Consolidated 2016 Beaujolais TNs

Just saw the first offer of Lapierre Morgon. If you taste any 16’s, post 'em.

LOL, I just cracked a 2015 tonight for trying!

So what are you hearing about the vintage?

Starting a consolidated TN thread without including a TN?? C’mon now.

Is there any wine?

If I am recalling correctly what I heard, I believe that Dutraive’s cellar is pretty much empty.

Any reviews of the vintage?

The Lapierre has been here for awhile. Received today Dutraive/Grand’Cour; Fleurie VV (“Tous Ensemble”), Brouilly VV, and Fleurie (billed as Jean Louis Dutraive, non-estate fruit this year from the Chanudet family).

Maybe a week or two ago I had a 2016 Dupeuble Beaujolais. Compared to the numerous 2015 cru wines that I’ve been happily guzzling it of course lacked the power, pure fruit and tannin. I still enjoyed it for what it was with some fruit, earth and a bit of funkiness and just a touch of green. Make me think the cru wines will be good.

Just had an offer for magnums of 2016 Metras Moulin-a-Vent. Anyone tried these or other Metras… Fleurie?

Now the 2016 Thivin Brouilly being offered. Anyone tried it?

Steve, I just got from Kermit samples of the Thivin Brouilly and Cote de Brouilly, Chanrion Cote de Brouilly and Dichon MaV, which I will attempt to get on the table shortly and will post my impressions.

I was not a big fan of the 2015 Thivin Cote de Brouilly. I thought that the somewhat rustic style of Chanrion’s Cote de Brouilly worked much better with the ripeness of the vintage. For my palate, thankfully, 2016 looks like a return to more typical Beaujolais after the heavy-weight 2015s. No doubt, the 2015s, which have ample stuffing, may stretch out with time, but for me they are over the top right now. The 2016 Thivin has a bright, slightly sweet herbal, red fruit aroma, a cool, clean attack and firm cranberry-like fruit which finishes with a snap and crackle. The 2016 Chanrion has an engaging nose which features some sweet cherry fruit and forest action, and it too is fresh and cool on the palate, but the fruit is of the brambly sort going this way and that, without the focus, delineation and precision of the Thivin. Both are good, Chanrion for a burger off the grill, Thivin for a nicely prepared piece fish. If you can buy only one, then Thivin. It is the most Burgundian Beaujolais that I know. One day, Robert Alfert is going to make the leap from it to Burgundy, after he lays off the Ridge and Loire Valley reds and his taste buds find equilibrium.

Thanks for the notes Martin. I am going to stay away from the 16’s unless something is compelling. I have enough 2014 and 2009 to carry me for some time.

I’ve been eyeing 2014 Thivin on the shelf at my Whole Foods, hoping they’ll have a wine sale. Today I saw there was some 13, so this conversation got me to grab a couple more 14s before they disappear.

Good call, Alan. Thivin’s 2014 Cote du Brouilly is lovely. The 2016 is in the same league. I have it on the table again tonight and it is quintessential Thivin - bright, fresh, cool, with crunchy cranberry fruit. I also have open the 2016 Thivin Brouilly Reverdon, the aroma and flavor profile of which are much the same as the Cote du Brouilly, but it has a briary aspect to it and perhaps a little more punch and not the “aristocratic” (as Kermit would say) restraint and detail of the Cote du Brouilly. Both are good wines in 2016. Thivin’s measured style (leaving aside the 2015) is such that one can drink the wines frequently and not tire of them. Few will make a mistake spending about $20 on a bottle on the 2016s.

Disclaimer: I sell Thivin.

The 2016 Jean-Paul Thevenet Morgon Vieilles Vignes is slightly opaque and several shades off the inky 2015s. The aromas are red and fresh, with some sweet forest/eucalyptus stuff going on. It is cool and pure on the palate, has some taut flesh through the mid-palate, and it finishes sappy and clean. Some of the vines here are 110 years-old and it shows in the persistence and texture of the wine. Based upon a sample size of about ten wines, it appears to me that 2016 is shaping up to be a fine Beaujolais vintage of charm and elegance.

Opened my first 2016 today, the Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette. If this is representative of the vintage, I’m a buyer (skipped 09 and '15). On the nose, a very slight bubble-gum/carbonic element with some reduction at first. On the palate, bright brambly fruit --raspberries and some tart blackberries --along with an herbal element and some dusty spice on the back end. Very approachable, very drinkable, good and lifted, if just a tad simple. Definitely on the brighter/elegant side and to me augers good things for '16 bojo. Can’t wait to try Thivin and the Piron Morgon…

I never had the Reverdon, nor have I heard of it before. Saw it on the shelf next to some Brouilly (which I of course bought). Would you say the Reverdon is an early drinking weekday dinner bottle? Store near me still has a few at $14 each.

Jerome, Reverdon is a particular sector of Mont Brouilly. At $14, buy them all.

I guess I will be taking a short drive soon. Thanks! [cheers.gif]

bump

2016 Thivin La Chapelle might be the greatest young Beaujolais I’ve ever had. It’s also the first 2016 I’ve tasted and gives me high hopes for the vintage.