Is California making headway on the Rose front?

Three good ones: Matthaisson, Arnot Roberts, and Bedrock “Ode to Lulu.” Lucia (get it - Lucy?) is very fine too.

The '16 A-R (sipping now) is something of a revelation: focused, savory, crisp and refreshing.

Lorenza is lovely. It’s my current favorite.

Considering that I could probably name a couple of dozen others that are easily as good as the ones you mentioned, I’d answer yes to your question. Lots of very fine ones out there these days, overall great improvement over the California rosés of 10-15 years ago.

Agreed. And just because it was so surprising, Larry did a really nice one at Tercero last year, from Mourvedre. With just the merest hint of pink, it packed a lot of flavor and aroma.

You are just noticing? This is not news.

Lamborn is making a great rosé up on Howell Mtn.

And Virage makes a nice one from Cab Franc.

Hard to beat France for QPR. I see lots of $25+ from CA that get smoked by $15 french bottles

+1 best rose’ I ever had was from Bandol. Blows Cali away.

Tercero Rose is my favorite bar none … Matthiasson right up there as well - between them I am happy to drink Rose often.

The Matthiasson tops the heap for me. There have been a couple of vintages of the Arnot-Roberts that were right there.

Jamie Kutch does a great job as well.

Tercero and Stolpman as well as Bedrock are delicious.

It’s easy to be that guy who says what about Bandol. There are a lot of great ones from there but I love the ones I mentioned above for pure enjoyment.

Thanks for the kind words, all. Gotta say that my 2016 Mourvedre Rose is pretty special, and I’ve been treating it more like a red wine rather than white, pouring it closer to room temperature. It really makes the aromatics soar and accentuates the texture . . .

I am that guy. [cheers.gif]

Interesting because I have found the Arnot-Roberts Rose to be disappointingly uneven. Their first vintage (2011) knocked my flipping socks off and I eagerly bought the next two vintages as a result. But I found subsequent vintages to be quite ordinary and a let down after that first stellar release. I haven’t had it for the last couple years … but would buy again no question if it approached the heights of their first vintage … Also I’m a sucker for that pretty clear glass bottle with the flower (fuschia?) label.

The 2011 is the vintage that blew me away, and I really liked 2012.

Thanks, David. I guess I’m happy to know I’ve not been missing out since I jumped ship…

Cep (Peay) is one to watch for as well.

Navarro Mendocino Rosé (Grenache/Carignane) is my favorite from CA. And that color!

Tercero and Liquid Farm are stellar.

Navarro,have one in the the refrigerator. We’ll see.

Southern France… tough to beat the QPR.

There is lots of great wine and great values in California rose. Bandol, too, but I can find things I like both places, and other places, no need to use one place as a club on another.