Oregon trip in march: what wine town to stay in?

2 of the 3 days of march 17-19 we want to stay either in McMinnville, Dundee, or newberg. We want to go to the best possible vineyards (which we’re talking now about) but what town do you recommend for a combination of beauty and being open late if we want to be at a bar / restaurant? Also if here’s any particular event during that time anyone recommends please let us know. Thank you for your help. Btw, if anyone is interested in meeting I may be able to travel with some burgundy gems.

David

1 Like

David,

You’ve heard the phrase, “They roll up the streets at 9PM.”?
Welcome to Newberg, home of George Fox University. I exaggerate a little. There is now a bar/restaurant that is open later, Ruddick/Wood.

There is a little more going on in McMinville, but it is a quiet town at night.

Dundee is basically a place to slow down traffic, with a few good restaurants and lots of tasting rooms. Red Hills market is a good place to get beer and a casual meal, but they close at 8PM.

P Hickner

McMinnville. Stay in 3rd St. Flats.

I recommend McMinnville. Dundee has little in the way of dinner restaurants (although its Red Hills Market is a great breakfast or lunch stop while going to/from Dundee). Meanwhile. Newberg is farther north than many of the wineries, and gets you tied up in traffic when you are going or coming. That said, the Allison Inn & Spa is a nice property. McMinnville has 5-6 very good dinner restaurant choices and 2-3 options for breakfast. Plus, it’s central to heading north to Dundee or south to Eola-Amity.

And +1 to Todd’s recommendation re 3rd Street Flats. That’s our go-to choice.

Good luck, and enjoy the trip!

1 Like

Don’t forget Carlton. I do not think they unroll the streets in the morning, but at least one good restaurant and a lot of good wineries in town and the surrounding vicinity.

I actually like Newborn. It’s quiet…which i like. I guess it depends on what you want…

Stay in Mac. 3rd St Flats are fantastic, really. Multiple breakfast spots within walking distance, nice dinner menus all along 3rd St., a tap house downstairs and a bodega across the street. No brainer

I’d also say Mac…or just pony up for The Allison. Mac gets you closer to some great wineries, The Allison is just super nice and relatively close to other great wineries.

“Open Late” what about just staying in Portland and driving down? Many choices for restaurants and hotels, and decent night life. Yes the drive in/out is dull, but it’s not a crazy option. Urban experience vs. small town quiet, choose what tickles your fancy.

Have done it, and agree.

The trip is an hour+ with the best of traffic.

If you decide to stay in McMinville, I agree with Todd Hamina and the 3rd Street flats recommendation. I stayed there for Valentines Day and would go back again.

+1 on this.

Also:

Coffee at Flag & Wire

Breakfast: Crescent Cafe or Community Plate
Lunch: Valley Commissary or Pura Vida
Dinner: Thistle, Nick’s, or Bistro Maison

Bar: Back bar at Nick’s or Thistle

…and Peter is right. The valley is not really a “late” place.

This is by far the best advice you’ll get.

Yes, and getting back to Portland can take a lot longer than that in the afternoon/evening. I’d say stay in wine country while tasting and try to have at least one night in Portland outside of that.

This might be the best idea. Mac is really the only “big” town out that way and even still by 10 PM it will be done but there are a lot more options in that place than any other. Portland really is not too terrible to drive to and from. I do it most every day. From downtown to, say, Dundee Hills wineries you are looking at about 32 miles. Morning traffic is almost never any sort of issue. Afternoons can be longer but it’s not like it is San Francisco or Seattle or LA. If you want to make sure you have a night or two with later options plan for Portland for a bit of the trip.

It’s not always the easiest drive after a day of tasting and eating…Plus the vagaries of traffic.

my advise would be to dive DEEP into Pinot Noir’s take a notebook to take notes is key, so you’ll have record of what you liked and make purchases when you return home

I’m planning a visit to the area myself in May. Anyone have any good restaurant recs?

McMinnville:

Valley Commissary for lunch
Thistle, Nick’s, Bistro Maison, Pura Vida for dinner
Crescent Cafe or Community Plate for breakfast

Coffee: Flag and Wire

Newberg:

Recipe, Jory, Ruddick-Wood for dinner

Carlton: Horseradish for lunch or dinner
Also Farmer’s Plate

Dundee: Tina’s for dinner
Red Hills Market for coffee breakfast,
Lunch, or an early bite