Great note. Great wine.

Still have some 2003 and 2005. Looking forward to those in the near future.

Yep, need a lot more aged ESJ in my cellar.

I opened a 2005 recently. Vibrantly young and delicious. My last bottle (3-4 years ago?) was shut down tight. So no rush but really good now. I should mention that unlike everyone else at the table John Morris thought it was still shut down.

I’ll try a 2003 first. IIRC from the event with John G., the 2003 was the most unusual of the 3, the 2001 the wildest and the 2005 the densest with the most potential.

Interesting that the only ESJ wine on WB is an 87 Mourvedre that has a current bid of $170. Considering how most non cult older CA wines are available for a lot less on WB, that’s a pretty hefty price. Some people know it could be a pretty good/aged ESJ! (NO - this is not my wine listed on WB…)