TN: 2000 Chateau Lanessan, Haut-Medoc

Like pulling out of your antique oak armoir, that old pair of faded winter Levi’s that fit perfectly. Not those new-fangled skinny Hipster jeans that Fu wears, the ones that displace body mass, push it high and tight, and showcase ankles and other crevasses. This Lanessan fits loosely, comfortably, silky soft and warm. It is honest, transparent, not a product of fashion. Instead, it is a product of good old fashion farming and winemaking. There is zero spoof to be found here. A very pretty perfume of Bordeaux musk, old barnyard wood, dry earth and underbrush, and some lovely warm cassis and red bramble. Has a little spice kick on the nose, too. The palate is round, silky, tannins well-integrated and the red spectrum of fruits showing a nice balance of sweetness and tart, with crisp acidity. Some plummy notes and softness as well, evocative of the vintage.

This is a perfect wine. Not a qualitative 100, mind you, but a perfect wine for what it was intended to be, which is a quality, unpretentious, workman’s Bordeaux to be enjoyed with food, wherever and whenever.
(91 pts.)

I always pictured the ol’ country lawyer as a boot-cut Wranglers kind of guy.

Nice note all the same. It almost makes me want to give Lanessan another go round.

Almost.

With you on this one, as you might expect Robert. It is a wine that makes me happy every time. And what else can you ask for in this type of wine?

One day I will like Lanessan

It’s funny to me, Marc, that Lanessan does not do it for you, yet it shares so many qualities that you and I tend to like in wine (and not just Bordeaux, but Chinon as well).

Neal is right, it’s a happy spot wine. I just finished 6 hours in the office, and to chill with a nice glass of this on a cool day with all doors open, some football on, and a definite nap coming, not much more to ask for!

Been out of this one, and all Lanessan, for a while. Looking forward to my '14 and '15 coming in.

There aren’t many notes that I think hit the nail on the head as much as yours did, Robert.

Thank you, Blake, that’s very kind.

I wonder where this wine will go from 2015 and beyond. Lanessan brought in Hubert de Bouard as a consultant for that vintage. I will not buy it. The good thing is, I have plenty of more recent vintages like 2009, 2010 and 2014, plus a smattering of old ones.

I am sitting on a case of the stuff from when just $10 per bottle, plus a double-magnum which cost only $20.

I have had a number of de Bouard wines, and shockingly liked almost all of them. He has a different hand than Rolland.

Yeah, I think Bouard makes some seriously delicious wines.

Well ok, I respect both of your palates enough to try one on release.

I personally think Bouard has become more heavy-handed over these last ten years. The La Fleur de Bouard, for example, has become undrinkable to me.

It may be that it’s you, not him.

True.

Fair enough.

However, if you look at the tech sheets from the '99 vintage that I bought 1.5 cases of, and then the 2000 that was already pretty opulent, to the 2010 and 2014 vintages, the cab franc component has been cut in half and he is now using 80% new oak with longer time. The winery has a really helpful website, by the way.

Leve’s website added this parapraph:

In 2011, La Fleur de Bouard completed a multi-year reconstruction of their entire wine making making facilities and the chateau, making this one of the most modern estates in the Right Bank . The most striking new feature is their hanging, reverse, stainless steel, conical vats.
Read more at:> Learn about La Fleur de Bouard Lalande de Pomerol, Complete Guide

It’s probably both my palate and the wine.

Very welcome Robert!

FdB is now being run by Coralie and Quentin DB, his kids. Modern no doubt, but very pure and I wouldn’t be surprised to see more pure wines coming out of the estate over the coming years. Quentin interned under me this summer and Has a killer palate. I’m interested in seeing where they go from here.

I spent some time with Hubert when he visited too, his personal insights on wine seemed quite diverse. And he’s great to be around too. We tasted a whole bunch of wines (him blind), and he was able to nail all roughly ten petite chateaux within 10 euro cents of their ex cellar price…it was quite impressive.

Nice note Robert. We opened a bottle of this about three weeks ago. I had a smile on my face until we finished the bottle. I paid $25 for mine and I can’t imagine asking for anything more from a bottle of wine at this price.

Nice note. agreed that the 2000 is drinking great now.

2005 is still rounding out.

Blake, of recent vintages, which FdB do you think would appeal more to my palate, which is less ripe fruit, lower alcohol and less sensation of oak? I could not palate the 2005 vintage at all, heavily oaked. I’m willing to give it another whirl.

Thanks for the note. Have a few and has been awhile since I’ve had one. Time to put one on deck.