Sorry, but you didn't buy that corked bottle from us!

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Paul Luckin

#101 Post by Paul Luckin » February 20th, 2017, 5:12 pm

Mike Evans wrote:
Paul Luckin wrote:just to take up for the Tasting Room Manager for a minute:

it makes perfect sense that the winery didn't have a record of the sale, since the actual transaction didn't take place at a POS or even through the back end of the website. if the winemaker is not the principal, and the winery has a policy of only refunding, replacing, or exchanging bad bottles when there is a paper trail, then he (or she) is doing right by the winery by following the procedure in place.

now, having said all that, i'm of the mind that in customer service it's "Better to be kind, than to be right" so i think Brian should be made whole on that bottle one way or another. but the TRM did act appropriately if the winery's policy is as such.

i'm probably in the minority opinion on this, so flame away.
Paul, it may be right that it is the winery's policy, in which case the winery and not the tasting room manager is the proper target for derision and scorn for adopting an inexcusable policy. The winery released a defective product and should be responsible for replacing it.
agreed.
\m/ >_< \m/

ITB once again

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#102 Post by Brian Tuite » February 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Here's a related story. About 6 years ago an American tool company which I am sure most of you have heard of, S&K Tools, went bankrupt and was bought out of bankruptcy by another comapny. They restructured SK Tools and relaunched it a couple years later. Their policy is to not honor the lifetime warranty of any SKTool sold before the bankruptcy. Due to that policy change they lost me as a distributor and thousands of people as customers.

The winery in question in this thread was sold and the winemaker has a library of wines that he amassed before the winery changed hands that were not a part of the sale. There is no underhanded dealing or trickery going on here. AFAIAC the TRM in several notches below the winemaker in importance to the winery. The winery would not be the same without this winemaker and hospitality personnel come and go often. I have bought a lot of wine from the mailing list and have also reloaded, from WineBid and other sources, bottles that I enjoyed but could no longer buy direct. This deal with the winemaker was one of those reloads of vintages released before I was a list member. The treatment I got from the TRM guaranteed my never buying direct again. In the future I will only buy where I see a value play or not at all. In my opinion companies who do not stand behind their product do not deserve my business. My customers would never accept it from me either. I see the value in this. Obviously this fellow does not.

I'm sure the winemaker in this case will do the right thing.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

NoahR
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by NoahR » February 20th, 2017, 5:39 pm

If I could figure out how to get that eating popcorn image to show when I'm posting from my phone, I would. Suspense killing me now
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#104 Post by Brian Tuite » February 20th, 2017, 5:50 pm

NoahR wrote:If I could figure out how to get that eating popcorn image to show when I'm posting from my phone, I would. Suspense killing me now
Type --> popcorn.gif
Then put it between these brackets --> []

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

2020 WOTY Candidates

Paul Luckin

#105 Post by Paul Luckin » February 20th, 2017, 6:06 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:Here's a related story. About 6 years ago an American tool company which I am sure most of you have heard of, S&K Tools, went bankrupt and was bought out of bankruptcy by another comapny. They restructured SK Tools and relaunched it a couple years later. Their policy is to not honor the lifetime warranty of any SKTool sold before the bankruptcy. Due to that policy change they lost me as a distributor and thousands of people as customers.

The winery in question in this thread was sold and the winemaker has a library of wines that he amassed before the winery changed hands that were not a part of the sale. There is no underhanded dealing or trickery going on here. AFAIAC the TRM in several notches below the winemaker in importance to the winery. The winery would not be the same without this winemaker and hospitality personnel come and go often. I have bought a lot of wine from the mailing list and have also reloaded, from WineBid and other sources, bottles that I enjoyed but could no longer buy direct. This deal with the winemaker was one of those reloads of vintages released before I was a list member. The treatment I got from the TRM guaranteed my never buying direct again. In the future I will only buy where I see a value play or not at all. In my opinion companies who do not stand behind their product do not deserve my business. My customers would never accept it from me either. I see the value in this. Obviously this fellow does not.

I'm sure the winemaker in this case will do the right thing.
hey Brian, a question:

with regard to the actions and correspondence with the TRM, were you more disappointed with the message (i.e. "Sorry Charlie") or the way in which it was delivered?
\m/ >_< \m/

ITB once again

Mike Sale

#106 Post by Mike Sale » February 20th, 2017, 6:16 pm

Oh man, I cannot *wait* to find out who it is!

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#107 Post by Michael Martin » February 20th, 2017, 6:41 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
NoahR wrote:If I could figure out how to get that eating popcorn image to show when I'm posting from my phone, I would. Suspense killing me now
Type --> popcorn.gif
Or just click on the emoji

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#108 Post by Brian Tuite » February 20th, 2017, 6:44 pm

Paul Luckin wrote:
hey Brian, a question:

with regard to the actions and correspondence with the TRM, were you more disappointed with the message (i.e. "Sorry Charlie") or the way in which it was delivered?
Good question Paul. The business man in me as well as the customer in me were upset with the poor customer service. I strive to always do right by my customer, even when they are wrong.

2020 WOTY Candidates

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#109 Post by Brian Tuite » February 20th, 2017, 6:45 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
Brian Tuite wrote:
Type --> popcorn.gif
Or just click on the emoji
You can't do that on the mobile version of WB.

2020 WOTY Candidates

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#110 Post by Michael Martin » February 20th, 2017, 6:48 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
Michael Martin wrote:
Hmmm, does for me. [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif]

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#111 Post by Brian Tuite » February 20th, 2017, 7:02 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
Brian Tuite wrote:
Michael Martin wrote:
Hmmm, does for me. [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif]
Could you please point it out for me.
IMG_5261.PNG

2020 WOTY Candidates

Ian Sutton

#112 Post by Ian Sutton » February 21st, 2017, 3:30 am

Eric LaMasters wrote:I guess I'm in the minority here, but I tend to think of the risk of a corked bottle as just part of buying wine. While it is great if a winery replaces a bottle, I would never expect it - especially if I did not buy it directly from the winery.
Hi Eric
That is effectively where I end up, figuring going back to a retailer 5-10 years after purchase, without a receipt, and if purchased via the internet, with a significant logistical barrier for resolution.... is it really worth it?

I have been better in recent times though, of putting the retailer in CT, and also of keeping invoices. So if I felt strongly (or in the case of Aldo Conterno Barolos from 1997 & 1998 where there was a consistent fault) I feel better equipped to take it up.

For those that do return bottles (as we all should IMO - recognising I'm not practicing what I preach!), I do expect wineries / retailers to take it seriously. Those that replace with museum stock to get the same vintage get extra respect. Those that just say 'latest vintage' and no recognition of cellaring costs get less respect. In addition I understand the gripes of people offered a weak current vintage as replacement for a sought after vintage they'd cellared carefully for years.

regards
Ian
Normal for Norfolk

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#113 Post by Jay Miller » February 21st, 2017, 6:20 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
Michael Martin wrote: Hmmm, does for me. [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif]
IMG_5261.PNG
Try going to preview first. Sometimes that allows me the full range of emojis.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#114 Post by Brian Tuite » February 21st, 2017, 7:10 am

Jay Miller wrote:
Brian Tuite wrote:
Michael Martin wrote: Hmmm, does for me. [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif]
The attachment IMG_5261.PNG is no longer available
Try going to preview first. Sometimes that allows me the full range of emojis.
IMG_5262.PNG

2020 WOTY Candidates

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#115 Post by Michael Martin » February 21st, 2017, 7:46 am

I have the full browser view on my iPad so that's the difference. Carry on.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#116 Post by Brian Tuite » February 21st, 2017, 8:00 am

Michael Martin wrote:I have the full browser view on my iPad so that's the difference. Carry on.
Noah R wrote:If I could figure out how to get that eating popcorn image to show when I'm posting from my phone, I would. Suspense killing me now
[cheers.gif]

2020 WOTY Candidates

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#117 Post by Michael Martin » February 21st, 2017, 8:01 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
Michael Martin wrote:I have the full browser view on my iPad so that's the difference. Carry on.
Noah R wrote:If I could figure out how to get that eating popcorn image to show when I'm posting from my phone, I would. Suspense killing me now
[cheers.gif]

A thousand apologies from me. [smileyvault-ban.gif] newhere

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#118 Post by larry schaffer » February 21st, 2017, 8:15 am

Ian Sutton wrote:
Eric LaMasters wrote:I guess I'm in the minority here, but I tend to think of the risk of a corked bottle as just part of buying wine. While it is great if a winery replaces a bottle, I would never expect it - especially if I did not buy it directly from the winery.
Hi Eric
That is effectively where I end up, figuring going back to a retailer 5-10 years after purchase, without a receipt, and if purchased via the internet, with a significant logistical barrier for resolution.... is it really worth it?

