TN - 2012 Vajra Riesling

This was the first time to have this riesling from the Piedmont region of Italy. I’m familiar with the red wines from this producer but never have had this riesling. After opening the nose was slightly muted with possibly slight lemon honey scent. The wine was a slight yellow and very clear. At first sip the acidity comes through with a honeyed citrus(lemon and orange peel) flavor which has medium length. The acidity falls off before the honey fruit flavors. This is a very nice wine from Vajra and I would not have determined that this was a riesling. I would be more inclined to place this between a cortese and dry chenin blanc wine. By the way this wine went superbly with freshly harvested clams steamed and placed in a lemongrass-coconut milk-chile-clam broth with fresh bread to sop up the excess broth.
IMG_0004 (2).jpg

Interesting!

I’d really like to try this. Recently had the Vajra Moscato and really enjoyed it.

Gary - You aren’t the first to become a fan of this wine. It flies a little under the radar but it is first rate.

There have been a number of posts on it in different threads in recent months. Links are collected here.

Here’s the winery’s website page for the wine.

My wife and I discovered Vajra Riesling when we visited the winery in November on our honeymoon. Isidoro, Giuseppe’s younger brother, is particularly passionate about it. He told us a number of great stories about how they came to plant the grape there.

According to Isidoro, their father was the first person in Barolo to plant riesling over 30 years ago and everyone thought he was nuts. We tasted the 2015 with Isidoro which was riper and more tropical. He suggested we try to find the 2014 while in Barolo as it was more racy and pure. Coincidentally, it was on the list at Osteria Veglio that night. Beautiful wine.

I’ve had this bottle in my fridge for the past 3 months, time to check in on it!

I love the Vajra wines. Just a couple of days ago I listened to Vajra’s interview on Levi Dalton’s “I’ll Drink to That” podcast. Interesting guy, though the translation takes away from the listening experience a bit IMO. I haven’t had this wine but I will look for a bottle and give it a try.