TN: 2002 Château Giscours (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux)

2002 Château Giscours - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (12/11/2016)
From half bottle, this is just starting to give a view towards the future. Not the ripest wine, it does have a small hint of green, but it’s also turning the corner towards tobacco, rather than bell pepper. Cedar and spice nuances are coming into play, and the fruit is retaining its cool character. This will never be a rock star, but it’s a lovely wine for dinner.

Posted from CellarTracker

Sheez David, on that note alone, I’d buy buy buy.

The last vintage I bought, 2009, comes across more modern and glossy, but I have to admit, I did like it. Sitting on a few now. Been looking at some 375s for the 2014 and 2015 vintages, my local guy has them.

2002 is an underrated vintage if you like cool climate, traditional style, earthy left bank Bordeaux. Very distinctive vintage, in one sense it could be seen as “light” (certainly not heavy or ripe) but also the wines have a subtle contemplative depth to them.

Sounds like vintage of the century to me.

I agree that 2002 is under-rated. Sure it is a lighter vintage, but it had a nice tannic structure and freshness to it, and it always seemed to me it would follow a fairly traditional aging curve, remaining in a lighter style but evolving good secondary character. A handful of the top left-bank châteaux turned out some really beautiful wines. It’s nice to here that the Giscours is looking good. It reminds me I should pull some of my own 2002s to see how they are getting on.

02 is a fun drinking vintage, not a wow vintage… wines are in a great spot.

You guys try the 01 lately? I had it with Alexander van Beek (along with 99, 03, 05, 09, 10) when he visited Dallas about a month ago… it’s a superstar and I’d recommend the hell out of it.

Giscours 1979 was my epiphany wine and still going strong. I have followed the property through its ups and downs, and recent ups led by Van Beek.

Recently, I retasted the 2010, and I think it is the best Giscours I have ever had. Strong vintage in Margaux generally, and the Giscours (and also Palmer) made incredible wines.

Lascombes 2002 is also very nice.

At a Saturday night holiday dinner we had a 02’ Brdx flight of Lagrange and Pichon Baron. Both showed very well.

2002 Palmer alter ego is beautiful

Alfert, we need to pop my 2002 d’armailhac

Any note u can share on the '01 Giscours?

Had the 2000 yesterday:

• 2000 Château Giscours - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (12/12/2016)
    Really drinking well right now (not something I say about many B2K). Popped and decanted for sediment and served. Ruby/purple in color. The nose is gorgeous (better than the palate). Perfumed with cigar and cassis and cherries. Some dried fruit and leather. On the palate, while very good, not quite as complex as the nose. Nice cherries, and cassis with slightly drying tobacco notes. Some depth. Nice balance. Food helps it. Lovely wine at this point. I have one other bottle and hopefully, will drink it over the next few years. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanx 4 the note Loren…I just purchased a bottle of this last week

Pop with me, Marc! I just grabbed more 2000 Gruard Larose for us!

Oh…yummy 2000 GL!!! It’s a deal sir

Fans of Giscours might consider reading Neil Martin’s recent long exposition on the estate in the WA.

It’s good work, and is complete with updated notes on a vertical.

If the 2002 note sounds up your alley and 09 is too modern and glossy, why are you spending way more to buy vintages like 09, 14 and 15, instead of way less to buy vintages like 02, 04, 06, 11, etc.?

As it relates to Giscours, fair point.

As it relates to Bordeaux in general, I’ve not bought any 2015. I bought lots of 2010 over 2009, the latter I bought selectively. Got about 3 cases of 2014s but everything I’ve read suggests this is a more classic year with good acids. I have lots of 2001, 2004 and 2008. Not so many 2003s. I’m late to the party on 2002, but I think this vintage has surprised people.

I should note, Giscours is not one of my go-to estates, but I have enjoyed those that I have tried.

I absolutely adore '01 vintage

Read some guy going goo goo over '01 Talbot(never tasted) :frowning:

and I’d give my left nugget for a bottle of '01 bahans haut brion