I have been better in recent times though, of putting the retailer in CT, and also of keeping invoices. So if I felt strongly (or in the case of Aldo Conterno Barolos from 1997 & 1998 where there was a consistent fault) I feel better equipped to take it up.

For those that do return bottles (as we all should IMO - recognising I'm not practicing what I preach!), I do expect wineries / retailers to take it seriously. Those that replace with museum stock to get the same vintage get extra respect. Those that just say 'latest vintage' and no recognition of cellaring costs get less respect. In addition I understand the gripes of people offered a weak current vintage as replacement for a sought after vintage they'd cellared carefully for years.

regards
Ian
Ian,

Interesting points. Do you feel that most wineries normally have a good back stock of library wines? They probably should, but I don't believe most do.

I would not therefore feel disappointed if a past vintage were replaced with a current one. There is no way to account for the possibilities of returned bottles, especially years after initial release.

Perhaps if it's a really 'valuable' wine, a winery could offer more in return - but I'm not sure how 'practical' that is.

This wine business can get pretty tricky . . . newhere

Cheers!
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Ian Sutton

#119 Post by Ian Sutton » February 21st, 2017, 8:36 am

larry schaffer wrote:
Ian Sutton wrote:
Hi Eric

regards
Ian
Ian,

Interesting points. Do you feel that most wineries normally have a good back stock of library wines? They probably should, but I don't believe most do.

I would not therefore feel disappointed if a past vintage were replaced with a current one. There is no way to account for the possibilities of returned bottles, especially years after initial release.

Perhaps if it's a really 'valuable' wine, a winery could offer more in return - but I'm not sure how 'practical' that is.

This wine business can get pretty tricky . . . newhere

Cheers!
Hi Larry
Very few IMO would have a full back library, and even some grand ones have gaps - a friend has a wonderful anecdote of the time Ch. Petrus bought 2 bottles off him to fill in a gap they had! It's not everyday Ch Petrus phone you up to buy Petrus off you!

I would be surprised if someone at the winery wasn't collecting a vertical, and IMO it's good practice to learn from how each wine ages. That might just be the winemaker or owner for their private enjoyment. If they are in the habit of replacing with correct vintage, then a bad batch of cork could easily run them out of that vintage very quickly.

Most will treat this as a purely commercial deal - make wine, give it as limited ageing as you have to, and look to sell through wherever possible, though even these folk might hold back bottles of their top wine(s) for tastings / events. I've certainly been to some very much 'non-exclusive' tastings where back vintages have been shown.

Others make a point of holding back greater volumes, for planned museum releases (Borgogno, Tahbilk, Bests, etc.), often in the well-regarded 'vin de garde' vintages. In Borgogno and Bests' case, it shows the price differential between museum stock and current release - at least in their eyes.

I agree with you that it might not be feasible to replace with the same vintage, but recognition of that additional cellaring cost is sensible e.g. If a 1996 Grange were returned, and only current vintage were available, then replacing with current vintage and throwing a Bin389 would at least show understanding. A bad example though as current vintages have an RRP greater than secondary pricing of older wines!!!

regards
Ian
Normal for Norfolk

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#120 Post by larry schaffer » February 21st, 2017, 8:53 am

Ian,

I agree with all of your points - but the way our industry works and talks right now, there is no appreciation for cellar costs whatsoever. And unfortunately, in this county, there is no impetus for that to change at all. And that is being led by the non-action of most folks to return corked bottles, simply chocking it up to the way things are. And this is simply wrong IMHO.

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

AndrewH

#121 Post by AndrewH » February 21st, 2017, 9:32 am

Brian doesn't even seem to have reached the issue of what the compensation will be - the winery is denying any responsibility for the quality of its product . . . whether it can provide him a replacement of the same kind, versus some alternative, and whether that's "fair" is a secondary question it seems.
Andrew H e i m e r t

ncostanzo1
GCC Member
GCC Member

#122 Post by ncostanzo1 » February 21st, 2017, 10:43 am

I'm surprised nobody has even guessed as to the winery in question, I know there has to be some WB'ers out their sleuthing this more than I have! [winner.gif]
Nick

Clayton Wai-Poi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#123 Post by Clayton Wai-Poi » February 21st, 2017, 12:04 pm

it's pretty easy to guess, but given Brian's intent to keep it anonymous i'll keep my mouth shut.

