First Growths in First Class, Palmer in Business Class

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-05/how-emirates-airline-serves-the-best-wine-list-in-the-sky

There’s another thread on this.

I’ve never seen First growth in F though…

Isn’t that kind of a waste? I thought there were issues with wine tasting weird/bad at cabin pressures.

Ive always thought that was absolute rubbish promoted by the airlines as an excuse for poor quality wines. I have been lucky enough to fly a lot of business and first internationally and things like Krug, DP and Johnnie Walker Blue have always tasted exactly the same. The airlines always promoted that alcohol was far more potent at altitude, again ive disproven this hundreds of times, its another ploy to reduce the amount consumed as a cost savings.

Airlines are like lawyers, the old joke, you know they are lying because the lips are moving

John is a lawyer, Harvard grad.

I was doubtful of an article but found a recent wine menu on Flyertalk for Etihad. No first growth but 86 Ducru and 97 Jaboulet la chappelle.

Cathay has cut there wine program in F dramatically as did Etihad (although Etihad did have a nice Bouchard Meirsault Premier Cru (forgot which PC) recently. More often it seems like they offer a St. Aubin or Pernand Vergelless white. You can usually get a nice champagne, but the high end reds seem to be dinosaurs on the other high end carriers

ETA it is a Meursault lieux dit, 2013 Le Clous, which I preferred to their red offering, Boissot Chambolle 1er Les charmes 2012 which didn’t move me. Other offerings- Pieropan La Rocca 2014 Soave, Villa Antinori Chisnti Classico Riserva 2012 (really, that’s the best Italian red you could do Etihad?), Sociandi Mallet 2009. Would be a solid business class lineup, but illustrates how international F class has declined.

Altitude definitely slows the oxidation of the wines ( takes longer to open ) IMO,YMMV

I thought Muslims didn’t drink wine

Yes they only transport Muslims Howard. There’s a test before you board.

Muslims prefer the Johnnie Walker Blue.

On a flight from DXB >> CDG, they served 2008 Louis Latour Criots Batard Montrachet.

My favourites were the Grahams single vintage tawnys from the sixties. Oh and they still pour Hennessy Paradis.

What do they serve 4 us in coach?

Blue nun and black opal shiraz

Etihad’s wines in economy aren’t up to much. I don’t think I have ever tried them (driving the other end). Generic South African Red and White iirc. Never flown economy on Emirates.

So Russell your the off duty guy who takes my upgrades !!!

Nope don’t work for the airline. Elsewhere in the (quasi) government.

I’ve flown Cathay HKG-SFO roundtrip last year in F and C. Not bad. Certainly doesn’t compare to Emirates, but not complaining. Krug NV and 2000-2005 vintage mid-level bordeaux in F.

Thank you

They used to pour Lynch Bages on every flight in F across the Pacific.

Flew to Europe this past December on AA business (no first) and the Cabernet was St. Francis.