Sweet spot for drinking Ridge Lytton Springs (in general)

I grabbed a 3-bottle vertical (2008, 2009, 2010) of Ridge Lytton Springs. Not having had any yet, what’s the sweet spot for these (generally speaking)? I know vintage plays a role, but I’d like to drink these side-by-side at some point. When would you pop 'em?

Second question: is it pronounced like LIT-ton or LIGHT-ton?

Lit-ton is what I have always heard.

We loved the 1990 earlier this year.

I love how Glen just told him to wait another 20 years…

It really depends on how you like your wine. Some folks love those wines young, some like them middle aged and some like them old. Me personally, I like to give them at least 5-7 years from vintage to let everything calm down. I would consider opening those together in the 2018-2020 time frame if you want something relatively soon. The 08 and 09 will probably be stunning in 2028…

G

I try to wait 15 years from vintage date, but often start dipping into my stash at about age 12.

Hi, Brandon. Welcome to the world of Ridge! The back of the wine bottles from Ridge have a label that gives winemaker notes and a fairly broad drinking window. If you are unsure on when to drink them those notes will give you a good guideline.

Thanks,
Ed

I think Gerard said it well. Ridge Lytton Springs gives you a very wide drinking window.
I have been drinking a 10-year-old Lytton Springs each Thanksgiving since 2000.
I have bought 4 - 6 bottles each year since the '89 vintage. I tend to have my first bottle about 6 or 7 year after the vintage and drink the rest over the next 10 to 15 years. I still have a handful of bottles from the 90’s going back to '94.

Brandon - you can drink them now. Or wait. The thing is, those wines don’t require any age at all. You can age them and if you like the result, that’s fine, but they’re made to be drunk on release. It really depends on what you like. They’re not necessarily better with age, just a little different.

I agree that age isn’t necessary, but I far prefer them somewhat mature, which I find generally begins around the 12-15 year mark, as Mike said. Of course, good vintages can go longer. It really depends on what you want to get out of them. It’s worth picking up a couple of other bottles, maybe one just-released and one with a bit of age, to see when you might prefer to open this mini-vertical. The nice thing about this wine is that it isn’t all that expensive, so you might as well gain some experience and figure out your own preference. Or, if you know you like mature red wines and don’t really love young Zinfandel with a pretty strong American oak presence, just wait quite a few years.

I agree with these comments except that I like to drink mine at a variety of ages. Sometimes I like to drink them young for the fruit (a perfect brisket wine). Sometimes I like them aged longer for the complexity. My recommendation is to try some young and put some away and experiment over time to see what you like best. Because it drinks well but differently over a very long time, you really kind of have to pick where you like it best (there is no right or wrong answer IMHO). In this sense it is kind of like German Riesling. So, have fun and know that there really are no wrong answers.

I’ve had the 11, 12, and 13 recently (not at the same time) and they were all fairly enjoyable though primary at the time. I just purchased a 2001 that I will try and see.

Lytton is the one that has never been closed down for me. I enjoy them on release, at age 5, 10, etc.

Geyserville is the one I need to let sleep for 10+.

I always assume that I will wait until 15 years. Never happens. I end up opening them in about 7 years and still really enjoy them. Also depends on how much you buy.

We had a '93 a few weeks back that was lovely. One more in the cellar. Stored properly these wines will go quite a long time but like others said do not require it. Drink what you like when you want to.

I would probably drink the '08 now then see what you think

I had all three of these, and I still have a couple cases of the the 2009 and 2010.
Since I drank my 2008, I don’t have the label to look at, but Parker says it matures 2016-2018. Sounds like now to me. What does the label say?
The label on the 2009 says it will continue to mature until 2020 or 2025. Parker says it will mature between 2013 and 2029. That’s quite a range.
The label on the 2010 says it will continue to mature until 2021 or 2026. Parker says (in one issue) it will mature between 2020 and 2030. In a later issue, be says 2015-2030.
Parker rates them all about 92 or 93 or 95. Wine Spectator rates the 2010 a mere 87.
It sounds as if you would like to open all of them at once, as a vertical.
Last year, I had a vertical of the 2007, 2008, and 2009. They were all quite nice.
My suggestion: Buy a nice filet and heat up the grill. Tonight.
Your mileage may vary. You might or might not believe in labels or believe in Parker. But you’re not getting any younger. Nor is the wine.
Phil Jones

I’ve never had an over the hill Ridge. Stuff from 70’s or 80’s. Of course, bottles that old are usually longer lived varieties and/or bottlings. But still, Ridge wines might have the widest drinking windows around.

I think that’s right. I would take them to Spain because the wine makers there were always interested. Good on release and whenever you drink them later. I used to prefer the Geyservilles but of late have decided I prefer the Lyttons. Both do well young and old.

Thank you all for all of the very helpful insight. My takeaway: they can and do age very well, and most prefer them at anywhere from 7-15 years from vintage. I think I’ll wait a bit…thanks again!

Why not experiment with them at various ages. That way, you find out for future reference when YOU prefer them rather than relying on the judgments of others.

Drinking a 2010 Ridge Lytton right now, it’s gorgeous. Like Howard notes, Ridge seems to show at all times, the showing is just a little different with age. This 2010 retains some very vibrant blue and black fruits and spice, and a classic architecture of firm tannins and fresh acids, but it is also picking up some Pessac-like tobacco notes that are captivating. I’ll hold my next bottle for 3-5 years.