Al R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#124 Post by Al R » February 21st, 2017, 12:11 pm

ncostanzo1 wrote:I'm surprised nobody has even guessed as to the winery in question, I know there has to be some WB'ers out their sleuthing this more than I have! [winner.gif]
Let's see, the hints are:

Winery recently changed ownership

Winemaker has been on vacation or away from the winery recently

Tasting Room Manager is a woman

URL is .....<something>wines.com
last name: arr eye ell ee why

NoahR
GCC Member
GCC Member

#125 Post by NoahR » February 21st, 2017, 12:26 pm

Al R wrote:
ncostanzo1 wrote:I'm surprised nobody has even guessed as to the winery in question, I know there has to be some WB'ers out their sleuthing this more than I have! [winner.gif]

Let's not Out the winery, please. I'm sure Brian can let them know in a more subtle way that they need to address their policy.
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

Al R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#126 Post by Al R » February 21st, 2017, 12:30 pm

NoahR wrote:Let's not Out the winery, please. I'm sure Brian can let them know in a more subtle way that they need to address their policy.
I don't think any of us owe the winery any loyalty at all. Brian is the one here whom we should respect. I get that he doesn't want the winery outed at this point, and I respect that. If outing the winery in some way caused Brian some trouble, that's a great reason not to out it.

If outing the winery would cause the winery some trouble, but wouldn't bother Brian, then I don't know why we should in any way feel protective of the winery.

Mike DiSalvo

#127 Post by Mike DiSalvo » February 21st, 2017, 12:51 pm

I purchased a magnum of Produttori Barbaresco Normale from Vinopolis and it was corked but never said anything to them. Maybe I should have, but they are on the other side of the country and I chalked it up to sometimes you win and sometimes you don't.
M!ke Di$alvo

ncostanzo1
GCC Member
GCC Member

#128 Post by ncostanzo1 » February 21st, 2017, 1:11 pm

Clayton Wai-Poi wrote:it's pretty easy to guess, but given Brian's intent to keep it anonymous i'll keep my mouth shut.
I'm also not going to speculate (though I guess I asked a question that would stir that, not my intention but I see where I may have offended Brian) either though I have a few in mind.
Nick

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#129 Post by Paul Miller » February 21st, 2017, 1:17 pm

I had a friend jump on my allocation one time, and one of the bottles he got was corked. It was some time later before I heard the story, but apparently he reached out to the winery and wanted his money back, or a new bottle, or something. Sounds like they exchanged words. Winery made him send the bottle and the cork, and then they tested it. Finally agreed with him, but did not have any more of what he ordered. I think he finally got a different vintage. Part of the arguing was that he did not buy it directly from them, but went through my allocation, although I don't think he divulged my name (he said he didn't, but I sometimes wonder).

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#130 Post by Brian Tuite » February 21st, 2017, 1:24 pm

I will neither confirm nor deny any guesses so they will remain just that, guesses.

The point of the thread was to discuss whether any of you have experienced similar situations. As for the ones in question simply supplying them with a link to this thread is all I would do. Hearing from representatives of your customer base anonymously should help stir conversation internally about whether the policy is fair or not.

2020 WOTY Candidates

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#131 Post by Kirk.Grant » February 21st, 2017, 1:27 pm

Mike DiSalvo wrote:I purchased a magnum of Produttori Barbaresco Normale from Vinopolis and it was corked but never said anything to them. Maybe I should have, but they are on the other side of the country and I chalked it up to sometimes you win and sometimes you don't.
I've always called them and asked them if they want me to mail the cork back. It's the cork that gets tested in my understanding...but if they offer a refund, I'll follow whatever policy they have. Some say no, some offer a credit, and some don't respond or delay until you go away. I've stopped buying from the last ones.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

ChrisU

#132 Post by ChrisU » February 21st, 2017, 1:42 pm

I know this isn't the case here, but consider another perspective. At the distribution company I worked for, we had an agreement with most wineries that we would take a small percentage off of our invoice to cover their portion of samples and any bad bottles. So if one of our retail/restaurant customers returned a bad bottle to us, it went no further. So a winery replacing a bottle that was purchased through the distribution channel would effectively be paying more than once for the same bad bottle. It's not always as simple as saying the winery is the source so they should replace. On the other hand, if I'm the winery and a customer comes directly to me, I'm making them whole. There's too many wineries to choose from and I could take it up with the distributor for an adjustment etc.
C. Ur$ini

GregT

#133 Post by GregT » February 21st, 2017, 10:08 pm

Those are smart wineries. I can't see taking it back to to a retailer that probably won't have a record of the purchase and may not be the retailer you bought it from anyway. Who even knows what's in the bottle you're trying to return. But if it's really a cork problem, the winery should want to know. They put a defective product into the stream of commerce and nobody will ever know until the customer opens the bottle.

