UPDATES: Cab Sauv Suggestions in the AFWE realm

Updated

1/10/2017

So I’ve slowly been acquiring wine that you all have suggested. Thank you again for all the help. Some wine isn’t the easiest to track down so I’ve even been buying wine by producers suggested that are not necessarily cab based so I can get an idea of the winemaker.

I just so happened to HAVE this one in my cellar already.

Tasting Notes:

2000 Hyde De Villaine blend. Lots of tart red cherry and cassis on the nose with a bit of dirt/funk. The wine is in a great window right now. Almost all tannins are resolved and has great acidity with a long finish. There’s no sign of alcohol or oak and it’s pairing perfectly with New York steak.

I don’t know the percentage of cab but it doesn’t seem to be THAT cab dominant. I can tell it’s there though for sure. This is a winner. The wine isn’t all that interesting but it’s very well made and very balanced to my palate.

I had this the other night which was fantastic for the price ($25) I need to find more like it. I loved the vegetal quality it had yet still showing great fruit at the same time.

**** Original Post ****

I apologize in advance for the potentially redundant thread but the search function didn’t yield what I was looking for. I think you guys secretly like answering the same question over and over again anyways :slight_smile:

Can you guys suggest some available wines that are made in a lighter, more traditional style? I do not know cabernet well at all but when I go to tastings and try the Caymus, the Cakebreads the Montelena’s etc. They are generally overoaked and have WAY too much alcohol on them. They just don’t integrate well for my palate. To clarify, I know what cabs are and I’m not asking for a 12% cab that drinks like a pinot. We drink a lot of barolo, brunello, Vacqueyras and bdx so we do drink “bigger” wine as well.

I know there are cabs that are made in a more hands off style that showcase the vineyard and the grape well without being a total fruit bomb.

So what are your producers and/or vintages to try that may be moderately accessible to purchase? I buy from winebid, benchmark K&L etc.

Since I’m experimenting, I’d prefer these be under $60. I don’t know how feasible that price point is but I’m assuming you guys will inform me :slight_smile:

Which pinots do you prefer?

A potential good starting point might be cabs made by your favored pinot makers.

The first that comes to my mind is Mount Eden. Great Pinots, Cabs (and Chardonnays) … Definitely on the more traditional, non-fruit bomb side of the spectrum.

K&L probably has a few in stock, and the Estate Cab should be close to your price target.

Not “light”, but Rivers Marie? As a bonus, I think they are fantastic values.

Most of the pinot I drink doesn’t come from California. Lots of Oregon pinot and French pinot. Burgundy, Jura, Alsace New Zealand.

I do like Arnot-Roberts, Failla, Littorai and Joseph Swan. I could start with Arnot but their cabs are not exactly easy to find.

Enfield Ft Ross Seaview Cabernet. It’s not overly extracted, has reasonable alcohol levels, uses little new oak, and is even bottled in a burgundy type bottle. Right up your alley.

Corison???

K&L has Domaine Eden for $40, which is from Mount Eden, but a different Saratoga vineyard.

Brandon, a TON of good content in this recent thread:

I think Scott and Chris hit home runs for recommendations!

I would also put EMH “Black Cats” in that group, as well. They are just at the edge of your stated price range.

Philip Togni

2000 Fisher Wedding

1995 Mondavi Reserve

I could think of two different answers: (1) cabs made with more of a pinot-ish style or nature to them, or (2) just cabs made in a less ripe / more restrained / more traditional style. The latter don’t usually resemble Pinot at all, though.

There are countless threads on here about (2). (1) is something a bit different though. I could see EMH Black Cat, Dehlinger, Big Basin, Mondavi Reserve …

Maybe it’s me but often times when I say “more traditional style” or “old world style” I get funny looks. I have a hard time explaining what I want. I definitely don’t want cabs that are made like pinot, that’s what I drink pinot for. I want balanced cabernet. I find myself being sensitive to oak and alcohol so my “balanced” may be different than others.

Your #2 is exactly what I was seeking. I changed the topic title so it’s not misleading. Now I’ll get snarky comments about AFWE too :slight_smile:

From the coolsville of Coombsville: http://mdcwines.com/

Best,

Kenney

More than once I’ve told Merrill she’s a Pinot producer with a Cabernet vineyard.

Corison, Black Cat, Bedrock, Calluna, and Ridge come to mind. Honestly, though, the answer is Bordeaux, with time to mellow. Drink Lanessan for pennies compared to any Napa cab, or Sociando Mallet and Cantemerle with bottle age - totally trad, unimpeachably good…

Ridge estate cabs can be found for under that price point. A few others a little pricier than that would be, Corison Napa Valley, Dunn Napa Valley and Mayacamas.

I have had some absolutely beautiful Bordeaux, the problem (maybe this is silly), Bordeaux wines intimidate me. There’s SO much more history and actual wineries that it’s daunting. So I figured I’d start with a much smaller area where it’s easier to pintpoint what I’m looking for.

I’d easily go for older bdx, I just don’t have a clue what to look for (vintage or winery).

Kinda weird this is the first mention of Bordeaux which would seem to be the obvious answer to the question. (More specific answer would require a little more info).

Could be the answer, but not in response to the question.