2015 Schrader - 2nd round offer

So, originally when Schrader made the December 2016 offer for the 2015 vintage wines I thought I was axed from their list. But I got a save the date for January 17th in my email. I also got an actual mail pamphlet from them and says I can order 1 4-pack “glorious”. I think it was 1 ccs, 1 lpv and 2 rbs. Or some variation of this.

Still trying to decide if I should do this. $900 plus tax and S&H is about $251.50 each bottle.

Anyone else thinking of buying?

Isn’t $900 for a 4-pack = $225 per bottle? Then you add tax and shipping?

Oops. Sorry. Yes it is. Math skills are rusty today.

I’d pass. It’s just another overpriced Napa cab.

The problem is that I like To-Kalon vineyard Cabernet wine which do not come cheap. Starting around $160 a bottle from certain producers and continuing upwards into the lower stratosphere. So at $250, the BTK Schrader may appear expensive but relative to the rest of that market, it’s still fairly “cheap”. :frowning:

Joe, I am guessing you mean Beckstoffer To-Kalon? You could,otherwise stock up on Mondavi for less than half the price. Or get MacDonald. The Mondavi Mondavi PNV monastery block.

I just made the list myself but will be passing. I wanted to see if its in my wheelhouse, but at a $900 commitment will be looking elsewhere.

Yeah why would you get this when you can buy 7 Dunn Howell Mountain’s. Did I mention its better too!

Because we’ll all be dead by the time the HM is mature?

No, it’s not. It’s a completely different style of wine. Why even put them in the same sentence?

There are several thousand people waiting to get a MacDonald allocation offered to them. Good luck finding MacDonald on the secondary market for a decent price.

The Dunn may not be better for you Nick, but for those of us with a sophisticated palate, it is!

I think I am on his list. I was offered wine last year but did not buy for some reason. Then after it closed it hit me… oh well. Hopefully this year.

The Robert Mondavi monastery I looked up on CT and does not sound like they make a lot of it nor do people seem to like it as much. Maybe its their winemaker at Mondavi. I am a TRB fan.

Lol Dunn is not sophisticated its just tannic. In all seriousness, Nick is right. Schrader to Dunn is apples to carburators.
If anyone wants an idea of the Schrader style, there are lots of more readily available choices. Jones, Rivers Marie, Harris, GTS I think is very close, Hobel et al. All have the TRB signature and can be found for a lot less money. I buy Schrader and the others I mentioned fwiw

Through a friend I bought a Beckstoffer To Kalon.

Anyone have any insight on the 2015 Napa vintage? What was the growing season like in that area?

FWIW, the 4-pak offer for round 2 is (1) CCS, and (3) RBS cabs. 900 Bones

For those of you in NY, why not take the $900 from your kid’s college fund? - sounds like Gov Cuomo is gonna make college “free” to everyone if he has his way.

Speaking of TRB, he has a hand in Maybach. It’s less expensive than schrader. If you read tasting notes on CT, Maybach is more consistent.

Is Dunn still using his magical de-alc machine to try to turn Napa Cab into Bordeaux? Why not just buy Bordeaux? I always find it sad when a winemaker tries to force a style of wine from a terroir that is trying its hardest to do the opposite.

So what are the differences between the T6, RBS and CCS? Seems like they are all BTK but different clones. So confusing.

And the lack of explanation feels arrogant. “Hey, buy this package deal of random acronyms for a boatload of money!” Umm, why?