Unusual Grape Varieties You Have Tried / Want To Try

Every week I try a wine made 100% from an unusual varietal I have never had before. I prefer if I have never even heard of it before. Let’s use this thread to share about our experiences with any unusual varietals you’ve tried.

Notes from my past couple months:

Petite Arvine: This a Swiss white grape. This white wine came from an Italian winemaker (with French heritage) on the Swiss border. How’s that for unsual? This had lovely aromatics with apple and almost tropical fruit, but a very clean body and crisp (not tart) finish. It was a perfect substitute for those who love Sauv Blanc but have gotten bored and are looking for another non-oaky, non-buttery wine what has enough going on to hold your interest and pairs very well with similar foods as sauv blanc. Everyone enjoyed this. Nothing special here, but enjoyable.
I found a nice write-up on the varietal here: Fringe Wine: Petite Arvine - Valle d'Aosta, Italy and Vétroz, Switzerland
(Wine drank: Grosjean Vallee D’Aoste Petite Arvine)

Fiano: White Italian grape from Tuscany region that is rumored to have been popular among the Romans. Well, I can see why. I am yet to find a single wine drinker who doesn’t like this winemaker’s Fiano. It splits the difference between a creamy chardonnay, and a floral torrontes and tropical fruited chenin blanc while not going too far towards any extreme. Still crisp and clean, not bitter nor sweet. Absolute winner of a ‘bring a wine to a party’ if it’s for curious wine geeks or just has to please everyone (I even had a friend who dislikes white wine say he liked this). Highly recommend this, especially for the value under $20.
(Wine drank: Otto Muri Toscana Fiano)

Saperavi: My favorite find. Saperavi is an indigenous grape from one of the world’s oldest wine regions, the Republic of Georgia (been making wine for 8000 years – do any of you have a 7014 BC vintage in your cellar?). Not only is this a cool grape, but the production method is unique. This is made the ancient way, in massive clay qvevris buried underground. The wine itself was amazing, bursting with powerful black fruits and pepper, tobacco… all my favorite things about Syrah at a fraction of the price. On New Year’s Eve, after we polished off a magnum of Palmaz I opened this as an experiment and guess what, it was still pretty good by comparison which is saying a lot when you go from a $200 wine to a $20 wine. Even more impressive, we pumped the half-finished bottle and discovered it two weeks later in the back of the fridge and it was fantastic. Mocha notes emerged and softer blackberry fruit notes. As we speak, I have a bottle of this decanting for non-wine snob friends who are coming over for dinner. They will love it. Plus I get to tell them it’s amazing history. Word of warning, I tried a couple other winemaker’s Saperavi and was disappointed. I think quality and standards vary GREATLY over there.
A bit about their qvevri winemaking technique: Vinoterra - Georgian Wine House | Georgian Wine Importers
(Wine drank: Vinoterra Saperavi, Wine & Spirits gave this 90 points, which I didn’t know until I just googled it for this thread, but I’d go 91 points)

Grolleau: Red. Lovely purplish color and spry fruity nose, but tasted a bit tart and funky at first. The next day it grew less tart but also lost it’s fruity nose. Drank a bit like a Mollard or young Gamay in that it is freshest and fruitiest at the outset which tempts one to drink it while it’s lively, but then that off-putting tartness and funk has to be something you like.

(Wine drank: Pithon-Paillé Grololo)

Okay, I included some of my ‘winners’ so here was a big ‘loser’ in my experiments…

Listan Negro: Red grape grown in black volcanic pits in the Canary Islands, this one smelt like hot asphalt and tasted horrendous and sulphurous upon opening. Everyone who tried it found it completely unapproachable. Considered the copper penny trick but instead I wanted to see what happened if we left it for a ay or two. Some of that aroma and flavor did lessen, and under was tart red fruit and a core of black mineral – but it was still unpleasant enough to drink that we never made it through the bottle.
(Wine drank: Bodega Los Bermejos red)

(Apologies if an old thread already addresses this. I searched and didn’t see one.)

