TN: 2007 Rhys Pinot Noir Horseshoe Vineyard

Surprising there’s no notes in WB that I could find on this wine. I knew I should have let this sleep but grabbed it anyway… Still so primary. Very good but no secondary characteristics and still lots of structure. Dark fruit, a little cooked fruit stink that blew off after 30 min. I would say it needs another 5-10 years before opening another as it’s in somewhat of an odd place at the moment. Stored since release at 55f.

Looks like I won’t be touching the remaining '08s that I have for a long time.

Here’s my note from 2014:

2007 Horseshoe Pinot:
Tight but some pure bright red fruit with incipient complexity. Give it time but I am really looking forward to drinking this in 5 years or so.

And here’s my note from 2009:

2007 Horseshoe Pinot
Starting out we unanimously agree that of the '07s the nose on the FF is best while the palate on the Horseshoe wins out. There’s not much nose here at first but a few hours later it’s opened beautifully. The flavors are like a soft lovely watercolor wash of beautiful colors combined with an attractive earthiness. Tied with the '06 Home for my red WOTN.

Thank you for the update!

08s Horseshoe pinot will be ready before the 07s. 07 was really burly, and a bit rough. Still one of my favorite Horseshoes though. Rhys team was still figuring out the vineyard that vintage.

Another note is here.

I’m a fan of the Rhys Horseshoe Pinot’s. Impressions are that this one will shine with a few more years of age.

I agree that it was one of my favorite Horseshoes so I think they had it pretty well figured out :slight_smile: