Wines You Love That Others Just Don't Get

Top of my list would be Grenache.
I always feel that I have to explain why a particular bottle is so good. Only to get a blank stare back.

I generally lean to the AFWE side but love Priorat.

Always floors me when people write off the region as a whole. There are of course wines I don’t like but I find most of them balanced for their size.

Grenache and older Shiraz.

I love pinot blanc and it just doesn’t get the adulation it deserves.

I like viognier, too.

If it’s not a chardonnay based wine, oenophiles, in general, fail to offer proper regard.

The critics do this, thinking that a given white grape can’t taste like Screaming Eagle cab, so their random number rating system cuts off at a lower number for whites.

Has there ever been a 100 point sauvignon blanc, pinot blanc, or viognier??

Once upon a time, Giacosa. Now I wish I’d kept my damn mouth shut!

Who is gonna say Caymus? Come on someone get the guts… while I am waiting I will say I love Mourvèdre wines or Grenache wines and some people I tell that too are just not into those grapes by themselves always have to be blended apparently

Alsace Riesling, I know it isn’t German but it’s what I really like.

OK I’ll say it, just about any good Grenache. Plus the occasional Caymus - really not bad.

Lambrusco

He sells out every year so clearly enough people “get it” but I am somewhat bewildered that Gideon’s wines at clos saron aren’t more widely recognized as some of the best in the state. Also I’d argue that the world’s greatest wines are German late harvest reislings but I doubt I’d fine many people to agree with me.

Very good.

Nouveau or red Vino Verde.

Most wines from Scholium.

As to Grenache, are you people nuts? Most people I know get it.

Jay, I love you man.

Love grenache! SQN, Herman Story, Alban, Carlisle and blends by Alta Colina, Dilecta, etc… all good.

Not many people I know really “get” the wines of R. López de Heredia.

I still often get asked what is in the blend I am pouring called ‘grenache’ . . . [wow.gif] [wow.gif] [wow.gif]

Gewurztraminer

Savennieres I just love them especially in the summer. Crisp and acidic!

Anton,

Are we talking domestic Pinot Blancs? Never had one that did much for me. Have had a few from Alscace and Germany that were pretty good - but don’t go out of my way to search for them.

Viognier is a challenging grape in so many ways. It tends to ripen so easily and drop acid, and so what you are left with is something so fat and rich that it screams ‘serve me cold and probably with dessert’. There are certainly are exceptions, but count me in the camp that prefers something else.

Plenty of high flying sauv blancs - not sure about any 100 pointers though.

Cheers!