TN: 2010 Stony Hill - Chardonnay (USA, California, Napa Valley)

2010 Stony Hill Chardonnay - USA, California, Napa Valley (2/4/2017)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over 3 hours –

NOSE: odd and very off-putting note of baby poop — the intensity of this did decrease over the course of the 3 hours, but it never completely went away; lots of mineral; typical Chard. aromas.

BODY: medium-light bodied.

TASTE: medium+ to high acidity; 13% alc. not noticeable; loads of mineral, especially on the finish, which is long and of medium to medium-strong intensity; very Chablis-like, for a CA Chard.; tastes young (which it is); Drink or continue to Hold. gut impression score: 90 - 91.

Hmmm… no offense intended Brian, but if I had noted “NOSE: odd and very off-putting note of baby poop — the intensity of this did decrease over the course of the 3 hours, but it never completely went away” on a wine with everything else being in order, I’d still probably rate it less than 80. That doesn’t sound like something I’d like. MAYBE knowing the pedigree and age worthiness of Stony Hill would have bumped it up a little more, but not to a 90-91.

Now this is just my assessment not having tasted the wine and just reading your note. If I actually tasted it maybe I’d find it better than it sounds…

No offense taken, Greg, and I understand where you’re coming from. That aspect of the aromatics was quite noticeable, but it didn’t ruin the experience for me (especially because the intensity decreased over time). If I had to do a detailed score from memory, it would probably work out like this: 50, 5, 10, 17, 7 = 89. So perhaps I was a touch generous with my gut impression score, but I was in the ballpark — a very generous ballpark from your POV. [cheers.gif]

So the baby shit isn’t a flaw? It’s actually intended aromatics?

Well … that I don’t know. That was the Million Dollar Question that my wife and I were debating over dinner.

I barely have any knowledge re: the chemistry of wine, so I can only hazard some guesses: sulfur; reduction; bacterial something or other … I don’t know.

If it hadn’t blown off at all I would have been more inclined to downgrade more aggressively (as I find it impossible to believe this was an intended aspect of the bouquet); as it was, however, I wonder if the most likely explanation is that it simply needs some air if opening now.

At the obvious risk of venturing far into TMI land, I will say it didn’t smell like straight-up poop. Rather, a very distinct mustardy/soymilk/creamy baby poop. Sorry … I have an infant/toddler right now, so this stuff is in my recent memory.

So do I. So it’s not as offensive. More mild infant poop vs toddler.

If my wife picked up a glass and smelled baby shit, She would’ve instinctively handed it to me :wink:

definitely of the mild infant variety, Mark. … and accept my condolences if that’s your wife’s natural reaction! [wow.gif]

Clearly a flaw…probably H2S (Hydrogen Sulfide)…could also be Ethyl Mercaptan or DMS (Dimethyl Sulfide) but both of these seem to me more vegetal/canned peas/corn than baby poop)…

there is a good guide to wine flaws here Fermentation Sciences Program | Department of Chemistry and Fermentation Sciences and Jamie Goode’s site as well here mercaptans and other volatile sulfur compounds in wine

Thanks, Cameron. Great resources! [cheers.gif]

based on the “Sensory” column in the first link, I’d cast a vote for Ethyl Mercaptan.

2010 Stony Hill Chardonnay - USA, California, Napa Valley (9/1/2021)
– crumbly cork pulled about 15 min. before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over 5 hours on Day 1; revisited on Day 2 –

NOSE: initially quite tight; hint of papaya; very little going on, even at the 5 hour mark. Day 2: showier, but not drastically-so.

BODY: rich, golden yellow color; medium-full bodied.

TASTE: light pineapple; strong, slightly smoky, mineral; 13.0% alc. not noticeable; lightly grassy; still pretty light 2 hours in; a touch more giving at the 4.25 hrs. mark; Hold? Day 2: still light on the palate.

Day 1 score: 50, 5, 10, 15, 6 = 86

On account of marginal, but noticeable, improvements on Day 2, I’m bumping my score up from 86 to 87. (87 pts.)