Suggestions for a wedding rosé

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Danny L.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1 Post by Danny L. » March 1st, 2017, 11:48 am

Hi all,

I'm planning a morning wedding in June, and we're going to be having a brunch reception--think omelettes and crepes and the like. There will be prosecco, mimosas, bloody Mary's and beer, but I haven't picked a wine yet.

Given that it's a late spring/early summer day, I think a rosé would be a nice all purpose wine. We expect about 120 people, so the wine will have to be readily available for purchase--as much as I'd love to pour bedrock, matthiasson, and the like, I don't think they have 4-5 cases on hand for me to gobble up.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you all might have, and it'd be nice to keep it around or below $20/bottle.
L = Lo

Ed Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2 Post by Ed Cooper » March 1st, 2017, 12:12 pm

You can easily buy 5 cases of Bedrock rose for around $20 or less. For example: http://m.klwines.com/p/i?i=1293784

Alicia C.

#3 Post by Alicia C. » March 1st, 2017, 12:13 pm

Try Red Car rosé. Always a crowd pleaser. Even the bottle/label is pretty and gets some attention. Check wine-searcher for retailers ... can usually find bottles for $18-22/bottle (which is cheaper than going through the winery directly) and I'm sure there are probably some retailers with case discounts that will bring the price down a bit more, too.

Also Lioco makes a really nice rosé at about the same retail price.
last name starts with a CY and ends with PRESS
I'm @itswinebyme on Twitter and Tumblr

Mel Hill

#4 Post by Mel Hill » March 1st, 2017, 12:18 pm

Assuming you are purchasing these at retail and buying somewhere around 4 cases of rosé why not consider sampling what is avail a few weeks out from the event and then (same day) purchasing 3 or 4 different bottlings?
To lock in your rosé "tasting" for your wedding bar.

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by lleichtman » March 1st, 2017, 12:47 pm

Alicia C. wrote:Try Red Car rosé. Always a crowd pleaser. Even the bottle/label is pretty and gets some attention. Check wine-searcher for retailers ... can usually find bottles for $18-22/bottle (which is cheaper than going through the winery directly) and I'm sure there are probably some retailers with case discounts that will bring the price down a bit more, too.

+1 on the Red Car/ Yup, the winery direct price is $25 but I buy them for $20.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

Sarah Kirschbaum

#6 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » March 1st, 2017, 1:09 pm

Domaine Triennes is a lovely provencal style rose that is usually available around $15. A crowd pleaser and very food friendly with bright acid and sunny strawberries and watermelon.

Adam Noble
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Adam Noble » March 1st, 2017, 1:14 pm

Ameztoi Txakoli Rose is my go to and I have purchased it for 2 weddings of friends. Can be had for less than $20 and is great. And if there are any bottles left over, lucky you!

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Chris Seiber » March 1st, 2017, 1:14 pm

Mel Hill wrote:Assuming you are purchasing these at retail and buying somewhere around 4 cases of rosé why not consider sampling what is avail a few weeks out from the event and then (same day) purchasing 3 or 4 different bottlings?
To lock in your rosé "tasting" for your wedding bar.
This is a perfect suggestion.

JeromeHan

#9 Post by JeromeHan » March 1st, 2017, 1:20 pm

I've always liked Bila Haut rose for value.

Vince T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Vince T » March 1st, 2017, 1:27 pm

Adam Noble wrote:Ameztoi Txakoli Rose is my go to and I have purchased it for 2 weddings of friends. Can be had for less than $20 and is great. And if there are any bottles left over, lucky you!
+1 on Ametzoi

Also, the Commanderie de la Bargemone Coteaux d'Aix-en-Provence is great value at $12-13 / bottle.
T s 3 n g

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Chris Seiber » March 1st, 2017, 3:39 pm

The other reason to taste first is that you're likely to end up with a lot of it afterwards.

Stepping outside the WB bubble, the percentage of people who drink rose, especially with brunch, is very low. Especially in a public setting and when an assortment of other booze is available, guys aren't going to want to look chicky, etc.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it's probably so. And in case I'm right and you have 23 bottles left over, it might as well be your favorite $15 rose of all.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#12 Post by Merrill Lindquist » March 1st, 2017, 3:54 pm

Virage. Emily Richer is a member here. Not sure if she can accommodate, but she receives stellar reviews for her Rose. It's quite nice.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s » March 1st, 2017, 4:59 pm

Try Jean-Luc Colombo's rose as well. It's a sturdy, tasty rose at 9-10 dollars a bottle. Will mix well with prosecco and strawberries.
Cheers,
Paul

Ted Alexander

#14 Post by Ted Alexander » March 1st, 2017, 5:16 pm

Tavel!

Vince T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Vince T » March 1st, 2017, 6:01 pm

Chris Seiber wrote:The other reason to taste first is that you're likely to end up with a lot of it afterwards.

Stepping outside the WB bubble, the percentage of people who drink rose, especially with brunch, is very low. Especially in a public setting and when an assortment of other booze is available, guys aren't going to want to look chicky, etc.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it's probably so. And in case I'm right and you have 23 bottles left over, it might as well be your favorite $15 rose of all.
That assumes it's going to be a hetero wedding!
T s 3 n g

David_K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by David_K » March 1st, 2017, 6:16 pm

I like Muga rose (rosado) at around ~$13/bottle.
K@ntrОwi╦z

JeromeHan

#17 Post by JeromeHan » March 1st, 2017, 6:30 pm

David_K wrote:I like Muga rose (rosado) at around ~$13/bottle.
Where do you guys find these spanish roses? I can't find any for the life of me. I've been looking everywhere for the ldh rose.

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Michae1 P0wers » March 1st, 2017, 6:32 pm

Ametzoi is a great idea. Bastide Blanche Bandol. You may be able to get a deal on Gros Nore for just under $20 and it's lovely.

David_K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by David_K » March 1st, 2017, 6:37 pm

JeromeHan wrote:
Where do you guys find these spanish roses? I can't find any for the life of me. I've been looking everywhere for the ldh rose.
Muga is pretty widely available. And it's what I'd call Provencal in style and nothing like LdH.
K@ntrОwi╦z

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » March 1st, 2017, 7:08 pm

JeromeHan wrote:
LdH won't be easy to find. The latest release is 2001 but there are no bottles for sale in the USA per WS pro.

JeromeHan

#21 Post by JeromeHan » March 1st, 2017, 7:20 pm

[beg.gif]
Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
JeromeHan wrote:
LdH won't be easy to find. The latest release is 2001 but there are no bottles for sale in the USA per WS pro.
[beg.gif]

M Mager

#22 Post by M Mager » March 1st, 2017, 10:27 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
JeromeHan wrote:
Tom, I'm pretty sure the last vintage of RLdH rose released into the market was 2000. Are you saying you've actually seen a bottle of 2001?
Michael

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » March 2nd, 2017, 5:15 am

2001 is listed on CT but the LdH website lists 2000 as the latest vintage so CT entries must be wrong.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#24 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » March 2nd, 2017, 5:32 am

Whether or not it could be found, and regardless of vintage, LdH would be my last choice on earth for a wedding rose. It's one of the weirdest wines out there! I like it, but boy is it an odd duck.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » March 2nd, 2017, 5:50 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:Whether or not it could be found, and regardless of vintage, LdH would be my last choice on earth for a wedding rose. It's one of the weirdest wines out there! I like it, but boy is it an odd duck.
Surely, this isn't the first example of thread drift. Your disclaimer is a good idea.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#26 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » March 2nd, 2017, 6:04 am

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:Whether or not it could be found, and regardless of vintage, LdH would be my last choice on earth for a wedding rose. It's one of the weirdest wines out there! I like it, but boy is it an odd duck.
Surely, this isn't the first example of thread drift. Your disclaimer is a good idea.
Not sure I understand your point. I realize it could not be a serious contender. Just adding my thoughts about the LdR rose as a very strange and polarizing wine - something that strikes me every time I taste it. Someone who has never had it before might appreciate knowing that it's in a category all its own.

James D

#27 Post by James D » March 2nd, 2017, 6:20 am

Côtes de Provence is a very elegant rosé. May be cliche, but Chateau d'Esclans Whispering Angel is always good bet. Should run about $20/bottle...maybe less if you buy by the case.
J D o y l e

Vince T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Vince T » March 2nd, 2017, 6:40 am

Totally agree with Sarah... ldh would make a terrible wedding wine. It would be like serving an orange wine.

