What happened to Beringer Knights Valley cabernet?

Sipping a 2012 KV, have had the 2013 and the 2010 recently and totally unimpressed. I used to like these a lot as a house wine. More recent vintages just seem to lack any stuffing whatsoever. Maybe there is nothing wrong with them, maybe my palate has just chamged. But I wonder if the introduction of a reserve KV in 2010 ( I think it was) could have robbed the regular cuvee of its source of goodness? Any other thoughts out there?

You are correct. The last great vintages far pre-dated the 2010, although the pricing and naming portray otherwise.
Last week, I drank a 1985, which was still in the late stages of its prime…and far better than recent, over-priced vintages. The 1996 vintage was the first downdraft toward high-priced mediocrity.

Just grabbed a 2013 because I thought the wife would like it…wow, very unimpressed, completely generic with little to no character…disappointing

Many of the plots formerly in the Knights Valley bottling now go into the Private Reserve bottling,
such that the recent Knight Valley vintages consist of lesser vats or just purchased generic juice.

And the KV reserve is no great shakes or value. Too bad.

Knights Valley isn’t in Napa, so if they’re adding that to the PR it can’t be much.

Haven’t had a really stellar one of these made after the 90s.

There is not one to be had. [snort.gif]

They don’t make that much of the KV Reserve, maybe 500-1000 cases or so? Its not that widely distributed. I’ve got a bottle from the 90s, so its been out there for a while.

Had a pretty good bottle of the 2001 maybe a year or so ago. The 2012 was nothing special (to me). And I put a 2013 down for old times sake, but don’t have any expectations.

These are probably more wines that people will end up consuming at restaurants, or by the glass, rather than cellaring themselves, now.

In Western supermarkets one sometimes sees little winery rebate tags attached to the necks, which can make the base KV as cheap as $16, $17ish at times. Perhaps at that price, people can be more forgiving.

I sell wine here in Oregon. A couple of months ago I was visited by some people from Rodney Strong. One of the wines I tasted was 2013 Knights Valley Cab 2013. I was very impressed. They said that Beringer had gotten into a dispute with their fruit sources in KV. At that point Rodney Strong picked up those contracts. Their version in 2013 was much better than the recent versions of Beringer IMO. The Rodney Strong version sell for $26. This could certainly be a factor in how Beringer version has changed since 2012 anyway. The previous comments I would agree with.

While it’s not my preferred style, Rodney Strong has been upgrading their portfolio. Beringer, except at the top end, has been downgrading or just backsliding.

Beringer=Owned by Treasury Wine Estates, therefore made in volume, not quality. The big box brands will continue to move this way, and will inevitably be caveat emptor.

The top end Beringer wines are still really good.

Absolutely agree with that! Well, the cabernet and merlot. The chardonnay can be hit or miss depending on how oaky it can be.

We had a great visit at Rodney Strong over the summer, so thanks for that info. I had not realized that they were getting more/better fruit. I never really hear that estate mentioned among oenophiles.

2 weeks ago drank a 1994 Beringer Bancroft Ranch merlot that was simply amazing. Tight and structured, with just maturing fruit with tertiary characters. It blew away (but not by much?) a couple of old Montelana Cabernet reserves from the same era. Wish I would have saved a few more. Would prefer these by a mile to any 91-95 Petrus bottlings. Used to be something like 50 bucks…Sbragia back in the day did some amazing things with the fruit they sourced.

I spent a few more bucks on the 2010 Beringer Reserve Knights Valley and just love it.

I don’t know how well the more recent releases will age. I had the 2012 Beringer Private Reserve Cabernet on release, and it kind of had a Caymus SS-esque edge to it that was really unappealing. It still maintained that classic dark, rich style, but the wine had almost no acid or tannin to it. I thought the Chardonnay was a clone of Rombauer, just gross and unappealing. I think for the price you pay for Beringer PR Cab now, there is simply way too much good wine to buy for the same price, or even in some cases, cheaper.

That’s how most 2012 Napa Cabs taste.

What could anyone tell me about the Knight’s Bridge Cabernet, different winery all together, but I am unable to find much info. Was recently gifted a 2011 Knights Bridge Cabernet Knights Valley.