2014 Colgin IX offering

2014 Colgin IX Estate offering out now at $450/bottle, and 2014 IX Estate Syrah out at $250/bottle. Thoughts? I have bought in the past, but still…ouch on the pricing.

Not familiar with Colgin from a tasting standpoint, and have heard good things, but that price point is steep for sure.

Have you looked at Nine Suns? Right around the way from Colgin up on Pritchard Hill, and the winemaker, Sam Kaplan (also at Arkenstone and Memento Mori) is making great juice there. Have had the 2012 and the 2013 is amazing, for $250/bottle.

Could be a good alternative, especially from a QPR standpoint

$250 for a Napa syrah . . . wow . . .

Not saying it’s not a good wine, but . . . wow . . .

Are those prices correct? I thought the '13 IX Estate was $575 and the '13 Syrah was $300.

Quite a price drop if true.

lesson here is Colgin is a luxury brand and priced and purchased accordingly…there’s no way for a discerning wine buyer to get their head around the pricing…one Colgin syrah or two Allemand? that’s a tough one…jeez, just glad those folks are happy with Colgin so they stay away from Allemand!

Had a 2007 Colgin 2 weeks ago, and it was spectacular… in a slutty/yummy/cali cab way.

I can never afford that price level, but damn it was good…

I paid 450 for the 2013 IX Estate and Cariad…Didn’t get the Syrah last year. I’m not sure where you saw the higher price.

I bought the 2006 and 2007 Estate. I have opened one of each. They are outstanding, but I would not pay $450.

Wine Advocate listed those prices as the release prices.

$250 Syrah that isn’t a Lala or Chave Hermitage. Aspirational pricing, but they’ll probably still sell a ton

The price is the same as last year.
$450 Cab…$250 syrah
I have been buying since 2004. The wines are truly outstanding.
The only way to rationalize is to compare to the 1st growths.
Schrader is 1/2 the price @$225.

It is funny to say this about a $225 wine, but Schrader is a bargain compared to other Napa heavyweights like Harlan, Bond, Colgin, etc.

For that $450 price point, I’d rather take a Futo Oakville at $350 or Hundred Acre Ark Vineyard or Few and Far Between at $350-400, and have a couple bucks left over to buy some Zalto’s to drink it in…

That’s one of the things I love about this forum…Get such great ideas for other wines to try.

Still, I’ll probably spring for the Colgin again this year. Perhaps I can sell an old Screagle to finance it. :wink:

Why spend $450 on a new release when you can backfill for half the price? I’d rather have 3 MACDONALD for the price of one 1 Colgin. Mic Drop Out.

Great wine. I have bought in a few years but when i open an older one out of cellar i question decision

I haven’t purchased any Colgin in over a decade, just received the offer today. What does that say about sales?