Also, not all other Spanish roses are the same. The ametzoi is very different in style than the Provençal roses... it's like a cool climate rose from cab franc made by the ocean (I believe hondorrabi beltza is genetically the same as cab franc). Zippy, saline, and electric.
Last edited by Vince T on March 3rd, 2017, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
T s 3 n g

Danny L.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Danny L. » March 2nd, 2017, 10:34 am

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I can't believe I forgot Red Car!

I like the rosé tasting idea. I just have to sell it to the fiancée.

And, I don't think men are going to shy away from rosé. It's been pretty popular in Southern California for the past couple of years.
L = Lo

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Peter Kleban » March 2nd, 2017, 12:22 pm

A few I like (IIRC these are all in your price range)
Domaine La Suffrene Bandol Rosé
Domaine Labbé Vin de Savoie (make sure it's rosé, they have several wines with almost the same name)
Elisabetta Fagiuoli Sono Montenidoli Canaiulol Toscana IGT
François Chidaine Touraine Rosé
Bob Wood:
"Peter..your well-reasoned words were a waste of time."
WsOTY:
Petrolo Galatrona '13
Danl Dampt & Fils Chablis 1er Côte Léchet '16
D Ph Charlopin Gevrey-Chamb Evocelles '11
Vigot Vosne-Romanée Chalandins '16
Patricia Green Mysterious '16
Paetra Pinot Blanc Coast Rng '18
Terrien Chardonnay '15
Dirty & Rowdy Evangelho '17

Jared Wagner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Jared Wagner » March 2nd, 2017, 1:48 pm

Danny L. wrote:And, I don't think men are going to shy away from rosé. It's been pretty popular in Southern California for the past couple of years.
According to this...it's all the rage for young men...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filt ... ummer.html

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Chris Seiber » March 2nd, 2017, 2:52 pm

Danny L. wrote:Thanks for all of the suggestions. I can't believe I forgot Red Car!

I like the rosé tasting idea. I just have to sell it to the fiancée.

And, I don't think men are going to shy away from rosé. It's been pretty popular in Southern California for the past couple of years.
Though what you drink at home is different than what you order at a wedding reception or at the singles bar.

I hope everyone loves it. I'm just saying, consider that you might have a lot of wine left over afterwards, and make sure it's something you'll be happy to drink cases of.

Corey N.

#33 Post by Corey N. » March 2nd, 2017, 2:59 pm

Chris Seiber wrote: I'm just saying, consider that you might have a lot of wine left over afterwards, and make sure it's something you'll be happy to drink cases of.
I know a number of local places that would take back the extras -- might make sense for the OP to see whether his local retailers would have a similar policy.

Also, nice new avatar Cap'n.
WOTY: 2013 d’Yquem

Nøv¡¢k

KatrinaBI

#34 Post by KatrinaBI » March 2nd, 2017, 3:37 pm

Jared Wagner wrote:
Danny L. wrote:And, I don't think men are going to shy away from rosé. It's been pretty popular in Southern California for the past couple of years.
According to this...it's all the rage for young men...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filt ... ummer.html
Well, the boys may very well drink "brose," but let's face it, real men drink LDH...(at least in public) [snort.gif]

Hans Werge

#35 Post by Hans Werge » March 3rd, 2017, 5:23 am

Vince T wrote:Totally agree with Sarah... ldh would make a terrible wedding wine. It would be like serving an orange wine.

Also, not all other Spanish roses are the same. The ametzoi is very different in style than the Provençal roses... it's like a cool climate rose from cab franc made by the ocean (I believe hondorrabi zuri is genetically the same as cab franc). Zippy, saline, and electric.
Sorry to be pedantic/geeky, but the above is not correct or precise. Hondarrabi Zuri is a white variety. The local red is called Hondarrabi Beltza. Apparently, they are not related. I have never heard or seen any reference to H. Beltza being Cab Franc and I believe the knowledge as it stands now consider it a local variety not identical to other known varieties. This may of course be proven wrong with more research. I believe you may be confusing Mencia from Bierzo with the basque red variety? This was believed to be Cab Franc for a period of time (though now proven not to be). You can read a bit more on local basque varieties here:

http://fringewine.blogspot.com/2012/03/ ... c.html?m=1

End of thread drift. I agree that LdH rosé would be bad choice for a big party :-)

Mel Hill

#36 Post by Mel Hill » March 3rd, 2017, 7:05 am

Glad you like the rosé tasting idea! Be sure to let the bar staff know to not open EVERY BOTTLE prior to service. I've seen that at so many wedding.

