Who Makes The Best Merlot In California?

In the 90’s Pahlmeyer would have been a strong contender for best California Merlot. Who presently is making the top Merlot in California? Thanks.

Kapcsandy Roberta’s
Blankiet Rive

Much like a unicorn, there are rumors that such a beast exists. But still no proof.

Realm The Tempest is pretty great. Doesn’t have a history going back to the 70’s or anything, but it is my favorite CA Merlot to date.

Buccella is my fave

Korbin Kameron and Calluna.

Switchback Ridge and Robert Foley

Pride Vintner Select is far above any others I have tasted. champagne.gif

Have not had most of those already mentioned, so my choices which I think are generally lower cost are

• Keenan Mailbox
  • Paloma
  • Beringer Bancroft
  • Pride vintner’s

Matanzas Creek (early 90s vintages)
Ridge
Seavey
Truchard
Farella
Rafanelli

Seems like we have this thread at least twice a year, lots of good options in the $40+ range.

The real question is who makes the best merlot in the $15-$25 and $25-$40 categories.

O’Shaughnessy bottles a Merlot every two or three vintages, and they are fantastic. Gargiulo, Realm, and Farella are superlative as well.

But that wasn’t the question, was it?

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t care who makes the best merlot in the $15-$40 category. If that is the question you want to ask, start a new thread. [stirthepothal.gif]

My question was mostly rhetorical, as I’m not sure more than 3-4 actually exist. In fact, let’s find out, starting new thread.

+1 on Blankiet and Bucella

Indeed. Faulty question.

Are we talking merlot here or right bank Bordeaux blends?

Calling is the most “Right Bank” styled that I have tasted, and could be easily mistaken for a good Pomerol in any ripe year. Of the others that folks have brought up, the only other one that has that Old World quality to me is Ridge and old Mayacamas. Pride and Blankiet, while good, are riper in style and don’t really sing to me in the same way. But I haven’t had more than a few.

100% Merlot

I didn’t think that the OP was asking about merlot that mimicked French wine.

I think that Kapcsandy, Blanket, and the O’Shaughnessy versions are top notch.

Cheers,

J