TN: 2015 Bedrock Wine Co. Bedrock Heritage Wine

2015 Bedrock Wine Co. Bedrock Heritage Wine - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (1/7/2017)
This was a huge step up from the Bedrock Nervo I had several weeks ago. Despite the embryonic state of this wine it showed more layers of flavor, with fruit, stone, herb and a subtle finishing creaminess that made for an interesting textural experience. I will let my other bottles rest for a few years, but this was fun to drink.

Posted from CellarTracker

2015 is looking like a knockout year for Bedrock so far! Thanks for posting.

My favorite wine overall from Bedrock, thx for the sneak peak!

Agreed. This, and the base Zin. Both excellent. I passed on the last offering but a local retailer has this wine for $45. Need to go grab some.

FWIW, I think Bedrock Vineyard is the BWC wine that demands the most age for maximum enjoyment. I like to give these at least 4-5 years from vintage date.

I also think that Morgan’s style in general is somewhat less forgiving for early drinking than say Carlisle or Turley. If the '15 Bedrock Vineyard is already drinking well - this is a propitious sign!

Mike, agreed, these really shine after 4-5 years and totally agreed that Morgan’s wines are generally less forgiving for early drinking than Carlisle or Turley.

That said, I’ve also always found the Bedrock Bedrock Heritage to be killer for the first 4-6 months after release…after that, they shut down hard.

I had the 2011 last night. Really nice. Totally open and ready. I’ve been drinking up Bedrock 2011’s and letting 2012-15’s hide in the cellar…

1000% agree with this. Do yourselves a favor and don’t drink these for at least 5 years. Completely different experience at that point. Crush the OVZ while you wait.

In fact, other than the Dolinsek (and possibly the Weil a way mixed blacks), I try not to touch any of my Bedrock single vineyard red wines for 4 to 5 years.

^ Doesn’t OVZ also benefit from a couple years as well though?

I think it absolutely does! Just finishing up my 12s and moving onto 13s.

…but if you don’t have any OVZ with a little age on it…you’re still better off drinking that compared to the single Vineyard stuff.

As Rich says, absolutely and imo they need it…the North Coast Syrah even more so.

The one exception to this was the 2013, which was quite simply amazing on release and remains one of the best examples of $20, non-discount bottles I’ve ever had. For this reason, I always try a bottle of OVZ near release just to suss out the situation.

All of this is really good information if you have been on the list for 5 years…

I started with the 2014s.

David, we can fix that, pm sent.

Had this at a release pick up. Really good bones, think it will be exceptional many years down the road (i am thinking starting at 5 but going well beyond)

I know that it is often folly to generalize about vintages but, regarding the Bedrock reds, can anyone tell me a bit about whether 2014 or 2015 would be more forgiving of early drinking?

Bedrock pops up on Commerce Corner quite a lot. I think people bought way more than they realized following the hype of the board and as Morgan makes so many good wines and has so many releases. HDH has a fair bit from time to time as well.

It’s only $19 a bottle, why geek over it? Just enjoy it.

Exactly. The idea of worrying that a sub-$20 bottle needs time seems so wine geek…

I’ve buying them for years and for my palate they get a lot better, that’s why.

Aging any wine is geeky to about 99.9% of the world.

So, for your palate, what is a daily drinker? I mean if you have to age everything then nothing is ever ready on demand. Did you go your first 4-5 years of drinking wine by not drinking wine?
No trying be be an ass, serious question.