So which unusual grape varieties have you tried? Which do you want to try?

Varietal or variety?

The title should say varieties. Thanks! But I do mean varietal wines made of mainly the variety in question, preferably 100% that variety.

Lots of obscure varieties listed on the apps. And kind of fun. (No affiliation.)

http://www.winecentury.com

Teasing. If we can talk tissue paper we can talk anything :slight_smile:

I love this! I am downloading the app as I type this.

Okay, I have to disagree with them allowing you to check a box if you have only tried it in a blend with other grapes. I have drank my share of wines with 3% Petit Verdot in it but couldn’t tell you what Petit Verdot tastes like on it’s own. No clue. lol.

I am sticking to ones I have had as a 100% expression of the grape.

#myownstandards

Reading Ian d’Agata’s “Native wine grapes of Italy” certainly gives me a good prompt (and good information) to pursue some of the lesser seen grapes used in Italy. However focusing on grape varieties I’ve tasted wine from, but want to pursue more:

• Nosiola (dry, sweet & distilled all have enthused me)
  • Fumin
  • Baga (not exactly rare, but not commonly seen. Good at producing wines a world away from rich, bigger is better wines)
  • Vespolina (try not to compare it to Nebbiolo - that comparison is a tough one)
  • Timorasso (a white wine that can succeed like a red at the dining table, but watch the alc%)
  • Cabernet Franc (this is a proper cheat - hardly ‘unusual’ but it took me a long time to realise how much I like it)
  • Erbaluce
  • Refosco dal Peduncolo Rosso
  • Ramisco (Colares)
  • Mencia
  • Pelaverga
  • Freisa
  • Durif (again not uncommon, but interesting in hot climates)
  • Franconia (an interesting aged bottle, makes me keen to try another)
  • Trousseau (didn’t expect to like this, but the one I tried was a charmer)

We made Fiano for a few years at Harrington Wines, from two vineyard sources. Unfortunately one of the vineyards was pulled out for a new housing development, and the fruit got too expensive from the other site. I’ve had several other California versions and a number of Italian ones. Good variety, and I’ve seen more of it planted in California in recent years.

I’ve also tried a number of Listan Negro wines, not all of them 100% varietal though. They can be nice but I’ve had some bretty ones, and sounds like you had one with a bad sulfide or mercaptan problem. We make a wine at Harrington from another Canary Islands grape, Listan Prieto, better known as Pais in Chile and Mission in California (and as far as I know unrelated to Listan Negro despite the similar name). We actually had a big informal tasting of Listan Negro, Pais, and Mission wines about a year ago.

I’ve tried a couple of Saperavi wines - agree that it can be really interesting if the wine is fairly clean…not always the case with those Georgian qvevri wines. I know I’ve tried at least one Grolleau but I don’t recall anything specific so it must not have made much of an impression on me. Don’t think I’ve ever had a Petite Arvine.

have had all the Saperavi i ever care to have, and enough Blauer Wildbacher to gag a maggot…

Mencia has a lasting appeal in the same way that Blaufränkisch and Cabernet Franc do…

there was once a CA winery with a monovarietal Petit Verdot, not horrible but not remarkable.
Winemaker was a guitarist, but i forget the names.

favourite rarity is Roter Veltliner, especially in the capable hands of Rudi Pichler in the Wachau.

You could try a new varietal daily in Italy and not try them all for several years.

I haven’t tried most of the ones you listed, Ian. I do recall that mencia needed lots of air. Same with durif (which is just another name for petite sirah, isn’t it? or has that been disproven now). I didn’t think I’d like Trousseau and IIRC I was correct. lol. I know I tried Pelaverga but for the life of me have no remembrance of what it tasted like – oh well, I guess I’ll have to buy another bottle and try again!

Wow, I love your adventurous spirit, Ken! Lots of fun varietals there! I’ll look on wine-wearcher for Listan Prieto and see if any bottles local to Los Angeles pop up! (Also, will check out Harrison website to see if there is some local retailer carrying your juice for a try!)

