Abreu Open

2012 Thorevilos & others !

Big fan of these wines but I never see them get any play on this board which make sense. I feel there are less and less Napa cab discussions here, but rather far more multi-page threads on other varietals, regions etc, which is fine. This board should represents the majority of active participants. I’m not being critical, rather just a trend I’ve noticed.

Back to Abreu… stellar wines. Had the 12 Las Posadas at Staglin Charity event last year and it was a showstopper, beating the rest of the typical Cult wines there easily.

I would speculate that most all producers (regardless of region) who charge $350 or more for their wines aren’t going to garner multipage threads here. Just not enough people interested in paying the tariff, thus less commentary.

Maybe you are right, but I see more threads about $300+ Burgundy than $300+ Cabs.

Yeah Abreu is not in favor these days. Doesn’t matter the scores, if there are Cabs of equal quality for one third the price then the QPR is poor!

This…summed up perfect. To add not everyone is a baller who has the kind of simple discretionary income for that level of wine, some (and not playing a violin) scrape by to try wines in the 50-80 dollar range.

I picked up a couple of bottles. My favorite Abreu is always the Thorevilos, and 2012 is an excellent vintage. The Howell Mountain is usually pretty good too.
That said, I am a not really comfortable with the $425 price tag, and it is always a hard decision at that price.

Hadn’t realized where the pricing had gone (I was on the list from 1994 to 2005). Is it $425 plus tax and shipping? Excellent wines but at that pricing level quite a challenge when so many prior excellent vintages can be had for less.

Again, here is a case where you can get past vintages with some age on them and of equal quality on the secondary market for about the cost of this new release. Of course, providence is always a concern, but that aside it’s a no brainer to buy something ready to drink rather than something that isn’t.