Sojourn threads feel a little spammy

Just sayin.

I like the wine and I know that some of the others who post on it also like it a lot. I even had one with Dan the Man a few weeks ago that he brought. Can you point to something specific?

No . . . Really?

Was it the big sign above the table saying:

96 POINT PINOT ???

There’s 3 separate Sojourn threads on the first page, 1 on the second, and 4 on the 3 page all about the wines in the just announced release.

Then there aren’t ANY mentions of Sojourn for at least 4 more pages before I gave up searching.

Just sayin.

Well . . .

Here’s the real question - and folks should probably be up front about this:

Are folks getting freebie samples in exchange for writing about them?
Is there a road trip out there where someone from Sojourn is pouring these?

If I am wrong, please call me out on this - I can take it . . .

Just curious.

Cheers!

Maybe the recent posters tasted together?

Samples get sent and tastings are arranged in Sonoma for some who are asked if they might be interested in adding a note here.

Basic marketing.

I have my own thoughts on all of this but as for the marketing effort I cannot slight anyone involved.

[popcorn.gif]

I will gladly volunteer if you decide to take on this marketing strategy [drinkers.gif]

Decent wines - not surprised they have been mentioned as of late. Can’t speak to the multiple threads or the spam-ness of the threads. [wow.gif]

i don’t see the big deal. They got offered to try the new releases, they wrote notes. Shrug. Take them how you may.

I think spam is a little bit harsh. I think the number of different threads may be what caught your attention since some posted about wines as they drank them, some posted about just the Pinots and others were more about the whole release.

Why I think spam is a bit harsh is that the notes came from Board participants (many long-term) on a winery that is a BerserkerBusiness and who participate in BerserkerDay. To me spam would be someone who the board doesn’t know coming on to promote a wine.

Since the notes are pre-release, it is apparent that these are not purchased wines just like many of the posts where we go to tasting rooms and get the opportunity to taste wines that are not yet available for purchase.

I edited my post. I decided not to get involved with this.

Another Sojourn thread? Seriously Brig!

Anything to draw attention to the new release. neener

It’s not apparent unless it’s stated. There’s a big difference between going to a tasting room and getting free bottles. In the latter case, even if tasters try to avoid it, they will likely be influenced by the fact that they received free bottles. I think it should be mentioned. Everyone else is so cautious about stating ITB affiliations here, yet when people receive free bottles with the expectation of posted notes, they are very much in the business of marketing, and apparently (there’s that word again) not mentioning it.

edit: I have absolutely no problem with the practice, but I really do believe it should be stated.

Not spamming, shilling?

champagne.gif

Which is probably why Brig said “a little spammy.” I think he meant that you could sense the coordination of free tastings, posted notes, and the new release. Those things probably didn’t happen organically or coincidentally.

It also doesn’t mean there is anything wrong with it (and I like Sojourn and the people behind it), but I can see how people notice what seems to be going on and take it into account in seeing all the Sojourn new release posts.

Agreed.

In other news, Amazon has decided to ban incentivized reviews. Their research concluded that, despite some honest attempts to be authentic, sponsored reviews were overwhelmingly skewing positive.

I agree that the sponsored reviews should at least state such so that I can take that into account.

May be true, but what about Bedrock and Carlisle? Talk about all over this board…