Terroirist: HumboldtCnty Wines

Very nicely done article in today’s Terroirist on the wines of HumboldtCnty:
BricelandVnyds
in which BricelandVnyds and our own AndrewMorris get a good writeup.
It’s an area I would like to become more familiar with. Maybe next Spring?
Tom

Agreed, Tom. Issac did a nice job with this piece. Humboldt is on my list!

Issac’s always been a great writer. Nice job here, too!

Thanks very much for noticing and post, TomH. We’d be more than happy to see you here at Briceland Vineyards in Southern Humboldt.

Isaac is a nice guy, a very good writer and of course we consider him a genius given that he likes our wines. [snort.gif]

Does anyone here know how widely read the Terroirist blog is? Of course I am pleased with his writeup and grateful for the exposure. We are still trying to convince locals that wine grapes can grow here. It creates a little buzz on FB as well.

I found Isaac’s write-up very enjoyable and I think he’s dead on the money about the wines (our palates seem to sync pretty well per CT notes, though I’ve never met him). The note on the 13 Ronda’s was perfect.

Nicely done Mr. Morris.

Very nice write up. Definitely heading north next time we are in the Bay area

Definitely, Andrew. You and JohnCabot are high on my list to visit on my Spring trip to Calif. But why the heck did you locate
HumboltCnty so far from Napa?? Not very convenient!!! [snort.gif]

I don’t think the Terroirist blog is widely read. I read it every day and often link here on WB to articles they point out.
This one was just such an article. I was glad to see Briceland get some publicity.
Tom

Tom, next time you come to town, let’s go. We could also sample Humboldt’s other stuff too!

Tom: Thanks for sharing Isaac’s piece! It’s an honor to publish his writing; his stuff is great.

Andrew: To answer your question, Terroirist.com welcomes about 25,000 unique visitors each month. About 2,000 people receive a daily digest from the website via email. Based on a survey we conducted a while back, the audience is split fairly equally between industry and consumer.

I just compared the site to other wine blogs on Alexa.com, and the only one I could find that ranks higher than Terroirist is Vinography. So it can safely be called one of the most highly trafficked wine blogs in the world.

Thanks to everyone for your support!

Uhhhhh…Casey…do I have to inhale??
Tom

Great to hear that, David. It’s a “do not miss” site for me every day. I’ve learned so much from the articles you link to.
Liked the Moldava one today…but it didn’t have the wine content to link it here.
Tom

Tom,

I don’t speak for Casey, but I am pretty sure he is referring to our fine quality local fish, meat, veggies and cheese. neener

Inhaling Humbolt Bay oysters is highly recommended, as long as you pause to taste them between breaths :wink:.

Hi David,

Thanks for jumping in on this and for the report on how well read your blog is. Well done!

It looks like you and your crew have put a lot of work into getting to the point where you are.

Question: Was the survey of the total readership or of the 2000 daily subscribers?

I have not read it often, but count me as a regular going forward.

Cheers!

Hey friends,

Thanks so much for reading and sharing the Humboldt piece. It was one of the most incredible coastal trips I’ve made in the U.S. In writing this piece I had to calm myself down and temper my enthusiasm, because the Lost Coast is one of the most stunning places I’ve seen.

After four straight days of surfing intense and heavy waves, and camping in the woods, my brother and his friends decided to do a 26-mile, 13-hour hike into a coastal mountain peak - It looked amazing, but I said, no thanks, and went to chill with Andrew for a few hours.

I’m really glad I did because, as you can tell, it was a blast. I know I’m human and when tasting these wines I was already in a state of absolute stoke, so the wines could’ve sucked and I would’ve still had fun. But, I took a lot of time with Andrew’s wines and they were firing for my palate. I love the red fruit focus, the refreshing acidity, lots of complex earthy, spice notes. And that Humboldt Zin, too… man. Really fun stuff. Andrew, by the way, that Ishi Pishi Ranch must be a very special site. The wines were great, and I’m sure the site is crazy beautiful.

Thanks, bro!

Exquisite herb for sure! Local food, wine and herb is a wonderful thing.

It’s pretty amazing to just drive around with the windows down and smell the most amazing pot as you’re just cruising around.

Isaac,
Thanks for commenting & writing such a good article. I ordered a few of Andrew’s wines a couple of yrs ago, actually 4, & liked pretty much what I tasted.
They had a brightness & acidity to them that I liked, particularly the Syrah. Alas, my follow-up has not been so good.
Tom

TomH,

Thanks again for kicking off this discussion.

Would you like me to send you my current list? [cheers.gif]