That tasting you rans sound like it was a lot of fun. And you’re accurate on the Grolleau. Forgettable, but fun. Maybe that’s why the wine is called Grololo (slang for breasts), because it’s sort of a simple one night stand, not a wine you’d marry.

RE: Petite Arvince, I read that some makers versions of it are downright unpleasant, so if you try it, source a good winemaker’s stuff.

Never heard of Blauer Wildbacher. Did you have a bad experience with Saperavi, or just stationed somewhere where you couldn’t escape the stuff?

Would love to try that Petit Verdot! Just like when I saw Curtis Winery (RIP) had a 100% Mourvedre a few years back. I love trying 100% varietals made from super common blending grapes. I googled “winemaker” and “plays guitar” and got everyone in California as a result. lol. A web search for california “100% petit verdot” shows Heitz, Jeff Runquist and Trinchero all had one though.

I have never heard of Roter Veltliner. Related to Gruner? YOu can bet I’m gonna find a way to locate a bottle, since it left an impression on you!

Lots of good varieties in Portugal.
Arinto
Encruzado
Trincadera
Viosihno
Rabigato

Thomas Coyne used to make an Early Burgundy/Abouriou that was similar to a Petite Sirah, I have a couple bottles left still, I think the grapes were from Lodi area. La Balle d’Argent was its fanciful name.

I am now pretty much focused on Mourvedre and Carignan, with the occasional Alicante Bouschet (Carlisle and Papagni, as well as inexpensive Portuguese labels) and Zinfandel/field blends thrown in there for good measure.

I strongly encourage adventurous minds to seek out the California wines from Harrington, as Ken recommends. Great wines!

I have a bottle of 2012 Abouriou from the now-defunct Thomas Coyne Winery that I should pop soon.

Let’s not forget the upcoming Green Hungarian from Sandlands
14718584_674155769425535_386557098273538048_n.jpg

Teroldego
Schiava
Monduese Noir
Godello
Gaglioppo

Interesting. Writeups on the grape say it’s low acid high tannin. I could see where the finish is like P.S.

What aromas/flavors do you encounter? Is it as big and rambunctious as a PS?

have had Saperavi sweet, medium dry, dry – all from formerly Soviet Georgia – and just do not love the stuff.

Blauer Wildbacher is the native snort in the Austrian growing region Weststeiermark, where they make a throat-ripper rosé called Schilcher from it. Not as lethal as it used to be…

Roter Veltliner :
Parentage: Selected from several varieties: Weißroter, Brauner, Silberweißer Veltliner and Gelbling. Roter Veltliner is actually the original variety of the Veltliner group. As an autochthonous variety, it holds a special position amongst the Veltliners as a natural crossing partner for Neuburger, Zierfandler and Rotgipfler.

Vineyard area: 193 ha, 0.4 %. It grows in limited areas of Niederösterreich, especially in Wagram, Kamptal and Kremstal, and occasionally in the Weinviertel and Wien (Vienna). Between 1999 and 2009, its representation in vineyards decreased by 24.9 %.

Important ampelographic features
Leaf: large, five lobes, deeply sinuated
Grape cluster: medium to large with very compact berries; conical conical with grapes coloured from greenish-yellow to flesh-red; thick skinned; uneven ripening.

Ripening time: late

Importance, conditions: Losing importance because the sites needed are extremely good for the Grüner Veltliner. The variety needs early warming sites with deep loess soils. During flowering, it is extremely sensitive to winter and late frosts. It is also very prone to Botrytis and peronospora. Overall, it does not have easy varietal characteristics, and this limits its growth.

Wine: Roter Veltliner is a high yielding variety, which is why yield limitation is necessary for achieving high quality versions. Then very characteristic and elegant, extract-rich wines with fine aromatics and enormous ageing potential can be created. Without yield regulation, the wines are somewhat thin and simple.

Korbin Kameron makes a lovely Petit Verdot.