TN: Chateau Guiraud 2007 Sauternes

Berserkers,

I’m overdue to post this note on a Sauternes which I haven’t had in a while. I’m making my way very slowly through the 07s in my collection. Sauternes can last forever and they do go through a dumb phase. Is this too soon to open? Let us see:

CHATEAU GUIRAUD 2007 SAUTERNES

OVERALL: A good Sauternes from a consistently good Sauternes producer from one of the better vintages, but it is outclassed by other makers I’ve from the 07 vintage. This is offset, however, by a very good QPR value.

The 07 Guiraud is a very nice deep golden color in the glass. On the nose, lots of sweet buckwheat honey, vanilla and dried apricot with a little touch of hay. On the palate, it is surprisingly light-bodied in texture. This gave an interesting incongruence to the wine in that it smells syrupy so you expect it to be so as well and are surprised with its lightness. Tastes of dried apricot, dried pear and dried pineapple, brown sugar and vanilla i.e. creme brulée, and buckwheat honey. One flavor that is noticeably absent, however, is some classic botrytis glycerin tingle. Maybe it’s just me but I feel that really puts a Sauternes right over the good line into greatness. Everything it has is in balance but at the same time lacks a little oomph which makes me wonder about its aging power. Drinking well right now. This is very good but could’ve been greater with a touch more body and some botrytis glycerin tingle.
20170222_205111[1].jpg

Thanks.

I’m surprised that you think it doesnt have much time. I wasnt planning on unpacking this for another 5+ yrs.

You think its starting to develop mature notes? Hard to tell from your note.

Yah i think i read his note as it doesn’t have aging potential say past 30-40 years… unlike a classic d’Yquem or something.

rather than that it doesn’t have much time left as it is. I can’t imagine a '07 sauterne having limited life left?

I was very disappointed in the development of my '01 Guirauds and stopped buying. They just don’t seem to get better with age.

I think there was a point where the older ones - as you mention - don’t really get more interesting. I used to avoid the estate, especially as they always seemed kind of flabby, as time wore on.

But the newer ones seem much more interesting.

Life must be good if this can be grouped into the QPR camp [cheers.gif]

Sorry I should clarify a couple of things. I did mean that the wine didn’t have an Yquem level lasting power when I said it wouldn’t last. I am sure it could go another decade but I nthink it will remain good but not great.

Also the bottle was acquired for less than $40 CDN upon release which I neglected to mention which is why it is such a great QPR.

i recently had the 88 and it was one of the best wines I’ve had in months. it just unfolded in the most beautiful way, listing from orange rind to tobacco back to citrus notes of lime zest to turmeric and other curried notes.