I'm not even blaming the wineries, because they certainly don't want to get bad corks. But they need to be able to tell their suppliers that they received crap and the only way to help them do that is to let them know that a bottle was bad. I've never encountered a winery that didn't care. I have encountered retailers who received motor oil and all kinds of other horrid shit in bottles that people tried to return as "bad wine".
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

CWun
GCC Member
GCC Member

#134 Post by CWun » February 22nd, 2017, 7:35 am

Al R wrote:

i skimmed the thread quickly, but was it really noted that the TRM is a woman?
C@r_y

Al R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#135 Post by Al R » February 22nd, 2017, 7:44 am

CWun wrote:
Al R wrote:...

i skimmed the thread quickly, but was it really noted that the TRM is a woman?
Nope, you're right -- I either had had too much wine or had something else on my mind when I wrote that. For some reason I thought Brian said "she" when he described the situation, but looking back I see I just invented that.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#136 Post by David Glasser » February 22nd, 2017, 8:06 am

ChrisU wrote:I know this isn't the case here, but consider another perspective. At the distribution company I worked for, we had an agreement with most wineries that we would take a small percentage off of our invoice to cover their portion of samples and any bad bottles. So if one of our retail/restaurant customers returned a bad bottle to us, it went no further. So a winery replacing a bottle that was purchased through the distribution channel would effectively be paying more than once for the same bad bottle. It's not always as simple as saying the winery is the source so they should replace. On the other hand, if I'm the winery and a customer comes directly to me, I'm making them whole. There's too many wineries to choose from and I could take it up with the distributor for an adjustment etc.
Interesting, I hadn't considered that possibility. In my limited (2 bottles) experience, I've had better luck returning corked bottles to the winery than to the retailer. These were US wines and had been purchased years prior to opening. In one case I wasn't even sure where I'd purchased the bottle.

Edward H. Earles

#137 Post by Edward H. Earles » February 22nd, 2017, 8:13 am

Brian Tuite wrote:

I once had a corked bottle of Lagier Meredith Syrah that I purchased from Wine Bid. When we did the recap for the evening one of the guests mentioned the corked bottle on WB in his notes. Carole jumped in and offered to replace it. I told her I bought it from Wine Bid but she insisted on giving me a matching vintage replacement. I've had other wineries send me unsolicited replacements when they read a note of mine online. Cabot and Bedrock off the top of my head.
Nick Peay did the same for me, and I didn't even claim the wine was corked!...Just with less flavor than I'd expected.

Some businesspeople understand customer relations, and some don't.

And by the way, I didn't purchase the bottle from the winery, it was from a wine bar in Charleston. Nick just read my CT tasting note and took it upon himself to hunt me up.

Another good example of customer service: One bottle in one of my Nicora orders had no label. I contacted Nick Elliott, just wanting to know which wine it was. He sent me a replacement bottle gratis even though I didn't ask for another one.

In my experience the vast majority of winemakers want to keep their customers happy and will go to great lengths to do so. In an age with few true craftsmen, they take old-fashioned pride in their work, and stand behind it. So now I, too, am anxious to find out which winery won't stand behind its wine. [popcorn.gif]

Bryan Carr

#138 Post by Bryan Carr » February 22nd, 2017, 12:20 pm

Similarly, I was talking with John Westerhold and lamented that I had pobega'd a bottle of his pinot right out of the shipping crate and that it seemed like it was a little "asleep" from transport and he comped me a new bottle without me even asking, my next shipment from him just came with one with a note attached.
CT: the_lovenest

Richard Leland

#139 Post by Richard Leland » February 22nd, 2017, 1:34 pm

Edward H. Earles wrote:So now I, too, am anxious to find out which winery won't stand behind its wine.
That's a bit of a leap. The fault is more likely to be with a poorly-trained Tasting Room Manager.
Richard

Edward H. Earles

#140 Post by Edward H. Earles » February 22nd, 2017, 2:29 pm

Richard Leland wrote:
Edward H. Earles wrote:So now I, too, am anxious to find out which winery won't stand behind its wine.
That's a bit of a leap. The fault is more likely to be with a poorly-trained Tasting Room Manager.
I stand corrected. I am anxious to find out which winery does not properly train its staff. neener

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#141 Post by Brian Tuite » February 24th, 2017, 3:53 pm

The winemaker replaced the bottle.

