TN: 2014 Cameron Pinot Noir Willamette Valley (USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley)

• 2014 Cameron Pinot Noir Willamette Valley - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (1/11/2017)
    Dark ruby with a cherry nose and a pleasant amount of funkiness. Dry with some tart tannins, medium fruit, funky cherries reminiscent of those rum/cherry filled chocolates, balsam, earthy forest notes. not really reserved or austere. My wife who prefers white wine is starting to open up to Cameron reds. I need to increase a pt on that basis alone. She actually poured a second glass with salmon. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Terrific note! Do you know if any local Seattle shops have this wine? I’m heading downtown today for a meeting…:slight_smile:

Based on personal experience, I can tell you that is a slippery slope! [cheers.gif]

• 2014 Cameron Pinot Noir Willamette Valley - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (2/6/2017)
    Dark ruby, lilacs and cherry nose. Lightly dry, soft fruit with just a touch of funkiness, more in the sense of earthy mineral. Medium fruit and body, light on the tannins, blood orange on the finish which gives a little twist, developing some saline notes in the glass on night two. It has a profile that improves with familiarity, I would liken to drinking an IPA that if you like it you do and if not you don’t. (91 pts.)

Night three and shows continued improvement, bright berry notes predominate with a little tart mineral, the slight funkiness is more toward leather and earth, up a point and climbing.

• 2014 Cameron Pinot Noir Willamette Valley - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (3/9/2017)
    Medium to dark ruby with light violet nose. Dry with some lightly tart fruit, limited funkiness in the fruit of raspberries and currants, some light cane pith tannins in wonderful balance with a slight acid edge. This reminds me of my first experience drinking an OR PN that got me to take the grape seriously. Just a lingering fresh fruit kept in check by the acids. Not super complex, just damn good for $17. I should have bought a case. (92 pts.)

The 2015 is hitting stores I think this week? I’m very curious to try them. The '14 was a really great wine for the money.

Eric @ sec has my number. [snort.gif]

I have a few hitting my door in Virginia today from a Portland retailer, so they are definitely out. Giving Sec a try after Europa folded.

Anyone tasted the 2015 yet? I loved the 2013 and 2014 but am a bit concerned about 2015 heat. Am I correct that 2015s are riper than 2014s? If so I may sit this one out or wait on the reserves.

I shared your concern, but the few '15s I’ve tried (admittedly not the Cameron WV), I would not hesitate to buy favorite producers. If you liked '14 then '15 should be fine. If you prefer '10 and '11, you may want to taste before buying heavily in '15.

I’ve enjoyed about half a case of the '14. I’m not opposed to ripeness, but I wouldn’t want it any riper than the '14, if you follow me. A tad less would be ideal. Tough call for me on this one. I’ve had no '15s yet so frame of reference is nonexistent!

I have only had one '15 from a new Yamhill-Carlton vineyard as first leaf and while still needing some bottle age showed good promise to me. BTW, I like the '10s and the '14s, waiting on the '11s and '13s. Good acid and restrained fruit work for me regardless of vintage, I go with the wine maker and a good many here know them. [cheers.gif]

Thanks for the advice gentlemen, even if it is likely to cost me money!

I tasted the 2015 Walter Scott Temperance Hill recently and it’s, as usual, a really dynamite wine. Very balanced.

+1 that 2015 is on the riper side like 2014. Fans of 2010 may be disappointed, but fans of '12 and '14 will be happy. That said, I have had several producers tell me that 2015 will age slightly better than '14.

I have not drank enough of them side-by-side to tell. Marcus (or anyone else here who tastes daily), what about '15 gives you optimism they’ll be better than '14’s in 10 yrs?

Got around to opening the '15 and was really impressed. No cameron funk on this. All cherries and forest. A richer wine that might be too rich for some Oregon fans, but I really like it. A bottle like this ends up costing about $25 before I can get my mitts on it on the east coast, so not the crazy deal it is for locals, but still hard to beat for the money.

Of the producers I’ve been able to try 14s against 15s (including my employer) the 15s seem fresher and more energetic. Could be some bottle shock so maybe things will fill out but that’s my impression as of now.

thanks to this thread, I found out about Sec Wines in Portland. I haven’t had a chance to try them yet, but I was intrigued and wanted to try the Cameron and other Oregon Pinots (felt like I missed out on some on BerserkerDay), so ordered a mixed case and it just arrived yesterday. Eric was really great to deal with, responsive about shipping, and he has a great selection of Oregon wines as well as an interesting curated selection of other wines. Can’t wait to try the '15 Cameron WV Pinot as well as the others

I just opened a '15 Evesham Wood Willamette because at $15 after tax and shipping (thank you Gerard’s, NJ). why not? and the answer I got from the bottle was “cuz you’re a dumbass”. As primary and disjointed as any wine I’ve tasted in a while. But from what I could tell, this example is high-toned with very bright red fruit. Remember the candy, Pixie. that was a powder in a straw? Think cherry flavored Pixie and that was the flavor profile I took away from it. No change over three days with no stopper.

My last bottle drank over three nights:

• 2014 Cameron Pinot Noir Willamette Valley - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (4/21/2017)
    Medium ruby with a ripe berry, woody nose. Night two, dry, tart red berry fruit, cranberry, rhubarb, red currants and some pomegranate. Medium fruit and body with a good acid and tannin balance. Soft and round mouth feel with nice tartness to be very interesting and compelling. Lovely fresh and fruity with some chewy raspberries, not one to ponder, just drink and enjoy now. (92 pts.)