Al Osterheld

#37 Post by Al Osterheld » March 3rd, 2017, 7:26 am

Some of the roses, including the Chateau Triennes that Sarah recommended, are closed with screw caps. That pretty much eliminates any reason to open bottles before needed.

-Al

Lee Short
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Lee Short » March 3rd, 2017, 8:51 am

Vince T wrote:
Adam Noble wrote:Ameztoi Txakoli Rose is my go to and I have purchased it for 2 weddings of friends. Can be had for less than $20 and is great. And if there are any bottles left over, lucky you!
+1 on Ametzoi

Also, the Commanderie de la Bargemone Coteaux d'Aix-en-Provence is great value at $12-13 / bottle.
+1 on both of these. Lots of great suggestions in this thread.

Another great rose is the Baudry from the Loire.

Vince T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Vince T » March 3rd, 2017, 9:20 am

Hans Werge wrote:
Vince T wrote:Totally agree with Sarah... ldh would make a terrible wedding wine. It would be like serving an orange wine.

Also, not all other Spanish roses are the same. The ametzoi is very different in style than the Provençal roses... it's like a cool climate rose from cab franc made by the ocean (I believe hondorrabi zuri is genetically the same as cab franc). Zippy, saline, and electric.
Sorry to be pedantic/geeky, but the above is not correct or precise. Hondarrabi Zuri is a white variety. The local red is called Hondarrabi Beltza. Apparently, they are not related. I have never heard or seen any reference to H. Beltza being Cab Franc and I believe the knowledge as it stands now consider it a local variety not identical to other known varieties. This may of course be proven wrong with more research. I believe you may be confusing Mencia from Bierzo with the basque red variety? This was believed to be Cab Franc for a period of time (though now proven not to be). You can read a bit more on local basque varieties here:

http://fringewine.blogspot.com/2012/03/ ... c.html?m=1

End of thread drift. I agree that LdH rosé would be bad choice for a big party :-)
Oops, I always get them backwards. Fixed. [cheers.gif]

As for Beltza, the internets say they are related:
http://www.wine-searcher.com/grape-1673 ... abi-beltza
http://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/ ... f-carmenet

A retailer I spoke to in Seattle last year told me that there had recently been some genetic testing done and it came out that Hondarrabi Beltza and Cab Franc (which originated in the Basque region) were both the same grape, similar to primitivo and zin. But I guess it's just hearsay at this point!
T s 3 n g

Bruce Leiser_owitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Bruce Leiser_owitz » March 3rd, 2017, 9:56 am

A great deal depends on where you are located and what's available in your local market. A lot of rose wines are available here retail in Southern California; other markets are much more limited.

I agree with the tasting suggestion, and I've done it in the past to help friends select their wedding reception wine. One tweak is to visit more than one retailer and ask them to recommend their top 2-3 roses at your price point. Then select from that larger group for a smaller tasting. Ultimately, only select one, or perhaps two, roses to serve. Having 3 or 4 different roses on hand is likely to just confuse many of your guests.

Bruce
"Bruce you are correct."--Andrew Kaufman, 3/24/13.

David White

#41 Post by David White » March 3rd, 2017, 10:03 am

Alicia C. wrote:Try Red Car rosé. Always a crowd pleaser. Even the bottle/label is pretty and gets some attention. Check wine-searcher for retailers ... can usually find bottles for $18-22/bottle (which is cheaper than going through the winery directly) and I'm sure there are probably some retailers with case discounts that will bring the price down a bit more, too.

Red Car's rosé is SO good.
Author, But First, Champagne
Founder & Editor, Terroirist.com
Contributor, Grape Collective
www.DavidWhite.wine

Doug Damron

#42 Post by Doug Damron » March 4th, 2017, 6:40 am

I'm a huge fan of rose from Bandol and you can find many around $20. However for a wedding with that many people I think you should go with a proud pleaser and something recognizable. I'd pick the Chateau Miraval. Beautiful bottle, has celebrity status and recognition appeal and the juice is actually really good. $22 a bottle online. The bottle just beats out most sitting on a table - it would be great for a wedding.