Buuuuuuuut, he also confirmed that the company policy is to not replace a bottle that was not purchased directly from the winery. He said that since I bought it from his personal cellar that it was not backed by the winery but by him. I find that extremely odd.

Case closed.

2020 WOTY Candidates

andy velebil

#142 Post by andy velebil » February 24th, 2017, 3:57 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:The winemaker replaced the bottle.

Buuuuuuuut, he also confirmed that the company policy is to not replace a bottle that was not purchased directly from the winery. He said that since I bought it from his personal cellar that it was not backed by the winery but by him. I find that extremely odd.

Case closed.
No case not closed for the rest of us. I, for one, would never buy a bottle of wine from a winery that won't stand behind it because I bought it at retail and not from them directly. Doesn't matter who I bought it from, a corked bottle is the fault of the cork and the winery and they should replace it.
I'm a Port drinking fool!
http://www.fortheloveofport.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ftlop.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GregT

#143 Post by GregT » February 24th, 2017, 4:27 pm

Absolutely. It's a dopey policy. Case is closed for Brian because he received some deserved satisfaction, which he expected, but why would a winery have a policy like that? As a few dozen people have pointed out, TCA isn't something that happens post-winery. It's the one thing that they can be certain is their fault.

Only thing I can think of is that maybe they're concerned that people will bring back bottles for all kinds of reasons that would not be the fault of the winery - like leaving the wine on top of the fridge for a year or in the trunk of the car for a few months or just not liking the wine. But they should replace corked wine.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

ncostanzo1
GCC Member
GCC Member

#144 Post by ncostanzo1 » February 24th, 2017, 4:40 pm

Case closed.
I was getting ready to call "7 on your side" -- I am guessing that local Bay Area reference will likely not resonate with many [snort.gif]
Nick

brodie thomson

#145 Post by brodie thomson » February 24th, 2017, 4:48 pm

Slight thread drift question. This is real situation for me. I buy very highly allocated wines (e.g. Roumier, Rousseau, Mugnier, Dujac, Raveneau) from retailers who only receive miniscual quantities each year. A very small number of long term buyers get an allocation of just a few bottles each.

What do you think should the retailer do, when I come back with a badly corked bottle? Mostly I am keeping these wines for extended periods without openeing them so it is often 10+ years since sale before I open them.

The retailers cannot replace the bottle. They struggle each year to maintain their allocations in face of burgeoning global demand so they tread carefully with the domaines and importers.

For those ITB, what would you do in this situation?

So far I have not returned any bottles as I have mostly regarded it as just one of those things in collecting wine and have accepted the loss.

Brodie

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#146 Post by Mark Y » February 24th, 2017, 4:49 pm

Is it fair to disclose the winery now? Since it's not bashing and the specific issue is resolved. If it's a winery policy and they stand behind it, then it's really not negative either? More for academic discussion?
At this point I don't think the winery would have anything to hide or be ashamed of?
Y.e.

Paul Luckin

#147 Post by Paul Luckin » February 24th, 2017, 4:56 pm

ncostanzo1 wrote:

Case closed.
I was getting ready to call "7 on your side" -- I am guessing that local Bay Area reference will likely not resonate with many [snort.gif]
\m/ >_< \m/

ITB once again

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#148 Post by Brian Tuite » February 24th, 2017, 5:00 pm

Mark Y wrote:Is it fair to disclose the winery now? Since it's not bashing and the specific issue is resolved. If it's a winery policy and they stand behind it, then it's really not negative either? More for academic discussion?
At this point I don't think the winery would have anything to hide or be ashamed of?
image.jpeg

2020 WOTY Candidates

AndrewH

#149 Post by AndrewH » February 24th, 2017, 7:05 pm

Paul Luckin wrote:
ncostanzo1 wrote:

Case closed.
DC too:

Andrew H e i m e r t

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#150 Post by Brian Tuite » February 24th, 2017, 7:45 pm

AndrewH wrote:
Paul Luckin wrote:
ncostanzo1 wrote:

DC too:

Typical D.C., 5 people appointed to do the job of one. ;-)

2020 WOTY Candidates

Return to “Wine Talk”