Wayfarer Vineyard

I am somewhat intrigued by Wayfarer Vineyard.

www.wayfarervineyard.com

Has anyone here tried the wines? What are the comps in terms of style? Which Pinot Noir(s) would you suggest?

Thanks,
Tom Lee

FWIW, some notes from the August 2014 West of West tasting in Sebastopol - my only experience with the Wayfarer wines.

Wayfarer 2012 Chardonnay, Estate, Wayfarer Vineyard, Fort Ross-Seaview. > Fermented and aged in 65% new French oak. Light yellow-gold color, with apple and pear fruit, baking spice, and a big vanilla/oak component. Rich mouthfeel and a smooth finish.

Wayfarer 2012 Pinot Noir, Estate, Wayfarer Vineyard, Fort Ross-Seaview. > From 12 Pinot clones, native fermentation with 8% whole clusters, aged in 78% new French oak. Medium-light ruby color, this displayed ripe black cherry, earth, and spice on the nose along with a framework of sweet oak. Medium-bodied with lively acidity and fine tannins on the finish.

Wayfarer 2012 Pinot Noir, “Golden Mean,” Estate, Wayfarer Vineyard, Fort Ross-Seaview. > From Pommard and Swan clones, native fermentation with 10% whole clusters, aged in 80% new French oak. Medium-light color, with more of a red fruit profile, lots of spice, and notes of forest floor and vanilla/oak. Richer texture than the previous wine but retaining good acidity, and moderate tannins on the tangy finish.

I have to say that I was hoping to like these more than I did - on the bigger, oakier side for West Sonoma Coast wines. But keep in mind that this was for their first vintage, so more recent releases may be a bit different. I’d certainly like to try the Wayfarer wines again.

I liked them a lot… but I hate lean/afwe wines which should be taken into account. They’re big without flabbiness and I find them to offer a lot for the money. Ken nailed it with his descriptions, Id add nothing except to echo his remarks.

arent’ the pinots north of $100? lots of good and full bodied Pinot in that area that are significantly cheaper

I loved the '12s - rich, fruity and flavorful but also some of that West Sonoma balance and lightness. A good combination. I thought the '13s and '14s took a step back - more austere and green. But I hope to try the '15s - given this variation I see this as a wine maker with big potential trying to find her voice. For now I think there are far better choices, especially at this price point. I would suggest snagging one or two to try before going too deep.

Thanks. Did not realize it was that much. I was looking at some bottles on WineBid for $55-$60.

Tom

Tom,

I had a bottle of the 12 FT Ross vineyard late winter 2016. An absolute monster with ABV around 15. It was delicious, well made and capable of aging 10 years no problem. It’s not what I would reach for in terms of Pinot regularly but worth a buy if you want to try it.

Tom,

Check your PM.

Jamie

I thought they were like $75? Josh Raynolds pointed these out to me a few years ago, and was really impressed. They aren’t super overblown either. The Golden Mean was my favorite, it had the most going on for me. Wayfarer is also excellent.

Got it Jamie. Replyed back.

Thanks,

Tom

I tasted the 2014 vintage about a year ago. You can find those notes as well as what I thought of the 2013 on the Wayfarer website.

It is entirely possible I’m off on the price point. I thought I had looked it up recently and made a note to myself it cost that much, but perhaps I was mistaken.

Sounds like some style variation earlier on. How are the Chardonnays from Wayfarer more recently?

Is this technically part of Pahlmeyer?

Big #’s in rp and vinous for 2018’s.

Separate project but family now that Pahlmeyer label is Gallo owned.

Wife and I did a PNP of a 2015 Wayfarer Pinot Noir Wayfarer Vineyard the other night. Quite a nice nose - very deep, rich and perfumed. Intensely flavored rich dark berries on the palate. Complex and layered with a slightly earthy/savory finish. Integrated acidity and tannins were hardly perceptible. Might be considered a little OTT for some who prefer a lighter touch, but it didn’t quite get there for us. Cheers!

Too early to tell. The wines are still cellaring. West Sonoma Pinot - with suitcase and proprietary clones. It’s a boutique venture. I believe Cleo Pahlmayer is the proprietor owner probably with Jayson. Jayson sold the Pahlmayer winery a couple years back. The winemaker changed around 2016 used to be Bibiana Rave and now Todd Kohn. Flagship Pinot is similar to Rhys high end. Overall also closest to nearest neighbors Hirsch /Occidental. Pricing seems Littorai, Kistler, Occidental, and Rhys. Packaging is great and reflective of the care and thought of the owner.

I’ve picked up a few Wayfarer Chards (Sonoma Coast/Annapolis) from LB…tried one, it was solid. Similar winemaking style to Pahlmeyer - nothing shy, more fruit than finesse, but methinks it will continue to improve for a year or two. At $25, a good QPR if you like decent Chards