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Andrew Demaree » March 4th, 2017, 7:26 am

Haven't had it in a few vintages, but Cataldi Madonna rosato (from Montepulciano) used to be delicious for around $15.

Rick Smith

#44 Post by Rick Smith » March 4th, 2017, 6:33 pm

Bastianich rose, if you can find it locally, should be a good fit for the price.

There are also a few California producers you could probably buy in quantity from directly for your price point, I would think.

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Peter Kleban » March 4th, 2017, 7:12 pm

Peter Kleban wrote:A few I like (IIRC these are all in your price range)
Domaine La Suffrene Bandol Rosé
Domaine Labbé Vin de Savoie (make sure it's rosé, they have several wines with almost the same name)
Elisabetta Fagiuoli Sono Montenidoli Canaiulol Toscana IGT
François Chidaine Touraine Rosé
Another is Villa Wolf Pinot Noir (rosé) 2015 (from the Pfalz, Germany). This is a crowd-pleaser, drinks well, and you can get it for < $15.
Bob Wood:
"Peter..your well-reasoned words were a waste of time."
WsOTY:
Petrolo Galatrona '13
Danl Dampt & Fils Chablis 1er Côte Léchet '16
D Ph Charlopin Gevrey-Chamb Evocelles '11
Vigot Vosne-Romanée Chalandins '16
Patricia Green Mysterious '16
Paetra Pinot Blanc Coast Rng '18
Terrien Chardonnay '15
Dirty & Rowdy Evangelho '17

Nathan Smyth

#46 Post by Nathan Smyth » March 4th, 2017, 8:04 pm

For reasons that I don't understand, grapes like Poulsard drop their coloring after a few years, and become translucent.

The best "Rose" I ever had was a chilled Puffeney Poulsard M with about eight years of bottle age on it [even though it had started its life as a deep dark almost Parkerized monster of a red wine].

My guess is that the same thing might happen with grapes like Pineau d'Aunis or Gamay, so I'd be looking at wines like the following:

2007 Puffeney Poulsard, $25
http://docwineshop.com/catalog/products ... -poulsard/

2013 Puzelat Tesniere Pineau d'Aunis, $30
http://www.heritagebeverlyhills.com/col ... niere-2012

2011 Clos de la Roillette, Gamay $18.99
http://www.nywines.com/product_details.aspx?id=5575

Those are the oldest vintages of each that I could find on Free Wine-Searcher.

Chuck Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Chuck Miller » March 4th, 2017, 9:20 pm

Whatever you buy, I wouldn't get 4-5 cases of it for a "morning wedding for 120 people with prosecco, mimosas, beer and Bloody Mary's". That's 1/2 bottle per person before the other drinks are factored in. Two cases, maybe three at the outside, is plenty.
Chuck Miller

Robert B.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Robert B. » March 5th, 2017, 3:40 pm

James D wrote:Côtes de Provence is a very elegant rosé. May be cliche, but Chateau d'Esclans Whispering Angel is always good bet. Should run about $20/bottle...maybe less if you buy by the case.
I agree.
B. = Bedwell
CT: RobertB321
Vivino: Robert B
Avatar is me in Oxford England fall of 2014

Jackie L.

#49 Post by Jackie L. » March 5th, 2017, 4:21 pm

We went with 2 cases of Joseph Mellot - Sincerite Pinot noir Rose for 140 people ish - it was a big hit with the mixed wine experience crowd (ran out and we should have had three ) and not a big hit on our wallets ( granted got at near wholesale )
J. L e w a n d o w s k i

Emily Richer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#50 Post by Emily Richer » March 13th, 2017, 2:26 pm

Merrill Lindquist wrote:Virage. Emily Richer is a member here. Not sure if she can accommodate, but she receives stellar reviews for her Rose. It's quite nice.
Thanks Merrill. Danny! I'll hook you up! I would be honored if Virage Rosé were served at your wedding :)
Even with the massive BerserkerDay orders, we've got 4-5 cases for you no problem.

PM me the location--just making sure I can ship--and we'll take it from there. Obviously, I'm partial, but I think dry rosé is the perfect brunch wine and perfect wedding wine and... so... you're a double bull's eye....

Cheers!! Sorry so slow to respond - had insane storm damage, been offline
Virage Napa Valley
Winemaker, Owner & Shipping Clerk

Return to “Wine Talk”