Wine color -- interesting to you?

I guess I’m curious about the reasons behind noting the color of a wine in a tasting note. Or, I suppose, why color is something to notice at all.

I’m specifically wondering about noticing the actual color, not opacity of a wine, although this is also potentially interesting, too.

I’ve read tasting notes about Riesling that mention “green tinged.” Countless notes wax poetic about the sanguine color of bottles of CS.

Why? It kind of feels like noting “legs” to me.

In red wines it can be a reflection of acidity. Red wines tend to be more acidic than purple/magenta wines.

Not sure about green tinges in white wine though.

+1

Color by itself doesn’t tell you much. With reds, it has to do with how much of the anthocyanins and other pigments are available and extracted. Depending on pH, it can be tend more to the blue or red spectrum, so to some degree can relate to acidity, but that’s not all there is to it.

The pigment availability has a lot to do with it - some grapes just have more than others. And, just like anything else, availability doesn’t mean it shows up in the wine because sometimes, depending on the grape, it’s just not as easy to extract. One of the reasons they add Viognier to Syrah in France is to stabilize and intensify the color.

Something like Barbera can be both dark and have lots of acidity, whereas something like Zin may have less color and less acidity. And of course, it depends on where it’s grown and how it’s vinified.

Although on its own the color of a wine doesn’t tell you much, if you have a deep, dark, thick Nebbiolo, that tells you something, and if you have a light, transparent Petite Sirah, that tells you something.

And bricking rims may indicate that the wine is older than a wine with bright purple rims.

But I’ve been way off when trying to guess a wine’s age, sometimes by decades.

So unless you know a wine/grape/region/producer, most of the time it’s pointless information to talk about the color of a red. A deeply colored wine can be anything.

With whites, it’s a little different and in some cases, easier since if you have a brown wine, and it’s young, it’s a good bet it’s oxidized.

Many grapes can produce wine with green tinges. When they are more to the gold/amber range, you might guess there’s some oak. It’s not always obvious though - Manzanilla can be pretty light.

+1

I like a short description of color, as well as the cork and fill condition, in notes regarding older wines. And if the sediments (partly from decayed color pigments) are special, please note that too.

The color can be manipulated, I understand, and nowadays I care less for the color descriptions on fresh modern wines, or from barrel tastings. “They are all more or less the same dark purple dense liquid.” [wink.gif]

Even though it’s not always true, a clear red color means red fruited (maybe mature), -and a dark opaque purple, spells primary black currant and blackberries (may need more time). At least it’s more often like this, than the other way round.

I enjoy looking in My glass, especially if it holds a very old wine with a still bright and clear ruby red color. -It would be a shame to sip it in complete darkness. But maybe it would intensify the pure taste, -I haven’t tried.

-Søren.

As already noted, for me – color in red wines can help denote age … also with reds, transparency in color also gives a nod to the weight/mouthfeel of the wine, and with whites and roses (and obviously reds) it can hint toward length of skin contact. but honestly, I enjoy the full sensory experience you get from wine – and that includes sight. I’ve found my excitement for that wine grows if I’m swirling around something that’s pretty or say, the color is unique to what that variety typically projects.

I’m aware of the wine’s color, but don’t pay much attention beyond that unless it looks wrong (e.g. too dark for a white Burguncy, etc.); I think attaching a numerical score to the color is a bit silly.

The decline or loss/absence of the ability to taste or smell will certainly affect your wine appreciation, but I’m fairly comfortable saying that a blind person could enjoy the hell out of a wine.

I think attaching a numerical score to the color is a bit silly.

??

I guess I haven’t seen that but what a great idea! Get those points up! Next they’ll award points for the liquidity of the wine.

[/quote]I guess I haven’t seen that but what a great idea! Get those points up! Next they’ll award points for the liquidity of the wine.[/quote]

Liquidity meaning how easy it is to re-sell? ; )

This.

Great post.

Yup, good post. I drink a fair amount of white wine so always interested in the color and tend to note in my TN. If it has some green tones, I mention it. If it is watery, I will reflect on the taste as opposed to the color.
Some young Loire Chenin Blanc can have an advanced light gold color, that is of real interest and have yet to figure that out!!

I agree with the OP on legs, I find it the most over commented on characteristic. I don’t find it very helpful.

I do find color interesting and comment on it in notes. I drink a fair amount of aged wines and it can be helpful to see if yours is showing similar to others (or vice versa).

For instance, a lot of 2004 Red Burgundies show a characteristic brownish color and when you see that you also tend to notice they seem to be advanced beyond their years (among other things).

Good post by GregT.

I suppose you’re one of these ‘look down’ people, (like the fish named that and referring to someone constantly looking down at their phone screen), one that never notices a sunrise/sunset, the colors of the ocean or the night sky, or the flowers of the field or the hues of ice in a glacier.

Pity.

If you were blind I could see not caring, but we should rejoice with the senses we have.

You haven’t seen those asinine 46 + 5 + 14 + 17 + 8 = 90 pts or whatever the f— it is ratings? That system gives up to 5 points for color/appearance. Idiotic. Color/appearance is interesting, but it’s not ultimately, in itself, a factor in quality. An unusually light Pinot Noir that’s lovely, complex, has great length, etc. shouldn’t be marked down for being light. A wine with a little haze from not being fined or filtered shouldn’t be marked down for it. It might be more complex or flawed because of that winemaking choice, which is what it should be judged on.

The other side of this coin is this superficial obsession with optics can dictate winemaking compromises. We should enjoy how a wine looks, but not get caught up in how we think it should look.

What Wes said. Truchot’s wines were a revelation for me, that so much quality could be contained in such pale red wines.

I like brilliant ruby (and sunsets) as much as the next guy, but wine is a beverage, after all.

I care less about color than I do about what the winemakers favorite backstreet boy is…

I get the reasons people care, but if I’m looking at it, I’m going to taste it anyways… and I’m not going to buy the wine or not based off of visual descriptors…

I don’t think there is any color that is “better”, but I definitely note it. I just have found wines I love that cover pretty much the whole spectrum. I don’t get downgrading a wine for not being limpid, some of the best wines I have ever had have had a touch of turbidity to them.

Where color should definitely be noted… blue wines